LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20 Sep 2013, 03:44 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default PT Suspension questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by randyincctx View Post
The Watts link & bellcrank are numbered #3-10 in this photo(all PTs have them):

Attachment 9036

Sorry to quote you way out here but I don't like hijacking other people's threads. I see that part on my car, what am I looking for when I inspect it?

Also, I assume these are the front sway bar bushings, what am I looking for in these too?

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5349/9...beecc705_o.jpg

Last edited by dom92; 20 Sep 2013 at 03:46 pm.
Old 20 Sep 2013, 03:59 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: PT Suspension questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by dom92 View Post
Sorry to quote you way out here but I don't like hijacking other people's threads. I see that part on my car, what am I looking for when I inspect it?

Also, I assume these are the front sway bar bushings, what am I looking for in these too?

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5349/9...beecc705_o.jpg
You need to visually look for any damage. You can do a couple of things to determine there soundness. One is to manual rock the rear end up and down and lessen for clunking squeaking rattling etc. Next is to get under there and grab on to the upper and lower arms and pus pull them. there should be no play. Most all PTs will have play in them which is to some degree can be called normal wear. personally if there is play it is time to replace the parts. These parts are inexpensive readily available and easy to change. No special tools required.

Those are sway bar bushing in the picture. If the rubber has cracks and show signs of deteriorating replace them. IMO like the watts link cheap and easy to replace just do it?

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN

Last edited by NitroPT; 20 Sep 2013 at 04:03 pm.
Old 20 Sep 2013, 04:04 pm
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroPT View Post
You need to visually look for any damage. You can do a couple of things to determine there soundness. One is to manual rock the rear end up and down and lessen for clunking squeaking rattling etc. Next is to get under there and grab on to the upper and lower arms and pus pull them. there should be no play. Most all PTs will have play in them which is to some degree can be called normal wear. personally if there is play it is time to replace the parts. These parts are inexpensive readily available and easy to change. No special tools required.

Those are sway bar bushing in the picture. If the rubber has cracks and show signs of deteriorating replace them. IMO like the watts link cheap and easy to replace just do it?
Just spent $600 on my car to do the 120k service and replace a few things that were going bad and have about $15 in extra cash for the next month, so unless that watts link is $15 and I don't need to replace anything else, sure . But otherwise no I can't afford to replace it. The joys of being a poor college student never end.

I'll keep it in mind for later once the coffers are replenished.

Rocking the car leads to no noises. The noise really only appears after about a half hour of driving and only on bad roads, and still it's only audible if the stereo is off. Sounds like it's coming from passenger's side but when I had a mechanic look at it they said they could find nothing wrong with any of the suspension components. Suspension itself doesn't bounce excessively over bumps or anything.

Last edited by dom92; 20 Sep 2013 at 04:07 pm.
Old 20 Sep 2013, 04:12 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Most including "mechanic" do not properly check the watts link.
I will find a picture I posted on how to do it.

Dalai Lama
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 20 Sep 2013, 04:20 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Push and pull hard...you should not get any play or movement. Normally only the center watts link and hardware needs to be replaced. The rod ends generally will go high mileage because of all the sloppy play in the engineering of this system that does not wear them out under normal use?

$25 free shipping this is a Dorman the most commonly sold replacement manufactured aftermarket wattslink.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/DORMAN-905-2...15852e&vxp=mtr

It does NOT come with a new bolt which I highly suggest replacing at the time of the watts link.

Dalai Lama
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN

Last edited by NitroPT; 20 Sep 2013 at 04:26 pm.
Old 20 Sep 2013, 04:20 pm
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
Most including "mechanic" do not properly check the watts link.
I will find a picture I posted on how to do it.

Very true. I will test it out and if it needs replacing I can in a week or two, but if it's just "wearing" and not "ready to go" yet, I'll have to wait.

P.S. checked the front sway bushing and there are no visible cracks that I can see.
Old 20 Sep 2013, 04:24 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Lightbulb Re: PT Suspension questions

Based on the photo,your front end links look OK....they're no 'obviously' cracked,or anything.......I was wondering about the oil on that torque strut,but that could be spillage from changing or filling the oil;You might jet rinse @ car wash (use 'Engine Cleaner' or 'Degreaser' setting) under the engine next time,and see of it comes back,though.
Old 20 Sep 2013, 04:27 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Wink Re: PT Suspension questions

Quote:
Push and pull hard...you should not get any play or movement. Normally only the center watts link and hardware needs to be replaced. The rod ends generally will go high mileage because of all the sloppy play in the engineering of this system that does not wear them out under normal use?
LMBO.....I bet when you did that,your elbow got dirtier than your hands!
Old 20 Sep 2013, 04:28 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by dom92 View Post
Very true. I will test it out and if it needs replacing I can in a week or two, but if it's just "wearing" and not "ready to go" yet, I'll have to wait.

P.S. checked the front sway bushing and there are no visible cracks that I can see.
Ya I saw the picture they didn't look bad. Generally they just get squished and out of shape.

Dalai Lama
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 20 Sep 2013, 04:31 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by randyincctx View Post
LMBO.....I bet when you did that,your elbow got dirtier than your hands!
Dude..(Bones Randy) com'on the driveway gets washed regularly like the cars!! I can work on anything in the driveway not worry about what I am wearing getting soiled! Wife says I have a little senior OCD... I think she is wrong!

Dalai Lama
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN