Advertisements
2006 Automatic

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Busted_PT

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22 Sep 2013, 06:59 am
Fresh Cruiser

Question 2006 Automatic

I have an automatic 2006 PT Cruiser Touring Edition - The past week it has been getting harder to change gears. Tonight it took both hands to pull it into gear. What could cause this? I was thinking maybe someone spilled something in there, but it would not have been that hard to move. Any ideas? Thanks
Old 22 Sep 2013, 07:46 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: 2006 Automatic

Teri, welcome to the forum.

If it was a stick shift, your problems would most likely be Booger Bushings but being an automatic, it may be internal. How many miles on your PT? Has the ATF+4 trans fluid ever been flushed?

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 22 Sep 2013, 08:32 am
Obsessed Cruiser

I think I would go out under the hood, under the battery and air cleaner box and oil the shaft that the shift cable connects too. Right at the base where it goes into the transmission case. Next I would try the cable ends. If you disconnect the cable from the trans. you should be able to move it freely if it is ok. If not, the problem is the cable or shift leaver and concentrate you lubing in those areas.
mityqwik likes this.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 22 Sep 2013, 12:21 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Wink Re: 2006 Automatic

CREWZIN, it has about 125,000 miles on it. I am not sure if the transmission fluid has been changed. I will find out.

BUSTED_PT, I will try what you suggested and let you know.

Thank You both for your replies
Old 22 Sep 2013, 12:57 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teri View Post
CREWZIN, it has about 125,000 miles on it. I am not sure if the transmission fluid has been changed. I will find out.

BUSTED_PT, I will try what you suggested and let you know.

Thank You both for your replies
You're welcome, keep us posted.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 30 May 2014, 12:42 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I have a strange PT, it looks like the base model, but the instrument cluster looks like the Turbo, the tach goes up to 8000 rpm and the Speedo up to 140 mph /240 kph. The gear indicator. Shows P. R. N D only yet the floor indicator shows P. R. N. D. 3 1. If you try it to manually put the transmission in 3 or 1 it won't move. I can watch the tach as I move from a stop to highway speeds and can see that the transmission is shifting. But at 100kph /60 mph the engine is reving about 3000 rpm ( my uplander van sits at 2000 rpm at the same speed)
I have an OBD reader and it does not show any problem, in the winter the engine would misfire and the OBD showed. 2 &3 miss firing and new plugs cured that. The fuel mileage is in the 15 mpg range and I just don't know if the transmission is a problem or if it's the right foot of my daughter. BTW it was an abused car, the air box was taped together because the plastic parts were broken off the front suspension needed new control arms and bushings, the front wheel bearings roared and needed replacing. And every time I go under the engine to change oil I find more bolts and nuts missing. It looks like someone swapped the engine and only put back 1/2 of the nuts and bolts. The guy I bought it from was selling it for the owner and had no info whatsoever. But $2500 for an 06 with 140000km was a good deal and at -35 and not plugged in and the low fuel light on it started first crank. Which reminds me I found a second 110 plug tucked into a wiring bundle under the engine and I have to check that too. Like I said a strange vehicle.
Old 30 May 2014, 01:37 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

im guessing this is the desiel we arnt that lucky over here
Old 30 May 2014, 01:41 pm
Banned

holy thread revival batman!