Advertisements
Suspension Bushing Lubrication?

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By randyincctx

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27 Sep 2013, 11:13 pm
Banned

Default Suspension Bushing Lubrication?

I have an '06 Touring Edition with 96,000 miles. I could not find anything in a previous thread that answered my question, so I posted a new thread. Has anyone had any experience with lubricating the rubber suspension bushings on their PT? Don't do it? What kind of lubricant to use if one decides to do it?

A couple of years ago, all of the rubber suspension and sway bar bushings have been replaced under my extended warranty. The control arm bushings were torn and the sway bar bushings were just dry rotted and caused a lot of squeaking.

Many warnings on the net advise against using any kind of an oil or petroleum base lubricant on rubber bushings as it can degrade the rubber. I think silicone is too thin, what about a teflon based lubricant?

My local Chrysler dealership doesn't have any recommendations because there is nothing mentioned about this in their manuals. I would appreciate any insight as I would like to prolong the life of the new bushings as my extended warranty will soon expire.

Last edited by rckstein; 27 Sep 2013 at 11:17 pm.
Old 28 Sep 2013, 06:19 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Suspension Bushing Lubrication?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rckstein View Post
I have an '06 Touring Edition with 96,000 miles. I could not find anything in a previous thread that answered my question, so I posted a new thread. Has anyone had any experience with lubricating the rubber suspension bushings on their PT? Don't do it? What kind of lubricant to use if one decides to do it?

A couple of years ago, all of the rubber suspension and sway bar bushings have been replaced under my extended warranty. The control arm bushings were torn and the sway bar bushings were just dry rotted and caused a lot of squeaking.

Many warnings on the net advise against using any kind of an oil or petroleum base lubricant on rubber bushings as it can degrade the rubber. I think silicone is too thin, what about a teflon based lubricant?

My local Chrysler dealership doesn't have any recommendations because there is nothing mentioned about this in their manuals. I would appreciate any insight as I would like to prolong the life of the new bushings as my extended warranty will soon expire.
Maybe a product that is made for rubber, such as tir shine and such. The taflon still may have some patrolum products in it. You will have to check.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 28 Sep 2013, 08:22 am
Obsessed Cruiser

When I bought a rear sway bar, it came with a small tube of lubricant for the bushings - maybe contact Eibach for a lubricant....

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 28 Sep 2013, 01:15 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Cool Re: Suspension Bushing Lubrication?

Probably a Silicone spray.

2011 GWE Dodge Challenger SRT8 as Show Car
2003 PT Cruiser GT Panel Van Conversion as new day driver.

Have now owned 6 PT Cruisers = Me PT Crazy!
Old 28 Sep 2013, 03:36 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Lightbulb Re: Suspension Bushing Lubrication?

Energy Suspension - Bushing Lubricant "Formula 5" Pre-Lube is a versatile, waterproof, non-melting grease. It forms a tough, durable, chemical resistant film of lubricant. Prevents metal-to-metal contact even under severe shock loads. Only a small amount is required to properly lubricate bushings and metal components and to prevent corrosion. Energy Suspension 9.11110 - Bushing Lubricant | O'Reilly Auto Parts
rcktpwrd likes this.
Old 28 Sep 2013, 04:28 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: only here will you read this info lol

Any *Propylene glyco wiped or sprayed on rubber suspension components will not only stop the squeaks but slow down the deterioration.

There was a really good product available years ago in small quantity retail containers i.e.8oz. But the Chemical supplier that bottled this under the McKay lable decided to remove and sell minimum 1 gal case 4 wholesale only. There are many companies that buy this chemical and mix it with a thickener and offer or include in their individual parts?

*Not all anti freeze is straight PG. You can also get a food approved PG. 1,2-Propanediol works as well.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN

Last edited by NitroPT; 28 Sep 2013 at 04:39 pm.
Old 29 Sep 2013, 11:27 am
Veteran Cruiser

There isn't any rubber that needs lubrication except, possibly, sway bar bushings.

Lower Control Arm ( "LCA") bushings flex; it wold be like lubricating a torsion spring, just no need for it.

Aftermarket Urethane bushings come with lube, they work differently that OE style bushings, though.