Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
More on fuel mileage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29 Sep 2013, 01:49 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default More on fuel mileage

New owner of 2005 Touring Convertible with 44km. Did a 500 km highway trip last week. I use Stabil Marine formula ethanol treatment in the fuel in my Cruiser and also in our Kia Rondo, Dodge Grand Caravan and our boat, all of which take regular gas. The marine formula is the cheaper of their selection to use, and I'm fairly sure that it's likely the same formula with a different colour (blue) than their automotive ethanol treatment. I've found a discernible difference in fuel mileage and in engine smoothness since I started using this stuff a year ago. Could be wishful thinking, but my calculations continue to show better mileage.

Anyway, the car used exactly 40 litres of fuel in 501 km. That's 8 l/100Km or 29.4 mpg (US) or 35.3 mpg (Imp). Ambient temps that day were about 16C or 62F. Not too shabby...but that was about 95% highway at speeds up to 120 Km/h (70 mph) for much of the 500 Km. It happened to be Esso gas, not that it matters.

This is my first post, but I have benefited already from much of the commentary on the tech side. Thank you for this. My next task is to change the coolant to Zerex G-05 this coming week.
Old 01 Oct 2013, 01:43 am
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: More on fuel mileage

epiq; I too use the marine formula [different brand] in mowers, chain saws, and for long term auto storage. It seems to last about a year. Could be luck though. This 10% ethanol gas causes a lot of problems with carbureated engines. It breaks down into smegma like stuff that sits in the bottom of the bowl, gets sucked up into the jets, then the engine dies. I know of no chemical that breaks it down!!!

I try to avoid adding chemicals to the gas tank unless they state 'will not harm o2 sensors'.
Old 01 Oct 2013, 03:06 pm
Fresh Cruiser

PT06.....thanks for the timely advice about the 02 sensor possible damage. That never occurred to me. May have to have a second thought about Stabil's marine product and switch back to Lucas or some other similar product. Thanks for the gentle reminder..!

2005 Touring, 54600 Km (non turbo)
Old 01 Oct 2013, 09:23 pm
Fresh Cruiser

So you guys using this as fuel system cleaner?
Old 02 Oct 2013, 01:42 am
Senior Cruiser

Tony; I do not use it for a cleaner. Only as a preservative to keep the fuel from chemically breaking down. Fuel injected vehicles seem to have less of a problem, possibly due to being a sealed system?
Old 02 Oct 2013, 10:19 am
Obsessed Cruiser

well fuel dosent stay in my tank long enought to break down