PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Gauges and warning lights going crazy

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01 Oct 2013, 03:03 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Gauges and warning lights going crazy

Hello all! I recently acquired an '03 PT GT. The other day I was coming home and I heard a ding and my check engine light came on. I got home and hooked up the scanner and got p0032, p0031, p0037 and p0038. I reset all the codes and everything was fine for 4 or 5 days. Yesterday, I was on my way home and I got a ding like when you put the car into reverse and my gauges all went down, my check engine light came on and the motor wouldn't accelerate. I looked around on the internet and have found several things that would cause this. Some said to open the back hatch with the key and it would reset the computer, some say it's the ignition switch is bad and I've seen on here that the ignition switch actuator pin can cause it. If the actuator pin is broken will that cause the car not to start? My switch seems to be ok it starts fine. It just goes crazy when you're driving down the road. Any suggestions as to what to look for? Thanks in advance.
Old 01 Oct 2013, 03:08 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Question Re: Gauges and warning lights going crazy

Have you checked your battery & cables to make sure they're not loose,especially the ground cable where it's grounded to the fender?
Old 01 Oct 2013, 04:03 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: Gauges and warning lights going crazy

Yeah, grounds are all good. Thanks for the suggestion.
Old 01 Oct 2013, 07:52 pm
Veteran Cruiser

What about the positive connection inside the PDC?
Old 01 Oct 2013, 08:06 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozman View Post
I got home and hooked up the scanner and got p0032, p0031, p0037 and p0038.
The weird thing is,those codes are for #1-O2 Sensor,and #2-O2 Sensor?.....The oxygen sensor is the what tells the engine whether it's feeding too much or too little fuel, it's pretty important....The oxygen sensor can be damaged by bad gas or excess pollution from another bad sensor or part;Bad oxygen sensors can cause high idling, rough idling, stalling, lack of power, and poor fuel economy,not to mention excessive pollution.;An O2 sensor actually generates voltage and when active,it varies between .5 and 1.0 V. which is rich/lean;If it's working ok if you see a wave between these numbers,if you see one steady reading the sensor is likely bad.....Don't forget the sensor must be hot to start working......It is best to only buy genuine Mopar/Chrysler electrical parts,especially with the oxygen sensor,many have had less than stellar results with Bosch,etc.

Last edited by randyincctx; 01 Oct 2013 at 08:20 pm.
Old 14 Oct 2013, 12:20 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Ok, here I am 2 weeks later and still the problem persists. I replace the ignition switch per one suggestion I found on line and that didn't help. It seems to come at random and when it does, all the warning lights come on and all the gauges except the fuel gauge all shut down. I've checked the grounds and they all look good. Is it possible that something could be causing a short and bring on this condition? I was sitting in a drive thru last night and the motor stumbled like it was going to die and all the lights lit up and gauges went down. I shut it off and restarted and all was well. Five minutes later I'm on my way home and it started again. It would flash all the lights and gauges go down and 10 seconds later everything would start working again. Finally about a block from the house it happened and the motor died. It started right back up and all was well but it's driving me crazy. I am on a fixed income and can't really afford to spend a lot of money chasing gremlins. Any suggestions? Thanks.
Old 14 Oct 2013, 12:42 pm
Senior Cruiser

Have you had the battery checked? A battery going bad can cause crazy stuff like this. Also, how old is the battery in the car. Mine in my 2009 checked just fine but on cold mornings it would barely turn the car over. Replaced it and the issue went away.
Old 17 Oct 2013, 07:30 am
Senior Cruiser

I will try to help.

I have had this issue on both my 06 Cruisers, they have the newer canbus electronics. I fixed those by changing the ignition module in the steering column. My symptons were like yours, car buck and guage cluster go dead and flash.

I also had this issue in my 05 GT, this has the PCI bus(?) like your 03. It did it once and reset the battery and drove it a couple more months before it acted up. When it did it the 2nd and 3rd time, the guages would go crazy and the car would stall but immediatly restart. So I threw a cam sensor in but that didnt fix it. So I bought a mopar ignition module like I did on the other two and that didnt fix it since it kept acting up.

I have a couple friends at the dealer who are techs. they looked at it, note no codes. So he set up a co-pilot device which plugs into the socket under the dash. They program the co-pilot to monitor different sensors. When the "event" occurs you press a button and it capture the data, 30 seconds before and 30 seconds after( it countinuosly rewrites) you press the button.
From that they can determine what the problem may be.

I drove for a week and it finally acted up, I pressed the button and then drifted over into a parking lot, car had no power and was barely running. Funny thing is, once I shut the car off, it immediatly started back up.

Bring the car in and drop it off. They look at it and can't find any data in the damn co-pilot. So they throw a crank sensor in and loan me a DRB III box.
The co-pilot is an old system and my freind wasnt sure if the software they use to download the data out of the co-pilot was acting up(note chrysler does not support this any more since it was 90's to 2000sh tech.

The DRBIII is self contained and captures everything and they can look at the data it captures right out of it. Anyhow it is similiear, plug it in, step through a couple sceens after you start the car. when it acts up you hit a save button and they can look at the event.

So I am on vacation, doing some local stuff driving around with the wife and dog with the top down. The thing finally acts up, I hit the damn button and then pull over. I look at the screen and says no communication, which is the worst thing to have.

Any of these modules (PCM, Cluster/MIC/BCM etc) can have intermittent problems and pull the communication bus down. So you dont know which one is the issue.

So I go back to the dealer and my pal says it is probably either the Cluster or PCM.

Since I had the issue way back with the cluster, we guessed cluster and 500$ or what ever it was later, we guessed wrong. So I then bought another Mopar PCM and that finally solved the problem.

I also had taken grounds at the fender wall, block, battery cables atc and cleaned them up good, I had swapped batteries etc and none of this helped.

My pal also checked the continuity on the harness to pcm and connectors. Sometimes the harnesses can be an issue

So I hate to say it but your only option is to shot gun parts at it, unless a dealer would be kind enough to co-pilot it or loan you a DRBIII box.

You really need to have the module totally fail which would kill the car for them to trace the problem since intermittent ones are tough for anyone to find.

Hope this helps.

89 Shadow ES 2.5 T2 +20's A555 sold
86 TurboZ CS 2.2 T2 +20's A555
90 Daytona ES 2.5 T1 A523
90 Datyona Shelby VNT needs work
00 Durango SLT+ 5.9 4x4
02 Grand Cherokee 4.7 4x4
03 PT GT Black 5 sp Stg 1
05 PT GT Silver 5 Spd Conv
06 PT GT Cool Vanilla 5 spd Conv
06 PT Base Marine Blue 40TE Conv
15 Grand Cherokee Overland 5.7 QD2

Last edited by VNT; 17 Oct 2013 at 07:36 am.
Old 18 Oct 2013, 01:59 am
Senior Cruiser

VNT; post # 8. Thank you for relating your experience to us. It shows how complex these systems are and it also shows that even with the correct tools, smart people, and good intentions many problems cannot be diagnosed. And a point is reached when only swapping parts can solve the problem. -------- However, wouldn't it be nice if Chrysler supplied their dealers with a plug in tester that a customer could have their computers or TIPM's tested on? Just dreaming!
Old 18 Oct 2013, 07:32 am
Senior Cruiser

The issue is with electronics, that some component could fail intermitantly or bad solder joint when it wamrs up, who knows.

What sucks is that on older generation of Mopars, one could grab a SBEC, SMEC or logic module out of a car with same engine and trans and just by default test with a differnent one. Now the PCMs have to have the correct VIn and be programmed so that is kind of out.

With the forums and with people who take the time to follow thru(many threads where people have an issue, resolve it but dont come back to post what the outcome and fix was) thru and post the results.

Most cars will have pattern failures, especially the electronics, so if someone can diagnose and rule out somethings and give some direction it helps others.

I grabbed a base 06 PCM a few weeks ago and worst case I have core for my 06 if the PCM ever craps out or if I want to try it if I get issues/gremlins.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pt06 View Post
VNT; post # 8. Thank you for relating your experience to us. It shows how complex these systems are and it also shows that even with the correct tools, smart people, and good intentions many problems cannot be diagnosed. And a point is reached when only swapping parts can solve the problem. -------- However, wouldn't it be nice if Chrysler supplied their dealers with a plug in tester that a customer could have their computers or TIPM's tested on? Just dreaming!

89 Shadow ES 2.5 T2 +20's A555 sold
86 TurboZ CS 2.2 T2 +20's A555
90 Daytona ES 2.5 T1 A523
90 Datyona Shelby VNT needs work
00 Durango SLT+ 5.9 4x4
02 Grand Cherokee 4.7 4x4
03 PT GT Black 5 sp Stg 1
05 PT GT Silver 5 Spd Conv
06 PT GT Cool Vanilla 5 spd Conv
06 PT Base Marine Blue 40TE Conv
15 Grand Cherokee Overland 5.7 QD2