Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
2004 PT Cruiser Turbo - No Power

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18 Oct 2013, 05:20 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default 2004 PT Cruiser Turbo - No Power

Hi everyone. New to the site, and thought I would run this problem past you folks to see if anyone might have any ideas what's going on. It stumped a very good, honest and experienced mechanic.

2004 PT Cruiser Turbo. 78k miles. The thing has no power when accelerating from a stop or when merging onto a freeway. Going up a hill it's just a dog. It's more than just the turbo not working; it lags on acceleration big time. once it gets up to speed, all seems well.

Mechanic suspected a clogged exhaust or catalytic converter. He went so far as to drop the whole exhaust and drive it to test the theory, and it didn't make a difference.

He also thought that it could be a timing belt, or a problem with compression.

There was quite a bit of blow-by in the air filter, so that was replaced. Also, the oil light comes on periodically at a stop, but goes right off as soon as you give it gas. From other posts on this forum, I see that the oil light coming on like this is most likely a faulty sensor. Not sure if it's related, but thought I would mention it.

Anyway, any ideas? Sound familiar?

Thanks!
Dave