PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Noise after timing belt repair

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19 Oct 2013, 11:59 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Noise after timing belt repair

I have a 2001 PT Cruiser with 115,000, original owner. The timing belt broke while driving under 30 in my neighborhood. My local Chrysler shop replaced belt, tensioner & water pump for $1400. I couldn't even afford to go over that amount if additional work was required. My wife brought it home and told me about a noise. I drove it and it's making a knock/clunking sound, almost like when u get a ball in the tire. I can tell it's coming from around the engine. It's noticeable after driving one block, and gets louder the longer I drive. There is no sound while idling, only when it's motion, the faster the louder. Sound also goes away when applying the brake, although I never had it before belt broke. I can't even afford additional work, had to borrow half of repair money to fix. Emissions a month away, I'm afraid I might have to let it go to. Anyone had similar problem after fixing belt?
Old 19 Oct 2013, 12:28 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Noise after timing belt repair

Check the lugs on the wheel to see if they are tight. If it only does it while in motion, had to be something that turns while driving. Something that is affected by the brakes. Feel anything from the pedal when you brake?.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 19 Oct 2013, 12:54 pm
Veteran Cruiser

I wouldn't take it to Chrysler again, you can pay a local guy to "F" it up for a lot less.

When you bring it back for what they broke, they just throw an estimate at you for everything to make you go away.
Old 19 Oct 2013, 05:27 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Lightbulb Re: Noise after timing belt repair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mannix01 View Post
My local Chrysler shop replaced belt, tensioner & water pump for $1400.
I think that makes it deserving of a 'Comeback'....Which is a term we used to describe a job,that may not have been done 100% correct,and needs to be fixed FOC as part of the service repair guarantee....IMHO
Busted_PT likes this.
Old 20 Oct 2013, 09:29 am
Regular Cruiser

It does sound a lot like loose lug nuts like Busted said.
Check your right front.
I always check everything after someone else does anything to one of my cars. More often than not I find mistakes. Loose bolts, things not tighten or just plain missing. I don't trust anyone when it comes to my cars or Harley. Seems like no one cares anymore if they do a good job or not and they get paid to care, they get paid to be trusted.
Old 20 Oct 2013, 09:42 am
Fresh Cruiser

Do get some pulsating from brake pedal/will take wheels off to see if any thing is loose. Shop quoted an additional $900 if valve job was required, but with my limited funds they just replaced the 3 items. Just wondering what they'll "find" when I take it back. Would damage from broken belt be noticeable during idle? No crazy revs either, just while driving. I'll work on wheels this morning and see if I can find something loose.
Old 20 Oct 2013, 12:39 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Do get some pulsating from brake pedal/will take wheels off to see if any thing is loose. Shop quoted an additional $900 if valve job was required, but with my limited funds they just replaced the 3 items. Just wondering what they'll "find" when I take it back. Would damage from broken belt be noticeable during idle? No crazy revs either, just while driving. I'll work on wheels this morning and see if I can find something loose.
No,I don't think that the belt has anything to do with it. Something loose or if sat for a while maybe breaks stuck to rotors and made a spot on them.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.

badglas.blogspot.com
Old 20 Oct 2013, 12:53 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Lightbulb Re: Noise after timing belt repair

Quote:
Do get some pulsating from brake pedal
That could be something as simple as not doing the proper sequence,or torque specs when the wheels were back on.....Sad to say;But,some lazy techs do it all the time.
Old 20 Oct 2013, 01:00 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by randyincctx View Post
That could be something as simple as not doing the proper sequence,or torque specs when the wheels were back on.....Sad to say;But,some lazy techs do it all the time.
I have done this.
randyincctx likes this.

This Is my project page.

badglas.blogspot.com
Old 20 Oct 2013, 01:05 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Exclamation Re: Noise after timing belt repair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busted_PT View Post
I have done this.
Me too!lol.....The only people/place I know for sure that does it correctly is 'Discount Tire',and I figure that may be because the had someone sue them;So now it's SOP for them!

Tags
timing belt