PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Cam Sensor Problem?? P0340

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19 Oct 2013, 02:46 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Cam Sensor Problem?? P0340

So, everything was fine until about 1 week ago when my wife said the car didnt start. She said 3 tries & it finally did. A couple days later the "check engine" light came on. I got the code P0340. After clearing the code 3 times it keeps coming back.

So I read almost every topic on here about the p0340 code (before registering myself) to try & figure this out. My concerns are this: The car runs fine (not rough) and starts 9 out of 10 times. I checked the wires all the way (even behind the engine) because I read in another thread that the clip could break & wires might be damaged. No problems w/wires. I also read that if the cam sensor was bad the car wouldnt start at all. Is this correct? I already located the MOPAR part & have no problem buying it. But will this solve my problem? What I guess I am asking is, can a bad cam sensor cause the car not to start once in a while?

Any questions or more information needed I would be happy to answer.

77,000 miles. 2003 touring/wagon.

Last edited by mcupkim; 19 Oct 2013 at 02:53 pm.
Old 19 Oct 2013, 02:51 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Cam Sensor Problem?? P0340

Along with the Camshaft sensor, also buy the Target Magnet that goes behind the sensor. Many owners have found that even thought there's no signs of ware the magnet can go bad. It's not that expensive and could save you troubles in the future. Replacing both sensor and magnet, since you've already checked the wiring (check the connection at the bottom of the sensor also), should clear the code and you should be good to go.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 19 Oct 2013, 03:32 pm
Fresh Cruiser

So is it safe to say that the "cam sensor" & "target magnet" would make the car not start once a day or so, without having any other symptoms/signs...except for the code P0340?!?
Old 19 Oct 2013, 03:34 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Also, I have already ordered the MOPAR sensor & it should be arriving Wednesday, should I try just the sensor 1st? Or replace both the sensor & TM at the same time?? Thanks again very much for your input!!
Old 19 Oct 2013, 03:55 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Yes, go ahead and replace the sensor and in your own time, pick up a Traget magnet and throw it in. Best to replace both and yes if the snsor is starting to go bad it can cause intermittent problems.
mcupkim likes this.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 19 Oct 2013, 04:06 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I always ask....how are you clearing the codes?

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 19 Oct 2013, 04:17 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I have changed a couple last year and it ended up to be the connector. Now I have spares.
IMO many that replaced the "cam sensor" &/or "target magnet" by the act of doing so inadvertently clean the contact area in side the connector.

Airtex 1P1080 Connector/Pigtail

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 19 Oct 2013, 04:19 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

These can cause the Intermittent problem. Rarely just die completely. If you do continue to have the problem change the target magnet.
mcupkim likes this.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 19 Oct 2013, 04:42 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroPT View Post
I always ask....how are you clearing the codes?
Im clearing the codes myself with my code reader/eraser. Also, they cleared once as well when I took out the sensor & checked for loose/bad wiring.
Old 19 Oct 2013, 04:44 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
Yes, go ahead and replace the sensor and in your own time, pick up a Traget magnet and throw it in. Best to replace both and yes if the snsor is starting to go bad it can cause intermittent problems.
Thank you. That is what i shall try. I wasnt too sure if that could cause whats happening. I also found the magnet for $14.99 at Chrysler parts website. (link below)

Your Shopping Cart | 0 items