PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Do I need special Antifreeze 2003 PT

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19 Oct 2013, 06:34 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Do I need special Antifreeze 2003 PT

It says it has to be chrysler antifreeze , are they kidding and is there a reason
Old 19 Oct 2013, 06:37 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: Do I need special Antifreeze 2003 PT

Why HOAT? The PT radiator coolant thread...
'03 GT Blue/ autostick.. 160,000KM ( That's 100,000miles for y'all South of the border ) All the options, the heated leather is a must up here in Canada, Love the solid heavy duty feel and obvious Torque.. The Turbo is strong, fast and reliable.. People that don't understand the love of a PT, probably don't deserve to.
Old 19 Oct 2013, 06:59 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlefaive View Post
If I read this corectly , it doesn't matter what is in it now ,Hoit will be compatible. This has only 33000 miles on it so I asume since I haven't uowned it all the time that it still must be Chrysler recomended antifreeze in it now.
Old 19 Oct 2013, 07:06 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbander View Post
It says it has to be Chrysler antifreeze , are they kidding and is there a reason
The problem is overseas they don't even carry it anymore at the Chrysler dealers. Everything is going universal. So whatever you use stay with that and try not to mix with others. I used Store brand Walmart with distilled water in my project pt. Link is in my signature. Should be changed every 3 to 5 years. You do that and you will be good no matter what you choose.

Oh by the way, they said in my owners manual not to use synthetic oil in the turbo pt. Just mopar oil. But now they have received there marketing fee and no longer make that statement.
randyincctx likes this.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 20 Oct 2013, 09:14 am
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busted_PT View Post
The problem is overseas they don't even carry it anymore at the Chrysler dealers. Everything is going universal. So whatever you use stay with that and try not to mix with others. I used Store brand Walmart with distilled water in my project pt. Link is in my signature. Should be changed every 3 to 5 years. You do that and you will be good no matter what you choose.

Oh by the way, they said in my owners manual not to use synthetic oil in the turbo pt. Just mopar oil. But now they have received there marketing fee and no longer make that statement.
I own a Harley and they said the same thing for years "Use Harley oil only" "Use Harley Trans Fluid only" "Use Harley Primary oil only" Now they have a 3 in one, you use the same for everything, engine, trans and primary. I had switched to synthetic oil long ago. I now just buy the 3 in 1 synthetic Mobil 1
Busted_PT likes this.
Old 20 Oct 2013, 11:47 am
Fresh Cruiser

This is what I've found in the UK:
Xstream® G05® Antifreeze & Coolant Concentrate : Manufacturer Approved Antifreeze & Coolants : Products Guide : Comma Oil & Chemicals Ltd.

Is it ok?
Old 20 Oct 2013, 12:05 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Thumbs up Re: Do I need special Antifreeze 2003 PT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busted_PT View Post
So whatever you use stay with that and try not to mix with others. I used Store brand Walmart with distilled water in my project pt. Link is in my signature. Should be changed every 3 to 5 years. You do that and you will be good no matter what you choose.
That's definately the best advice,and like Busted says no matter whether you use HOAT,or Ethylene Glycol,you should always use 'distilled water'....
It's safe to say you should NEVER use tap/garden hose water in your cooling system unless it's an emergency/temporary situation,and afterwards,be sure to flush the system,and replenish with the proper mix again;
No matter where you live(some places worse than others)there is always some sediments,or akalia content,and here in USA there's even 'Fluoride' added.(not that that would hurt,it'd just make your PT have whiter teeth!)
greeley likes this.
Old 20 Oct 2013, 12:15 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbander View Post
If I read this corectly , it doesn't matter what is in it now ,Hoit will be compatible. This has only 33000 miles on it so I asume since I haven't uowned it all the time that it still must be Chrysler recomended antifreeze in it now.
If it's compatible with all! Then All is compatible with it. Then the (Why hoat) thread is let's say, not in agreement with that. I have heard that statement before. And if is true. That means there are some serious inconsistency's with threads information. Now that said. You are way over due to replace that stuff. That's the real culprit along with the low end additives for leaks.
greeley likes this.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 20 Oct 2013, 05:51 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Just don't use Dexcool (OAT) in the PT.
Old 21 Oct 2013, 09:39 am
Fresh Cruiser

That looks similar to this: Valvoline.com > Products > Zerex > Antifreeze Zerex > Zerex G-05 Antifreeze / Coolant

^ I use that plus *distilled* Arrowhead mountain spring water. (My car doesn't need whiter teeth (lol) but he does like pure water. Clean living = good long life. )

Tags
antifreeze, coolent, special