PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Passenger Side Low Beam not functional

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22 Oct 2013, 05:35 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Passenger Side Low Beam not functional

The passenger side low beam head lamp gave up the ghost. All other lights in the cluster work fine.

My dulcet darling changed the bulb this morning. The replacement doesn't come on, either. Interesting procedure for changing the bulb, as my dulcet darling discovered that one must remove a panel from the inner fender to access the bulb socket.....

But the new bulb didn't fix the problem. My dulcet darling didn't save the old one, so I have no idea what it looked like. Since the replacement bulb didn't cure the issue, I'm guessing there might not have been anything wrong with the original bulb and the problem lies elsewhere.

The question is where?

If anybody else has had this issue, I'd appreciate knowing what the ultimate resolution was.

Cam belt, tensioner, cam seals, water pump, cam cover gasket, pcv valve, engine support brackets, spark plug wires, oil and filters..10/17/13-10/18/13
Tires 9/27/13
Cooling Fan 6/15/13
Alignment 5/28/13
Driver's side wheel bearing R&R 5/27/13
Replaced Spark Plugs 5/27/13
Third Brake Light replaced 5/26/13
Clock Spring in steering column R&R 2/15/13

Next up: New Integrated Power Control Module...

THEN new struts and shocks, inner and outer tie rods, suspension bushings, Watts link....

Old 24 Oct 2013, 02:27 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: UPDATE: Passenger Side Low Beam not functional

I just picked up my Cruiser from the local Chrysler dealer here in my hometown.

According to them, the reason why my passenger side low beam headlight isn't functional is because my Integrated Power Module needs to be replaced. Service Manager quote: "There is no workaround for this, unfortunately"...

The good news: They have ONE of these IPM's in stock in the Dallas, TX Warehouse. Quoted price for the part: $860.00. Kind of expensive cure for a dysfunctional headlight, lol....

The bad news: I just had the timing belt / seals / water pump treatment done by them, and my "Keep the Cruiser Crusin'" budget is wearing a might bit thin, so I can't get it fixed this week. .

I kind of suspected this IPM would be the culprit.

Cam belt, tensioner, cam seals, water pump, cam cover gasket, pcv valve, engine support brackets, spark plug wires, oil and filters..10/17/13-10/18/13
Tires 9/27/13
Cooling Fan 6/15/13
Alignment 5/28/13

THEN new struts and shocks, inner and outer tie rods, suspension bushings, Watts link....

Old 24 Oct 2013, 04:02 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Passenger Side Low Beam not functional

You might consider getting a headlight harness kit like is used for HID headlights. These have there own relay and are usually triggers by just one of the original headlight plugs. You could then use the one working headlight plug to turn on both headlight.

You can usually buy these online for under $20. Some splicing might be required to plug them into your standard headlight bulbs. Or you can just get an HID kid Then everything should be plug and play.
Old 24 Oct 2013, 06:15 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for the suggestions, Handy Cruiser!

I appreciate the input, but I think I'll just save my Simoleans for a week or two and have the offending Integrated Power Module replaced.

Tires 9/27/13
Cooling Fan 6/15/13
Alignment 5/28/13

Old 25 Oct 2013, 12:26 am
Veteran Cruiser

Default UPDATE: CAN BUS officially criminal racket

OK, this is essentially criminal.
On my 2004 cool vanilla base 5-sp, if the right low beam is out, fuse #19 is likely bad and fuse # 20, if the left was out.

How much is a fuse?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeleCaster View Post
I just picked up my Cruiser from the local Chrysler dealer here in my hometown.

According to them, the reason why my passenger side low beam headlight isn't functional is because my Integrated Power Module needs to be replaced. ... Quoted price for the part: $860.00. ...
Old 25 Oct 2013, 04:11 am
Cool Cruiser

Default Re: UPDATE: CAN BUS officially criminal racket

If IPM was bad, wouldn't both headlights be out? As stated above check fuses on the knee bolster. I have an 05 pt gt turbo and mine also has seperate fuses for the headlights, one for each lowbeam. However I DO have HID and had never any problems out of my kit. I am NOT running a relay kit AT RHIS TIME, but do plan on it later.
Old 25 Oct 2013, 05:03 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanatanadharma View Post
OK, this is essentially criminal.
On my 2004 cool vanilla base 5-sp, if the right low beam is out, fuse #19 is likely bad and fuse # 20, if the left was out.

How much is a fuse?
Why is it criminal?

A fuse is clearly cheaper than a Totally Integrated Power Module, granted. But there's no reason why the basic technology involved with the TIPM can't be made to work reliably. To me, the "criminality" isn't with the design, but with the execution. According to the Service Manager at my local dealership, the genuine Mopar replacement isn't the same exact thing used in Toluca, Mexico in 2006 when my Cruiser was made. It's supposedly been improved for a longer service life over what was used on the assembly line. I'm not sure I believe that, but it makes sense because dealer service departments don't want to have to service the same problem for free under warranty.

Speaking of criminal.... "Criminal" was me not volunteering that bulb replacement had already been tried when I took the car to the dealership here in town yesterday morning. When they tried it and got the same result, they did a little troubleshooting and confirmed what I suspected to be the case from the beginning -that my light problem was symptomatic of TIPM failure. I ain't the only guy on the Internet to post about this symptom and when others have, replacing the TIPM has been the cure. There are basically two causes of failure in the Totally Integrated Power Module: 1) corrosion, and; 2) voltage spikes. The Service Manager at the dealership said that my issue was symptomatic of a voltage spike being the cause of failure. Dorman Products, who is rebuilding these things now, seems to agree with him. They have a brief video where one of their employees talks about why these things fail and what the symptoms are. They must be confident that they can rebuild them better than new, based on the warranty they offer. Or perhaps they expect buyers of their products to eventually ditch their Cruisers and move on, thus incurring the "limited" of the limited lifetime warranty they offer on their rebuilt TIPMs.

I got my gut-feeling diagnosis confirmed for the price of a light bulb. Since they didn't actually fix anything, the dealership didn't charge me for the troubleshooting they did.

Whether I send mine off to Dorman for overhaul and install it myself, buy a genuine Mopar new replacement and install it, or have the local dealer procure the part and install it while I'm out fly fishing, shooting a round of sporting clays, or playing golf, I suspect that replacing the TIPM will have me good for another 99,000 miles. .

It sucks, because there's other things I'd rather spend my time and money on than a TIPM problem, but I'm thankful my car had the symptoms it did and not some of the other more serious ones I've read about on the Internet that it COULD have had.

Tires 9/27/13
Cooling Fan 6/15/13
Alignment 5/28/13

Last edited by TeleCaster; 25 Oct 2013 at 06:11 am.
Old 25 Oct 2013, 06:27 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by pappasmurf View Post
If IPM was bad, wouldn't both headlights be out?
Nope. If I understood the description of the TIPM internal circuit, the lights are isolated from each other. Whether that was on purpose or "by guess and by golly," I'd rather have one failed low beam pointing to a TIPM problem and still have one that works than none at all.

Quote:
As stated above check fuses on the knee bolster. I have an 05 pt gt turbo and mine also has seperate fuses for the headlights, one for each lowbeam.
I appreciate the input, but I can't check what ain't there, and I'm pretty sure fuses on the knee bolster ain't there on my 2006. What I might do if I get bored is have a little fun with my multimeter... If I do that, I wouldn't be too surprised to get something like 11.2-11.4 volts at the offending light socket under a no-load condition that plummets immediately to zero as soon as a load or draw is put on. I mention that in case someone with a multimeter sees voltage under a no-load condition and stops there thinking everything must be okay.

Tires 9/27/13
Cooling Fan 6/15/13
Alignment 5/28/13

Old 25 Oct 2013, 07:27 am
Senior Cruiser

You have to keep in mind his PT is a 2006 which uses the Canbus system. There are only a few fuse's in the box. There is no interior fuse box. Nothing for the headlights. And the tail lights are the same way. Each on their own circuit. Everything is controlled through the TIPM. It monitors the entire electrical system and if it detects an issue it shuts the circuit down till it is fixed. Problem is they can fail to turn the circuit back on.

Sometimes they can be flashed which corrects the issue or sometimes just resetting them by unhooking the battery can reset them. If that doesn't work they have to be replaced. They were pretty troublesome on the 2006 and some 2007's. Seems like they worked the bugs out of them in later years.
Old 25 Oct 2013, 01:53 pm
Cool Cruiser

Okie-k-b! I was more asking when I posted my question. I have NO clue about the canbus system other than most people hate it.