PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
driving lamps base PT

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23 Oct 2013, 07:10 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default driving lamps base PT

So I have a 2003 base PT, I went to the local pull a part and scored a nice set of driving lights and some other goodies, overhead console, 12v outlets. Anyways I got everything installed and I did my homework and read that all I needed was a flash. Well the tech hooked up the his scanner and it wouldn't or he couldn't find any thing that would turn on the lights. So I am a bit confused , do I need a new ecm/ecu or can I grab the ecm/ecu from the car gt the fog lights from. My car is a manual the car I got it from was auto. Or just hard wire the lights and be done with it. I also got the multi switch. He told me that maybe since driving lights were not an option on the base model that may be the reason it won't work. Any input would be helpful. Thanks, I have been reading tons of stuff about this but haven't ran across this yet.

Last edited by ELVIS; 23 Oct 2013 at 07:12 pm.
Old 25 Oct 2013, 02:13 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Question Re: driving lamps base PT

Was he using the proper DRB III scantool?.......Did you change your MFS to one w/fog lights?.....Did you also remember to install the proper fuse in the PDC for the fog lights?
Old 25 Oct 2013, 03:05 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: driving lamps base PT

Time to lay to rest this confusion about the first generation fog lights.

2001 through 2005 PT Cruiser OEM fog light circuits do not include the PCM; "flashing" is not needed.

The salvaged MFS may be faulty.

Perhaps your car's wiring harness doesn't have the required wire circuits. However you should be good to go (barring broken wiring), if prior to your installation work, the car's wiring harness already included the necessary two wires at the MFS connector, the two connectors at the L&R front light locations, the fuse #8 wiring at fuse box (see randyincctx post). The headlight relay at the bottom left of the fuse block is also needed. Look for a tan/black wire at relay pin A4.

I stand by this information based upon thorough understanding of the Chrysler shop manual electrical schematics. You may need to test all circuits from the battery to the grounds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELVIS View Post
So I have a 2003 base PT, I went to the local pull a part and scored a nice set of driving lights and some other goodies, overhead console, 12v outlets. Anyways I got everything installed and I did my homework and read that all I needed was a flash. Well the tech hooked up the his scanner and it wouldn't or he couldn't find any thing that would turn on the lights. So I am a bit confused , do I need a new ecm/ecu or can I grab the ecm/ecu from the car gt the fog lights from. My car is a manual the car I got it from was auto. Or just hard wire the lights and be done with it. I also got the multi switch. He told me that maybe since driving lights were not an option on the base model that may be the reason it won't work. Any input would be helpful. Thanks, I have been reading tons of stuff about this but haven't ran across this yet.
ELVIS likes this.

Last edited by sanatanadharma; 25 Oct 2013 at 03:06 pm. Reason: spelling, because it matters
Old 26 Oct 2013, 05:46 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for the reply sanatanadharma . I will check into it tomorrow , I was thinking the same thing that the MFS is bad, I know there is a fuse in the #8 fuse slot, I pulled it and looked at it to make sure it was not blown. The car had the wiring ran to the Fog Lamps so I am hoping it is just the switch. I will look for the Headlight relay also. When you say " Look for a tan/black wire at relay pin A4." are you talking about a wire ran to the fuse panel? Not sure what you meant there? Also I will look at the thread that show how to repair the MFS. Tons of useful info on this forum. Again,thank you.
Old 26 Oct 2013, 05:50 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Lightbulb Re: driving lamps base PT

Be sure to check this thread,and the ones listed on it......Might just find the problem,and find an easy fix.
The "Handy" Aluminum Can Mod To Fix Fog Lights.
Old 27 Oct 2013, 12:46 am
Veteran Cruiser

If the MFS is not the problem, and the front foglights wiring harness is there, the car could still have been assembled with a dash harness lacking the fog light circuity.
Confirmation can come by removing the two screws holding the fuse block in place and pulling the FB out to look at the wiring on the backside.
There one should find the Tan/black wire run to the relay location of the fuse block.
Have you confirmed the existence at the MFS connector, of the pink/light green and the light blue wires (pins #13 &14).

Quote:
Thanks for the reply sanatanadharma . ... I know there is a fuse in the #8 fuse slot, .... I will look for the Headlight relay also. When you say " Look for a tan/black wire at relay pin A4." are you talking about a wire ran to the fuse panel? ....
The headlight relay switches the foglights off when high-beams go on. Its socket is at the left. At the right side socket (meant for heated seats relay), I added the (lacking in my car) electrical spades and (backside) wiring needed to use the relay location as an ignition-on-run switch controlling the oem fogs when I converted them to driving lights.

Old 02 Nov 2013, 01:49 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Ok, I have done the MFS repair , it was worn out like all the others are. Reinstalled the MFS, still not working. I some pics , they look like they are the same as yours. What I have not done is confirmed the fuse box wiring. Also I want to clean the connections at the lamps and run a test on the wires.

http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u...psf0883fa7.jpg

http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u...ps16b3843c.jpg
Old 03 Nov 2013, 02:45 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Lightbulb Re: driving lamps base PT

Quote:
What I have not done is confirmed the fuse box wiring. Also I want to clean the connections at the lamps and run a test on the wires.
Yeah,confirm fuse box wiring(should have it!),then make sure you have fog light relay,and all connections are clean & getting current.......Also;are you using new bulbs???....It'd suck to go thru all of this,and find out it was the bulbs!
Old 03 Nov 2013, 06:09 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I pulled the fuse box and looked on the back I don't see any tan /black wire. Can someone take a pick and show me what I am looking for? looked at the bulbs they appear to be ok. Did not look burnt or bad.
Old 03 Nov 2013, 07:32 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Post Re: driving lamps base PT

It should be behind the relay socket (w/5 spades) by his right thumb in this photo,not sure if that's the wire below.....BTW,that's where the relay needs to be installed for the fog/driving lights to work.