PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
I want to buy a PT CRUISER

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27 Oct 2013, 04:47 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Question I want to buy a PT CRUISER

I have been looking around on Craigslist a lot at used PT Cruisers. I am not very knowledgeable about cars. I have read some about PT Cruisers and hear mentions of the timing belt and water pump. Should I make sure these have been replaced before purchasing? What other advice could you give me? I am thinking of purchasing a 2004. Thank you!
Old 27 Oct 2013, 06:01 pm
Young Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to BillsCruiser
Default Re: I want to buy a PT CRUISER

Location?
I'm selling my 121K mile '05 Touring auto for $3800.
New Goodyear tires on chrome OEM wheels, new struts, recent timing belt & waterpump.
Runs great...NO CEL codes. Needs nothing...

Waterpump and timing belt recommended be replaced @ 100K miles.
Old 27 Oct 2013, 06:03 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

T belt and water pump is key on any motor with an OHC if it has rubber belt ( by and large they all do). If you don't know when it's been done then it's on you!
Out here the dealer wants 1800 for a T Belt job that's kinda on the high side but about 900 to 1200 is the norm.

How many miles on the one your looking at? And you can find a shop that could do a pre purchase inspect. Any honest seller should not have an issue with that.
Old 27 Oct 2013, 06:03 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Welcome.
Timing belt and water pump costs about $1,000, so figure that in if you make an offer on a PT where they can't prove the timing belt and water pump were changed.
Ask around for a reliable mechanic, and ask how much they'd charge to test drive a PT and look it over before you buy.
If whoever you're buying from doesn't agree to let a mechanic look it over, then you don't want it.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 28 Oct 2013, 12:42 am
Obsessed Cruiser

It kind'a hard to use any old car as an everyday driver unless you can do much of the upkeep yourself.

Even a PT with none of these issue when you buy it will likely eventually develop some of them. Most of the common problems mentioned in the threads here could have not been prevented with care and proper maintenance. They are mostly flaws in design and/or original materials.

So the best bet is always going to be a later model car with fewer miles on it. And if not, all the parts and supplies needed to replace the timing belt and water pump can be had for under a hundred dollars as long as you can do the work yourself. Luckily, there's enough information on this forum to fix just anything that could go wrong with a PT.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 28 Oct 2013 at 08:59 am.
Old 28 Oct 2013, 09:43 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by claraellen View Post
I am not very knowledgeable about cars. Thank you!
That kinda says that doing your own work is not an option for her. And a PT cruiser T Belt job would not be a good candidate for a newbie to learn on!

Bill's cruiser looks like it would be a very good candidate! Sounds alot like our 2001 Limited.

How many miles on the 04?

And again "any" car with a rubber timing belt needs records of when it was changed! Otherwise you'll find your self on the side of the road saying..." I could have had a V8!" (HA HA been sitting on that one for a while!)
Old 28 Oct 2013, 11:12 am
Fresh Cruiser

Thank you all for your replies! I have not decided on a particular 04. It just is a matter of buying the latest model I can afford at this time. Of course I would hope for one that had the least amount of miles but should I steer away from one with too many? I do see some ads mentioning proof of having the timing belt and water pump having recently been changed. So, I think I will definitely stick with one of those seeing as how I would have no idea how to do something like that myself. That, or figure knowing I will need to have those things changed into the cost before purchasing. I will definitely also take the advice of finding a mechanic and having it looked over. How much does a mechanic typically charge for something like that? I do drive an old Honda Accord now. It's a leaking machine at this point. I used to help my dad work on the car when he was still alive but it was more like him saying "can you pass me the wrench?" I should have paid more attention then. I am hoping to find a car that gets me around locally without too many issues.

BillsCruiser.. I am moving to New York so will most likely buy it there but thank you!
Old 28 Oct 2013, 01:45 pm
Young Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to BillsCruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by claraellen View Post
BillsCruiser.. I am moving to New York so will most likely buy it there but thank you!
Where in NY...I can deliver.
Grew up in western NY...still have family there.
Old 28 Oct 2013, 01:55 pm
Senior Cruiser

General advice would be, assuming private sale

1) ask maintenance logbook, anyone who cares keeps a log book or receipts.

2) buy lowest miles and best condition

3) Important to me, look at oil fill on valve cover, yank the cap, if varnished or sludgey looking, move on.

4) if condition looks good, has maintenance log, etc bring to a mechanic to check it out.

I would look for a GT 5spd Convertible. These will be the most difficult to sell, have lowest resale, and lowest miles. I look on Craigslist, cars.com etc

People in my neck of the woods who bought these generally took care of them, cant sell because no one knows how to drive a 5 spd and convertibles rule out others who need a car with trunk. Since they were conv ,many folks never drove them in the winter and or they didnt sell for two or three years on dealer lots. If you do a search you will find this to be true, just look at some with car faxes.

86 TurboZ CS 2.2 T2 +20's A555
00 Durango SLT+ 5.9 4x4
02 Grand Cherokee 4.7 4x4
03 PT GT Black 5 sp Stg 1 sold
05 PT GT Silver 5 Spd Conv
06 PT GT Cool Vanilla 5 spd Conv
06 PT Base Marine Blue 40TE Conv
15 Grand Cherokee Overland 5.7 QD2
17 Challenger SRT A8 GoMango
18 JL Wrangler Sahara Punkn
20 JL Wrangler Rubicon Ocean Blue
Old 28 Oct 2013, 02:41 pm