Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
2002 PT Sometimes won't start

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28 Oct 2013, 09:02 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default 2002 PT Sometimes won't start

I have a 2002 PT limited 5spd. 60K miles. I recently replaced the starter (rebuild) after that a new battery about two months ago. Its been starting and running great. Sat. afternoon drove to the mall, parked for coupe of hours came out would not crank, I had lights, gauges,windows up down. Only a click when turning the key. Tried to start about 20-30 times but only a light click, relay or starter not sure. This is the same thing it was doing before the Starter and the battery was replaced. This is the first time since the battery was replaced. No lights were left on, was able to push/jump start it. After getting home it started fine and next morning also all was good. Any advise would be great ! Thanks
Old 28 Oct 2013, 10:30 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: 2002 PT Sometimes won't start

One thing I forgot to mention was the Electric door locks had been doing some strange things in the few months but not lately ? I would hear the locks trying to lock when coming to a stop . I had seen others talking about a RKE module, I just thought I would add that. Plus many other electrical issues over the years, car alarm,fog lights switch bad.
Old 28 Oct 2013, 11:19 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: 2002 PT Sometimes won't start

To me it sounds like a drain on the battery. A short or something like the doors continuously trying to lock would to this.

But first, check all you connections. Sometimes the positive battery lead to the starter with get burnt and build up resistance when hot. This is easy to check so do that first. Make sure the ends are clean and tight. Make sure the cable is not brittle or burnt.

Finding the short or power drainage will take longer. Someone more familiar with the idiosyncrasies of the PT electrical system will need to chime in with the likely culprits.

Also, check to assure the alternator is not getting weak. Again it may be working at reduce voltage or amperage when hot but not enough to make the trouble light come on.