PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Major Oil Leak in 2001 PT Cruiser

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29 Oct 2013, 06:09 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Major Oil Leak in 2001 PT Cruiser

Hi all,

Everyone on this forum has always helped me with every single issue I've ever had with this car. Now I have a major oil leak in the front middle of the car. It's making a ticking noise, which I heard was the lifters from not having enough oil. Does anyone have a simple guess where the oil might be coming from? It has 118,000 miles.

Thank you in advance!
Joanie
Old 29 Oct 2013, 07:06 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Major Oil Leak in 2001 PT Cruiser

Open the hood and look where you put oil in, then look nect to it where spark plug wires go in - do you see oil pooled there? If so, you need a valve cover gasket (and plug socket gaskets) - not a very expensive problem.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 29 Oct 2013, 07:09 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksilverdon View Post
Open the hood and look where you put oil in, then look nect to it where spark plug wires go in - do you see oil pooled there? If so, you need a valve cover gasket (and plug socket gaskets) - not a very expensive problem.
No, after opening the hood, checking the oil, and listening to that ticking sound, I saw no oil except on the ground.
Old 29 Oct 2013, 07:28 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Possibly the oil sending unit.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 29 Oct 2013, 07:34 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busted_PT View Post
Possibly the oil sending unit.
Is that costly?
Old 29 Oct 2013, 07:43 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Part is cheap can be done from the top or bottom on yours. Shouldn't be a big deal. Some will scream Mopar part only but these are pron to be a problem. So I would get it where you get the best price.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.

badglas.blogspot.com
Old 29 Oct 2013, 07:51 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thank you so much for all of your time and help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busted_PT View Post
Part is cheap can be done from the top or bottom on yours. Shouldn't be a big deal. Some will scream Mopar part only but these are pron to be a problem. So I would get it where you get the best price.
Old 29 Oct 2013, 08:07 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Hope we helped.

This Is my project page.

badglas.blogspot.com
Old 01 Nov 2013, 12:23 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Me again I took it to two different mechanics and they had it up on the rack. They both said the engine is so saturated that they can't pinpoint the leak. Not only that, but there's power steering and transmission fluid leaks. So does this mean I should take the money and buy another car?

The one mechanic said he thinks the rack and pinion is bad as well.
Old 01 Nov 2013, 02:54 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

If you haven't replaced the timing belt and water pump, you need to have that done as well - that alone runs around $1,000.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles