Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Constant buzzing sound from engine.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 31 Oct 2013, 02:49 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Constant buzzing sound from engine.

So I scanned the forum doing all sorts of searches and nothing quite matches the issue.

So I was driving the car and suddenly I get this loud, constant kind of buzz sound coming from the engine. And now my keyfob wont work lol.

Someone said it could be the immobiliser, I don't know. The car battery did totally die the other day, radiator leak, engine overheated, so had to be rescued. yay me. Radiator leak is fixed, but having been stranded for so so long, in what was a cold night,(Pray it never happens again) with the hazards on, the battery did seem to die, so i got a charge from the rescuer. Car starts all fine now etc, but today, the drive, was at the lights and this buzzing constant sound it was too just starts. Even does it when engine is on and car is parked. The sound does lower when i put foot on gas, then it goes back to higher constant sound when at the lights.

My head is pounding with the noise. im back home now.

Any ideas what it could be?

PS I opened the fob lol, 2 batteries inside, I now can't close the bloody thing.

Help me on all fronts people, please.

Old 01 Nov 2013, 05:17 am
Cool Cruiser

Default Re: Constant buzzing sound from engine.

Can't work out what it is, but now in idle the revs are on off on off etc. The buzzing sound can't even work out. Kinda annoying there are no chrysler dealerships even close too.

The guy I took to this morning said he don't often come across the cars. Just left us stumped.

Old 01 Nov 2013, 05:59 am
Cool Cruiser

I got a bad feeling about the car now. Coolant is just vanishing lol. Yes I know its got to go somewhere, but there is no sign of leakage, the temp gauge is normal, but i hear a gurgling sound now when i switch the engine off. I see some white residue around the cap too. You think this is linked to the buzzing sound which is killing me?

Old 01 Nov 2013, 07:07 am
Obsessed Cruiser

I see that nobody has come up with any suggestions. Never really heard of a buzzing sound problem but isn't there someway to pin the noise down? Somethings obviously come loose and making that sound. Was it there before you were rescued when the battery died? Maybe whoever jumped the battery for you loosened something and didn't put it back together correctly.

The coolant, if it's slowly leaking from around the radiator cap/thermostat area will burn off when it gets below that area if it's a very small leak and any leak of coolant is replaced by air in the system which will cause you to overheat (gurgling/bubbling) sound. Under the radiator cap is a plastic piece between it and the thermostat and it's known to crack and cause a leak. I have a small one there myself.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 01 Nov 2013, 09:09 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Buzzing is only when engine is running?
Open bonnet and try to locate where noise emanates from.
How was radiator leak fixed? Go back to them.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 01 Nov 2013, 01:17 pm
Cool Cruiser

The sound is coming from main engine block but its a constant sound. Loud when stuck at the lights but goes when foot is on gas. I just recorded it and will upload somehow.

Old 01 Nov 2013, 04:59 pm
Cool Cruiser

ok, I uploaded an audio recording. sorry if its poor but it was done on phone. So sound comes from main box part in engine. But its so loud you can hear it inside and out. Its really loud when car stops and is on idle, but when i press the gas, it sort of gets quieter.

Vocaroo | Voice message

Old 01 Nov 2013, 11:36 pm
Senior Cruiser

claw; buzzing sound might be coming from the radiator cap, pcv valve, alternator bearings/brushes, vacuum leak, power steering pump, etc. A piece of hose [say 1/2" diameter x 4 feet long] held halfway in your fist with your fist held to your ear should help locate the noise. Or, a stethoscope.

Be careful around moving parts [alternator belt etc]. good luck
Old 02 Nov 2013, 04:43 am
Cool Cruiser

Thank you for the replies. The mechanic is mentioning how soon it may not even be cost effective to sort whatever it is out. He said most things have been checked now and there appears no faults. No codes appear on system either.

Today though along with that buzzing/humming sound the heating wouldnt work in car. Also a high hissing sound from front with some steam too when i stopped the car and switched off, though inside it shows the temperature of engine as normal, no overheating going on.

I'm baffled.

Having read around the foru now, Im thinking its all still linked to the radiator. So although its good news the engine temp is normal, maybe there is air in the system or some fan is gone? Or the thermostat is left open I read on some replies to other issues. I mean the coolant is still draining fast.

How do i check if thermostat is left open? I saw crewzin give a fab picture in a reply to another thread of where it is, but i dunno how to check and see, not sure what im looking at. I see a cap lol that can be turned. I like to know these things myself too so I can get to know the car much better.

Last edited by whiteclaw; 02 Nov 2013 at 05:19 am.
Old 02 Nov 2013, 09:21 am
Obsessed Cruiser

There is no way to inspect thermostat short of taking it out - if car overheats, it's stuck closed, if car never heats up, it's stuck open.
I listened to your audio - sounds more like a belt whine to me than a buzzing...

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles