Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Buying a PTC

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03 Nov 2013, 09:34 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Buying a PTC

Hi, I am new to this site, and I need some help. I am looking to buy a yellow 2006 PT with 92k miles. The price is right but I don't know what kind of service was done to it. (the car is on a used car lot) I know that the timing belt should have been done or it is due now. Would it last another 10k if it was not done yet? What else should I look out for? Thanks
Old 03 Nov 2013, 10:11 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Buying a PTC

Welcome to the forum.

We try and recommend that the timing belt and water pump be changed at 100,000. A few thousand either way shouldn't make a difference. A couple other things to look for are the fog lights (if the PT has them) make sure they work. A green light comes on in the dash to show they are on. But one of the most important things is the cooling and A/C system. If you can, turn the engine on, turn the A/C to high and let it idle for about 15 to 20 minutes. Keep an eye on the gauge for the water temp and it shouldn't go higher than half way no matter how long the car idles. Make sure you have cold air out of the vents also.

If your looking for good gas mileage, the PT (with the exception of a few) get poor mileage. Some less than 20 mpg in the city and low 20's on the highway. Make sure you take it for a run and see how the tranny shifts and see if it idles smoothly. Don't let the salesman tell you something like "all PT's do that" if you find anything out of the ordinary. The PT's idle, run, stop and do everything else normally if the maintenance has been kept up and everything is normal.

Your so close to the timing belt needing changing that you might try and have them do it for a sale. The whole job with parts and labor runs around $1,000.00 so they might do it for 1/2 or less if they can sell the car.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.

Last edited by CREWZIN; 03 Nov 2013 at 10:15 am.
Old 03 Nov 2013, 10:49 am
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for your fast reply. I am not so concerned about gas mileage, I will drive it about 5k a year, maybe a bit more. Just sold a 70's Caddy, that thing got 8-9 mpg around town lol.

That's why I am concerned about the belt. Don't really want to put another 1k into it. I really like the car though. Looks like it was taken care of.

It is sitting on the lot for over a month now, it had some exhaust leak they just fixed, so they might be willing to change that belt for me.

Thank you for the ideas!
Old 06 Nov 2013, 03:18 am
Senior Cruiser

Yen; another thing to look for is bad lower control arm bushings. They can be checked visually by turning the front wheels in either direction and looking. See 'LCA question' in wheels and suspension.
Old 06 Nov 2013, 03:44 am
Senior Cruiser

Crewzin; another excellent answer to help out a new 'client'.

Regarding your opinion of the PTs getting poor mileage: 20 mpg city is not poor mileage for a 3200 LB car in the city. Nor is 26 mpg highway. There are too many variables for people to compare their mpg results to others. Many of the people who write in to this site have problems to begin with, and are usually dealing with cars with unknown histories. And, these engines are based on 20 year old technology. Could they be improved? Absolutely. Pentastar V6 with a 9 speed would do it! Ala 2014 cherokee.

People have a tendency to look at the 'greener grass' on the TV ads that give those 30 plus highway mpg figures. But when you look at the fed EPA numbers you will see that the city mpg ratings are pretty close to PTs. And some of those high mileage numbers only apply to special models with standard transmissions.

Thank you again for making this site possible !!!!!!!