PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Help!

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03 Nov 2013, 05:07 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Exclamation Help!

I just bought a 2004 Turbo PT Cruiser 3 months ago. I just recently started noticing a small amount of water under my car, not all the time but every once in a while so thought I would take it to my mechanic. What I thought was a small problem turned out to be a small ulceration/hole in my engine, which he showed me. Standing there, I was devastated. He told me that they are quite common in these cars. I drove it home not knowing what to do now. I don't want to sell it to someone like that and don't really know why it happened or how long it can/should be driven. I really love the car but can't afford a new motor. The car has 115,000 miles. I guess what I am wondering is will it last a while like that or is there something I could do to baby it along? When it does give out is it because the motor is shot. I just need some sound advice. Obviously I am not mechanically savy.
Old 03 Nov 2013, 05:29 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Question Re: Help!

Not sure if I fully understand....Maybe if you could take a picture of the area where this 'hole' is,futher input can be given;No offense,but believe it or not,'some' mechanics do make a habit of taking advantage of women who don't know much about automobiles,in order to get paid more,for doing little work.
Old 03 Nov 2013, 05:58 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: Help!

Welcome to the forum,
Deb,
You have had a 2004 for three months. The car has 115,000 miles.

Some occasional water is found below the car.
If you have had occasion to use the AC during the three months, normal condensation may have been under the car.

Everything about your car may be quite normal.
I'd doubt that you need a new motor. Nonetheless you may face $1000-$1200 in maintenance.

Were you and the mechanic under the car together as he pointed out the "quite common in these cars"..." ulceration/hole in my engine"?
I'll bet the mechanic pointed to the passenger side (end) of the motor.

Unless you know otherwise, the car may not have had the timing belt and water pump replaced. A leaking old water pump (left side of motor) is common.
If not previously done, and you wish to keep the car, you need this maintenance done. If the timing belt breaks, you are immediately stranded with no help except a tow to a garage for a new timing belt and water pump.

Quote:
Originally Posted by debdeb47 View Post
I just bought a 2004 Turbo PT Cruiser 3 months ago. I just recently started noticing a small amount of water under my car, not all the time but every once in a while ... turned out to be a small ulceration/hole in my engine, which he showed me. ... I really love the car but can't afford a new motor. The car has 115,000 miles. ...When it does give out is it because the motor is shot. ...
Old 03 Nov 2013, 06:01 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Actually he did take a picture so I will have him forward it to me and that way I can post it. This mechanic is someone I have had for years, I am not saying he knows alot about these cars though. He never suggested that he would be willing to put a new motor in. He was eager to show me where the hole was and the corrosion, I was surprised because the car was in very good condition with one owner. The only advice I got was to maybe use "Stop Leak". I wasn't happy with the fact that I left there not knowing what to expect now. Thanks for your quick response, I will post the pic.
Old 03 Nov 2013, 06:48 pm
Banned

Its just having a dribble, it happens with old motors and old people
Old 03 Nov 2013, 07:03 pm
Senior Cruiser

Reminds me of my failed " motor diaper " invention ... Gonna patent it anyways, you never know
'03 GT Blue/ autostick.. 160,000KM ( That's 100,000miles for y'all South of the border ) All the options, the heated leather is a must up here in Canada, Love the solid heavy duty feel and obvious Torque.. The Turbo is strong, fast and reliable.. People that don't understand the love of a PT, probably don't deserve to.
Old 03 Nov 2013, 07:15 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Lightbulb Re: Help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by debdeb47 View Post
The only advice I got was to maybe use "Stop Leak".
I would actually suggest not using 'Stop Leak'.....They will more often stop more than just your leak.(no pun intended!)
If your having an issue with a small head-gasket leak,or possible hair-line crack in engine block.......Maybe a low end 'block seal' would work alot better for your PT;Block seals work differently from the ol' 'Stop Leak' in a can/jar....There are some that you leave in,which will work very well,with no bad side affects on cooling system parts.(mainly Water Pump)
Busted_PT and debdeb47 like this.
Old 03 Nov 2013, 08:21 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by randyincctx View Post
I would actually suggest not using 'Stop Leak'.....They will more often stop more than just your leak.(no pun intended!)
If your having an issue with a small head-gasket leak,or possible hair-line crack in engine block.......Maybe a low end 'block seal' would work alot better for your PT;Block seals work differently from the ol' 'Stop Leak' in a can/jar....There are some that you leave in,which will work very well,with no bad side affects on cooling system parts.(mainly Water Pump)

Here is a good one. But first lets see the picture.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 05 Nov 2013, 08:27 am
Banned

Kinda creepy taking pics at Walmart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busted_PT View Post

Here is a good one. But first lets see the picture.
debdeb47 likes this.
Old 05 Nov 2013, 08:59 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busa_Powered View Post
Kinda creepy taking pics at Walmart
Only if you catch someone in management in the frame.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com