Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Intrument cluster comes on and then turns off

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05 Nov 2013, 12:28 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Intrument cluster comes on and then turns off

I have a 2003 PT base model. A couple of the lights on the instrument cluster burned out so I replaced them. Now when I start the car they are all on but, about 5 minutes later, a couple shut off. I assume that something must be overheating or something. If anyone has an idea i would appreciate the help.
Old 05 Nov 2013, 06:03 pm
Banned

Default Re: Intrument cluster comes on and then turns off

Quote:
Originally Posted by byrne_266 View Post
I have a 2003 PT base model. A couple of the lights on the instrument cluster burned out so I replaced them. Now when I start the car they are all on but, about 5 minutes later, a couple shut off. I assume that something must be overheating or something. If anyone has an idea i would appreciate the help.
You might try resetting your instrument cluster. To do this, turn the key on and be sure that your odometer is displayed, not one of the trip meters, then turn the key off. Push in and hold the trip reset button and while holding in the button, then turn the key to the on position, continue to hold in the reset button. The system will go through a self-diagnostic that will test all the gauge needles and lights. This resetting may be enough to fix your issue.

See the following YouTube link for the same information:

Speedometer reset procedure - YouTube

Last edited by rckstein; 05 Nov 2013 at 08:43 pm.
Old 15 Nov 2013, 11:53 am
Fresh Cruiser

thanks for the suggestion but, unfortunately it did not work. I think that i have to either replace the cluster or just wire all the bulbs together. does anyone know if you change the instrument cluster wih a used one will the milage be correct or is that information stored in the instrument cluster.
thanks
Old 04 Dec 2013, 09:56 am
Fresh Cruiser

The mileage is set by the main computer. The instrument cluster read-out is just the "monitor."