PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
"Dog Bone" Bar / Stabiliser Bar...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By wwpptc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07 Nov 2013, 01:15 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default "Dog Bone" Bar / Stabiliser Bar...

Hey folks,

Posted some time ago about a strange 'knocking' noise coming from my 04 PT Limited (export model). The techs who noticed it first had assumed it was the gearbox, but I was unconvinced as it was changing gear absolutely no problem...
Been largely ignoring the noise as noone had been able to track it down since then.

This week my car started really sounding like it was going to fall apart - turned out when I went to the shop that both CV Joints and one track rod end were needing replacing. As part of the job the technician said he'd tracked down the source of the random knocking and that it was a 'dog bone' bar holding the engine in place. He agreed that wasn't the technical name for it just what he calls them as it reminds him of a dog's bone... one of his colleagues said it was a 'stabilising bar' when pushed for the right part name for me to try and track down.

The local Chrysler parts department here in the UK seem puzzled by either of these descriptions.
Typically the tech that diagnosed the problem at my garage flew out on holiday today for 2 weeks and hasn't shown me the part in question for me to dig further... Do these descriptions by any chance make sense to anyone here?

The noise occurs at low speed with sudden acceleration or coming to a stop and feels like it's coming from somewhere on the right hand side of the vehicle (drivers side on the export) and the clunk/movement can be felt in the drivers footwell floor / through the pedals when it happens. Once at speed it never occurs again until slowing down.

Realise this is random! But any pointers appreciated, if not I guess 2 weeks isn't too long to wait for this tech to show me what he found. It's driven fine this long with the problem.

Thanks!
Steve
Old 07 Nov 2013, 01:42 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: "Dog Bone" Bar / Stabiliser Bar...

Lower and Upper Torque Struts.

Upper is the small one.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 07 Nov 2013, 09:42 pm
Senior Cruiser

Those torque struts prevent the engine from twisting forward and rearward whenever the throttle is opened or closed. It's very common for the rubber webbing to eventually fail. Usually both the upper and lower need replacing at the same time. There is also a "motor mount" about midway between the two that also has a rubber isolator. It's a good idea to give that a look also, though those tend to last longer.
Old 08 Nov 2013, 02:01 am
Senior Cruiser

Stek; the dogbone is called 'isolator - transmission mount' . --- The other one in nitro's picture is called 'isolator - engine mount'.
Old 08 Nov 2013, 07:28 am
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks guys - found the UK version of the parts now thanks to these posts.

Are these a pain to fit without the car on a lift, or should I have a go myself?
Old 08 Nov 2013, 08:44 am
Regular Cruiser

Thumbs up Re: "Dog Bone" Bar / Stabiliser Bar...

They are not hard to put on. I did both in about an hour after jacking the car up and taking the wheel off.
Look in the "How To" links posted. Lots of good info there, those "How To" links have saved me tons of time and money. Someone has already been there, done that.
Old 09 Nov 2013, 09:14 pm
Banned

Two torque struts (they look like DOG BONES), one tranny mount and one engine mount (round one).

PLEASE CLICK BELOW.

Jerry
Busted_PT likes this.