PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Coolant questions!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07 Nov 2013, 08:20 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Coolant questions!

Hi,
Just bought my PT and I am already having trouble with the heater. When I got it it blew hot air for a while, then cold, but as of today it is blowing only lukewarm air. I noticed that my coolant level is a little low, and the !diot who I bought it from replaced the coolant with some blue stuff. Could the incorrect coolant destroy the heater core? Is this a common problem with these cars? (heater core) How difficult it is to replace it in a 06? Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Old 07 Nov 2013, 08:27 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Coolant questions!

I suppose it's possible the wrong coolant could clog, but more likely you have air in the system...

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 07 Nov 2013, 09:56 pm
Senior Cruiser

I'm not sure what to tell you about the coolant. To be safe, replace it with the correct stuff.

If your coolant level is low enough, that can cause the heater to blow cold. Do the simple things first. Get your coolant at the correct level and see if that gets the heat working. A thermostat stuck open can also cause the system to not quite heat up and you will feel the difference in the heater output.

Usually a failed heater core will leak and it's less common for it to be plugged. Inspecting the "blue" stuff when you dump it should give you a clue to the possibility of any plugging. Changing a heater core is a big deal on just about any car. I hope you don't have to go there.
Old 07 Nov 2013, 11:12 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for the quick reply. Well, I am going to the dealer tomorrow to flush the system and put the correct stuff in it, and then we will see. I really hope it is just that and not something more serious. I did replace a heater core in my '78 Deville a couple months ago, but I rather not do it on this car...
Old 08 Nov 2013, 09:07 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by yenciny View Post
Thanks for the quick reply. Well, I am going to the dealer tomorrow to flush the system and put the correct stuff in it, and then we will see. I really hope it is just that and not something more serious. I did replace a heater core in my '78 Deville a couple months ago, but I rather not do it on this car...
I think you need to find out why you are loosing coolant. No mater what color it is. You will keep loosing fluid until you address the why.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 08 Nov 2013, 04:21 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I was not losing coolant, it was low when I got it a couple days ago.
Just got it back from the dealer, system flushed out, still lukewarm air comes out, no leaks, technician says it is probably the heater core. I am really really disappointed right now. I think I will have to get rid of it. Winter is here, and there is no way I will spend another thousand $ on this one. Any ideas?
I could still try and change the thermostat, but they say that it is fine...
Old 08 Nov 2013, 05:27 pm
Veteran Cruiser

what does the temp guage on the instrument panel say? if it is right in the middle, not hot, not cold, straight horizontal, the thermostat is fine. for sure.

are you sure the temperature adjustment knob on the heater control panel is functioning properly? maybe something stupid is disconnected, or not actuating all the way. i've NEVER read on here about cool heat due to a heater core. ive read about them leaking, but never clogging. it could still have air in the system, i doubt it, but it can happen.

Last edited by rob342; 08 Nov 2013 at 05:32 pm.
Old 08 Nov 2013, 05:32 pm
Fresh Cruiser

On the way home from the dealership I noticed, that if I pushed the car, the heat would work fine, but standing at a light the air would turn cold again. The car does not overheat, stays at halfway, and warms up there pretty quick. But the engine does not seem to be warm enough for me. After driving it about 5 miles pretty hard, the hoses are not very hot. And it is not freezing out there. Besides this car gets terrible gas mileage, about 16 miles a gallon average, and I put Shell V-power in it... So I am still thinking it could be the thermostat, but the dealer says it is fine. Any thoughts on that?
Old 08 Nov 2013, 05:37 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Actually, the heater adjuster button makes a funny "thump" when I twist it all the way to max heat. I never really payed much attention to that I thought was normal, never had a Chrysler of this vintage. Have to check it out tomorrow. But there is no leak, for sure, the dealership confirmed it as well. How hard it is to take that panel apart to get access to that knob?
Old 08 Nov 2013, 05:41 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by yenciny View Post
Actually, the heater adjuster button makes a funny "thump" when I twist it all the way to max heat. I never really payed much attention to that I thought was normal, never had a Chrysler of this vintage. Have to check it out tomorrow. But there is no leak, for sure, the dealership confirmed it as well. How hard it is to take that panel apart to get access to that knob?
mine makes no thump. the air sound just gets a little quieter when i turn it from cool to hot.

to get the panel off, you pry out the window switch from the top and remove a screw, that's it. then you pull the panel off and all the knobs fall on the floor. it's kinda funny, and it's easy.