PT CRUISER 2003 WONT START

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By soyomb
  • 1 Post By 2step

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08 Nov 2013, 01:52 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default PT CRUISER 2003 WONT START

I'm having issues with my car and am unable to find out what is wrong with it. I was pulling out of driveway in reverse, went to shift into drive and somehow the shifter slipped and went down to one and the while car turned off in the middle of the street. I didn't shift any different then usual so im not sure what happened. i check all the fuses under the hood, the ignition off draw fuse was blown, so i changed it and put a new one in and the car still wont start. when i try to start it you can hear the starter relay click once but the starter doesn't come on at all. i checked the starter relay by switching it with the horn relay and it was fine. I took out the starter and took it to a place to check it and the starter works fine. I also check the black clip on the starter and there wasn't any issues with it. I dont know what else to check. It seems like I have checked everything twice and cant figure out why the starter is not clicking or at least turning. Any suggestions? I dont know what else to check. ive also checked the battery and jumped started the car so it doesnt seem to be a battery problem. also checked the ignition switch because when i turned the key of the car on the lights dim because its pulling power so the ignition switch shouldnt be the problem
Old 08 Nov 2013, 03:02 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: PT CRUISER 2003 WONT START

i'm gonna guess a faulty neutral safety switch (or wiring to it) since this all started with the shifter going from reverse into drive1, which popped the iod fuse. not sure where exactly it is located.
Old 08 Nov 2013, 03:43 pm
Banned

Exclamation Re: PT CRUISER 2003 WONT START

Hi welcome to the forum

I see this is your first posting, where have you been?

How long have you owned your cruiser?

Does it have any modifications?

Post some pictures!!

Are you in any local clubs with your pt cruiser?

Did you name your pt? It seems odd to me but people do it.

Welcome to the forum, don't be a stranger
Old 09 Nov 2013, 05:13 am
Senior Cruiser

Mar; you stated 'when I turn the key the lights dim'. Do the lights dim when you turn to 'on' or to 'start' ? It sounds like a weak connection between the battery terminal and the PCM/fusebox/fuses. Gotta start someplace!
Old 09 Nov 2013, 10:59 am
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by marbell9129 View Post
went to shift into drive and somehow the shifter slipped and went down to one (
A lot of information missing here, but based on this, I'm going to guess automatic trans. Right?

Sometimes when a stall deal like this happens, a person can get all flustered and forget to put the selector in Park and step on the brake pedal before turning the key. But assuming you're doing the correct procedure and there is nothing wrong with the battery, etc., then the neutral safety switch or something else slipped in the selector, like soyomb suggested, is a likely culprit.