Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By sanatanadharma

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11 Nov 2013, 06:40 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default PT problems... Help needed!

Hi,

I have a 2005 2.2crd, (english)

Have had it for a couple of weeks, and it is nothing but problems.
Firstly, it over revs at idle, OBD shows code P0070 any ideas?
Second code it showed was P1685 again, any ideas?

The next problem is, the boot, (trunk?) opens itself. Started last week, popped clutch in, to put in gear, 'beep' tailgate light on, on dash. Got out, closed it, drove away. Happened again 15 mins later.
Next day, in reverse, in first, kept popping open. Now it is constantly doing it, even when parked.

You close it, and it opens.
The central locking mechanism just keeps whirring happily away, when off, on, driving, sitting.....

The next thing, is the alarm keeps going off randomly.
Need fixes please!
Old 11 Nov 2013, 08:04 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: PT problems... Help needed!

Welcome to the forum. I'm not sure if our (USA) codes are the same as for your diesel engine.

P0070 Ambient Outside Air Temp Sensor

P1685 Skim Invalid Key - The engine controller has received an invalid key from the SKIM.

The rear latch can be adjusted at the bottom. The lower long piece at the edge of the tail can pull up to reveal the latch and bolts holding it down. Maybe just a small adjustment will stop the random opening.

Are you talking about the horn/lights flashing alarm that came standard on the PT or it is some kind of after-market alarm? If it's the horn and lights, it might be that the alarm sensor for the hood/bonnet (If you have one), one of the doors or the rear latch, isn't closing properly which causes a drop in voltage and the alarm goes off. Could have something to do with the rear hatch not properly latching so the two problems could be the same problem.

You've only had the car a couple weeks. Any warranty or guarantee that you can take it back and have them look at it? Is there any history of the car. Sounds like a lot of electrical issues so maybe be a battery problem also.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 11 Nov 2013, 09:02 am
Obsessed Cruiser

The outside temp sensor is about the size of a pencil eraser, and is mounted to a vertical bar right in front of the radiator - you can see it behind the grill... - check the wires to it. If the temp is being read wrong, the engine is being fed more fuel to rev it up and warm it up.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 12 Nov 2013, 05:08 am
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for the replies, the alarm is the standard issue came with the car variety.
We have disconnected the central locking wires to the boot, and now manually lock and unlock but the alarm still goes off!

As for warranty, the dealer ripped us off, and is refusing any comebacks, so that is currently a dead end.

I have a lot of paperwork for the car, for services etc, and nothing is mentioned on any of the papers about any electrical problems.

I don't get why there is a SKIM code registering on the OBD, as the two keys we have are the original that were issued with the car, could it be an error on my part, I had problems removing the key, (fiddly button release thingy), and I am also not used to having to put the clutch in to start a car, could either of these cause the SKIM code?

I have looked at the temp sensor, (well, I think I have!) and the wires seem okay, would this also affect the interior temp reading, (the little compass and temp thing set into the car) as this temperature is consistent with the outside temp, (if that makes sense!)
Old 12 Nov 2013, 11:32 am
Obsessed Cruiser

I am sorry.
The sensor I described is, indeed, the one that reads the temp for the overhead console - not the engine.
On petrol PTs, the IAT (Intake Air Temp) sensor is in the intake tube near the throttle - I assume diesels have something equivalent to enrich the fuel dose to warm up a cold engine....

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 12 Nov 2013, 04:36 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Looking at the 2004 wiring diagrams:
The 2.2 CRD diesel has an air-inlet temperature sensor AND an ambient-air temperature sensor.
Apparently the "ambient-air temp signal comes from the mass air flow sensor (where?).
A yellow/ light green wire connects the ECU CONNECTOR [C1, PIN #17] to the mass air-flow sensor [pin #1].
The schematic identifies this wire as the ambient-air temp signal (separate from air-inlet temperature sensor).
5kyrocket likes this.