Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Taillights out with bulbs OK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13 Nov 2013, 06:51 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Taillights out with bulbs OK

2006 Cruiser with both taillights out (front lights OK) Bulbs OK Replaced multifunction switch, did not help. No power to back lights. Could not figure out which fuse controls but did check all (I believe!) and all OK. Brake lights, which I know are on a separate system do work. Not sure if this is related but also have instrument panel lights out!!!

I am stumped, any ideas? Soes anyone know which fuse controls them, just to double check?
Old 13 Nov 2013, 07:03 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: Taillights out with bulbs OK

you may need the TIPM reset by the dealer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chataries View Post
I have a 2006 PT Cruiser Touring. I noticed that my dashboard lights weren't working when i cranked my car up to go home for the night from work. On my way home, i was pulled over by a cop who told me that my tail lights weren't on. My blinkers, signal, brake,headlights etc work. The cop suggested that it could be a blown fuse but that she wasn't sure, and i was let go and told to put on hazard lights so that i wouldn't get ticketed. I know that the fuse box is located under the hood, but i'm not sure which fuse to check for the problem. The manual gives little info and the fuse box lid is no help either. Auto Zone told me that 06 PT Cruiser doesn't have a fuse for tail/dashlights, is this true? If not, which fuse should i check? The dealership wants to charge $90 just to put my car through diagnostics plus cost of labor. Before i do that, i want to rule out blown fuse or whatever. I'm not too car savvy, but i get by. Could anyone help? Does a fuse exist that control the taillights/dash inside the 06 Cruiser? Is it a fuse problem, should i check my tail light bulbs too? Any help would be appreciated.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartman View Post
could be the cluster, multifunction switch (doubtful), or integrated power module. no fuses for tails/dash on 06 models apparantly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chataries View Post
Hi All!!!

It was the control module. The control module had to be reset. It's all I remember really and from what the dealership told me. I no longer own the car. I ended up trading it in for a larger vehicle for my family.

Thanks to you both!!!
Old 13 Nov 2013, 07:06 pm
Veteran Cruiser

even though that's not what you want to hear, having the dealer reset the TIPM would be the easiest solution to try before driving yourself nuts.

you can try disconnecting the battery and stepping on the brake pedal, that fixes some weird issues. the dealer reset is a more likely fix though

Last edited by rob342; 13 Nov 2013 at 07:11 pm.
Old 13 Nov 2013, 07:38 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Question Re: Taillights out with bulbs OK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elrondjones View Post
No power to back lights.
Have you checked the bulb sockets & contact points for continuity?.....Also do a 'pin/probe check' on the wiring about 2-3 inches from the sockets......Is the 3rd brake light working either?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elrondjones View Post
Not sure if this is related but also have instrument panel lights out!!!
Do you mean ALL dash lighting,or only some....Try to be specific,and describe issue in detail(Tach,Speedo,Gas,HVAC)....If ALL dash lighting is off,try turning the reostat in both directions w/lights on.
Old 14 Nov 2013, 12:31 am
Senior Cruiser

Elron; does your license plate light work?