PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Instrument panel bulbs

Like Tree12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15 Nov 2013, 01:13 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Instrument panel bulbs

Hey guys and gals I'm going to be changing out my dash lights to LEDs I know I need #74 bulbs and that I need 7 in total wondering I had seen that people said to not leave the instrument panel upside down for too long is there a reason for this

Thanks kris
Old 15 Nov 2013, 01:25 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Instrument panel bulbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBluePT View Post
Hey guys and gals I'm going to be changing out my dash lights to LEDs I know I need #74 bulbs and that I need 7 in total wondering I had seen that people said to not leave the instrument panel upside down for too long is there a reason for this

Thanks kris
It may be my opinion until others post results?
The 1st generation PTs dash gauge cluster bulb location (poor illumination design) does not do well with LED replacements. Most LEDs are very directional in there illumination. You may not like how your gauges will look after you install them.

Not sure what the inverted gauge cluster is all about. I looked on ALLDATA and there was no warnings or reference to this when servicing it, nor was there any in the few factory service manuals I have?

I was told these are 2 good sources for LEDs
LED Lights, Bulbs & LED Lighting Accessories - SUPER BRIGHT LEDS
www.autolumination.com Automotive, Household, Truck Lighting Products Led Bulbs Wiring and Electronics

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 15 Nov 2013, 01:37 am
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks ya I'm gonna switch em out if I don't find it bright enough I may go led strip route and custom do it so they are nice and bright
Old 15 Nov 2013, 09:53 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Thanks ya I'm gonna switch em out if I don't find it bright enough I may go led strip route and custom do it so they are nice and bright
Looking forward to what you find out and reporting back. Pictures are always welcome!

Dalai Lama
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 15 Nov 2013, 01:04 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Post Re: Instrument panel bulbs

Quote:
I'm going to be changing out my dash lights to LEDs I know I need #74 bulbs and that I need 7 in total
Actually you need a total of 8 bulbs....
6-bulbs for the Instrument Cluster + 2-bulbs for the Turn Signal Indicators.
If you want it brighter illumination,you can go with a #2723 bulb rated 0.2 Amp/18.60 Lumens/1.48 MSCP/1,100 Hrs......Where a #74 bulb(normal stock for the Ins. Cluster) is only rated 0.1 Amp/8.80 Lumens/0.70 MSCP/1,000 Hrs;So in comparison you'll notice the #2723 is over 2X brighter than the recommended stock bulb(#74) the difference is 9.8 Lumens & .78 MSCP more,and only a little more amperage @ 0.09 Amp more,that's a very small difference in Amps;The most difference is gained in level of brightness,and the bonus 100 Hrs of bulb life(i.e. 100 Hrs extra you won't have a bulb burn out).

#2723 Bulb- 2723 Miniature Light Bulbs Box 10 12 Volt 2 Amp | eBay
#74 Bulb- 74 Miniature Light Bulbs Box of 10 14 Volt 1 Amp | eBay
You'll notice I only posted a U.S. seller,that's because I have read about more people having problems with bulbs(especially LEDs) from overseas sellers(mainly China),and then having the bulbs,burn out after 1-2 weeks,or causing electrical problems with their cars(including fires!).....Not to mention it's a total PITA to do returns and/or get a refund from them.
In conclusion;Whether your go with incandescent,or LEDs buy from a reputable seller located in the U.S.A.
NitroPT and _PTGT03 like this.
Old 15 Nov 2013, 01:09 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroPT View Post
It may be my opinion until others post results?
The 1st generation PTs dash gauge cluster bulb location (poor illumination design) does not do well with LED replacements. Most LEDs are very directional in there illumination. You may not like how your gauges will look after you install them.

Not sure what the inverted gauge cluster is all about. I looked on ALLDATA and there was no warnings or reference to this when servicing it, nor was there any in the few factory service manuals I have?

I was told these are 2 good sources for LEDs
LED Lights, Bulbs & LED Lighting Accessories - SUPER BRIGHT LEDS
www.autolumination.com Automotive, Household, Truck Lighting Products Led Bulbs Wiring and Electronics
The instrument cluster should not be inverted for more than 20 or 30 min, as the indicators of the instruments are oil damped and turning them over for a long time, drains the oil out and damages the instruments.
P.S. I purchased many types of LED replacements for my PT from Superbrightleds, they carry every replacement for filaments bulbs for our PT Cruiser.
Old 15 Nov 2013, 01:30 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by valektor View Post
The instrument cluster should not be inverted for more than 20 or 30 min, as the indicators of the instruments are oil damped and turning them over for a long time, drains the oil out and damages the instruments.
P.S. I purchased many types of LED replacements for my PT from Superbrightleds, they carry every replacement for filaments bulbs for our PT Cruiser.

Thanks I finally found it and you are correct.
It was in the factory service manual REMOVAL/ CAUTION

I also saw this thread about dash cluster lights.
LED dash lights

Dalai Lama
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN

Last edited by NitroPT; 15 Nov 2013 at 01:33 pm.
Old 15 Nov 2013, 01:52 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by valektor View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroPT View Post
Thanks I finally found it and you are correct.
It was in the factory service manual REMOVAL/ CAUTION

I also saw this thread about dash cluster lights.
LED dash lights
That's strange. I had heard this. Yet these things are shipped all over. I'm willing to bet the carriers don't care even if the box reads this side up. I guess this is possible but very rare. I have one shipped from the west coast and laid around here for a few weeks and no issues. I would think that they are somewhat sealed. Or the oil would thicken from contamination. Don't know. And no need to be overly worried about it. No longer than you will be messing with it. Not like these are easy to mess up.
Papasmurf has some experience doing first gen. And can help out with his knowledge first hand.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com

Last edited by Busted_PT; 15 Nov 2013 at 01:58 pm.
Old 15 Nov 2013, 02:47 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busted_PT View Post
That's strange. I had heard this. Yet these things are shipped all over. I'm willing to bet the carriers don't care even if the box reads this side up. I guess this is possible but very rare. I have one shipped from the west coast and laid around here for a few weeks and no issues. I would think that they are somewhat sealed. Or the oil would thicken from contamination. Don't know. And no need to be overly worried about it. No longer than you will be messing with it. Not like these are easy to mess up.
Papasmurf has some experience doing first gen. And can help out with his knowledge first hand.
Danny I also checked for TSBs about this and there is nothing there. Never the less it is a Chrysler Service manual caution.
I must say when I carefully read the service and diagnosis procedure for the gauge cluster there was no reference to damage caused from being up side down.
You know me now that I am aware that there is a proper procedure for servicing and cautions I have to follow them.

Dalai Lama
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN

Last edited by NitroPT; 15 Nov 2013 at 04:16 pm.
Old 15 Nov 2013, 03:55 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I just put an order in with a local guy who deals with LEDs he said he can't get the ultra bright bulbs but the 74 in blue led should light it up enough for me lol thanks for the input everyone