PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Problems Accelerating and Whirring Noise?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17 Nov 2013, 03:04 am
Fresh Cruiser

Question Problems Accelerating and Whirring Noise?

Hello,
I have a 2002 PT Cruiser limited edition that I purchased used a few months ago - so I don't know much about the previous upkeep. Two weeks ago I had an oil change, air filter change, and the fluids checked at Jiffy Lube.
A couple of days ago my husband told me he heard a whirring (almost as background noise) but I didn't hear anything. Yesterday, there was a slight whirring noise that started when accelerating, but nothing else happened. Today, the noise increased quite a bit and although the car works fine when starting up, accelerating becomes difficult within the first mile of driving. I pulled into a parking lot, idled the car for a minute, and attempted to reverse or drive the car but pressing the gas peddle did nothing. The car's RPM will increase, but the car will not move.
I'm not a car-person myself so I have very limited knowledge to go from, but I was hoping that someone could give me advise on what could likely be causing this problem before I pay a ton to a mechanic to tear it apart. I love my car but if this is likely a transmission problem I may have to cut my losses and sell the car for junk.
Old 17 Nov 2013, 06:49 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Problems Accelerating and Whirring Noise?

That's what is sounds like, transaxle problem but further diagnostic by a professional will need to be done to find out the exact cause. Did the grease monkeys at Jiffy Lube check all the fluid levels including the trans? Is the engine light on to help find the fault?

I take it you have no warranty from wherever you bought it from?

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.

Last edited by CREWZIN; 17 Nov 2013 at 06:52 am.
Old 17 Nov 2013, 01:50 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Question Re: Problems Accelerating and Whirring Noise?

Hmmmm......Didn't actually state whether ATX,or 5-Speed?
Old 17 Nov 2013, 06:00 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: Problems Accelerating and Whirring Noise?

First thing, you or your husband should check the fluid level in the trans (I'm assuming you have an automatic trans???). From your comments, you didn't have it serviced but had it "checked". It could be something as simple as them forgetting to put the dipstick back in. It's not the one marked "Oil". There should be a second dipstick. Check it with the engine warmed, running and the gear selector in neutral or park. (You check the oil with the engine off and the trans with the engine running.) The dipstick is marked to indicate where the fluid level should be.

Can you detect any drips, leaks or fluid puddles under the car after it's been parked for a while? Not all trans issues are big, expensive problems. For example, the solenoid pack on the outside of the trans is a common problem. The pack is a couple of hundred buck and less than an hour of labor at a shop. It's a small do it yourself project for someone who is handy with a wrench right in your driveway.
Old 17 Nov 2013, 07:33 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Question Re: Problems Accelerating and Whirring Noise?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2step View Post
(I'm assuming you have an automatic trans???)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleKai View Post
attempted to reverse or drive the car but pressing the gas peddle did nothing. The car's RPM will increase, but the car will not move.
That's not enough of a clue,neccessarily to assume......If she'd said: "I attempted to put the car IN reverse and then INTO drive.";Because you know what happens sometimes when you 'ASSUME'.....

Last edited by randyincctx; 17 Nov 2013 at 07:37 pm.

Tags
accelerating, problem, problems