Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Lock/ Unlock verification

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17 Nov 2013, 06:11 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Lock/ Unlock verification

When I purchased my PT, the marker lights would illuminate when the vehicle was locked and unlocked with the remote.

It quit doing it some time ago. I did the computer reset today with no avail.

Just wondered if anyone out there in PT-ville has experienced this small but annoying problem, and what did they do to remedy it. Thanks
Red tint tails, chrome trimmed grille, custom towel rack buttonless flamed shifter, auto dimming rear view, Homelink remote transmitter, driver seat drawer, MOPAR sub, lowered 1" rear, MOPAR/Borla dual tipped exhaust, chrome trimmed GT gauge/airbag surround, front 35% tint, and the ever so important Fuzzy Dice
Old 17 Nov 2013, 08:23 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Lock/ Unlock verification

Does the horn still beep when you lock or unlock the car?

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 17 Nov 2013, 08:37 pm
Veteran Cruiser

As long as all of your door locks and light bulbs otherwise function normally, your problem is most likely to be the RKE module and the fix would be replacement.
According to the Mitchel Repair guide for 2002, RKE pins #1 & 2 power the light flashes when the remote keyless entry is used. This is true whether an alarm is present or not.

There is no common point between the two pin circuits and no fuses. You might check the RKE module connector for signs of damage.

Pin #1, violet/white wire, is spliced (S225) to light system (L4) somewhere near ignition switch connector and powers the headlight circuit.

Pin #2, black/yellow wire, is spliced (S233) to light system (L7) behind the dash center and powers the front and rear corner parking lights.

Pin #18, black/red wire powers the horn circuit.

Last edited by sanatanadharma; 17 Nov 2013 at 08:40 pm. Reason: added more information
Old 17 Nov 2013, 10:34 pm
Cool Cruiser

Thanks for the info. The horn will double beep when I unlock it after locking it manually.

I never tried setting the the beep when lock function (factory setup).

I'll check the wiring by the RKE. I had it out a while ago when I had the famous no lock/ no headlight saga. The RKE was fine, turns out the main feed behind the fuse block was burnt (another common problem).

I'm not sure if the marker light flash quit then, never really noticed.

Who knows, maybe the plug is not thoroughly plugged in.

Thanks again, Gregg
Red tint tails, chrome trimmed grille, custom towel rack buttonless flamed shifter, auto dimming rear view, Homelink remote transmitter, driver seat drawer, MOPAR sub, lowered 1" rear, MOPAR/Borla dual tipped exhaust, chrome trimmed GT gauge/airbag surround, front 35% tint, and the ever so important Fuzzy Dice
Old 18 Nov 2013, 04:56 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanatanadharma View Post
As long as all of your door locks and light bulbs otherwise function normally, your problem is most likely to be the RKE module and the fix would be replacement.
According to the Mitchel Repair guide for 2002, RKE pins #1 & 2 power the light flashes when the remote keyless entry is used. This is true whether an alarm is present or not.

There is no common point between the two pin circuits and no fuses. You might check the RKE module connector for signs of damage.

Pin #1, violet/white wire, is spliced (S225) to light system (L4) somewhere near ignition switch connector and powers the headlight circuit.

Pin #2, black/yellow wire, is spliced (S233) to light system (L7) behind the dash center and powers the front and rear corner parking lights.

Pin #18, black/red wire powers the horn circuit.
I just checked up on the wiring in my service manual, and low and behold the number 2 pin from the RKE goes right to the infamous Multi-function switch.

So it looks like I will be removing the MFS (I love that acronym) AGAIN, to check those connections.

If memory serves me, I recall seeing some slightly burnt connections on the plug.

Hopefully that is the culprit, and it will just involve doing some cleaning, and tightening.
Old 19 Nov 2013, 09:28 am
Senior Cruiser

If I remember correctly, the lights blinking when you lock can be set to not blink at all. It's possible that the setting has been changed inadvertently for some reason. The procedure to set it up however you wish is in the owner's manual.
Old 19 Nov 2013, 10:41 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Insert the key and turn to on. Press and hold unlock button on transmitter for 4 to 10 sec. Continue to hold and press the lock button. Then release both. A chime will sound when complete.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 19 Nov 2013, 04:21 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busted_PT View Post
Insert the key and turn to on. Press and hold unlock button on transmitter for 4 to 10 sec. Continue to hold and press the lock button. Then release both. A chime will sound when complete.
Just got back in from doing this, (and I think because I have an aftermarket along with the factory setup), it just set off the panic .

The panic went off at about 2 or 3 seconds of holding the unlock. I still tried continuing with the hitting the lock at the same time, but no luck.

I did it twice, just to make sure (I'm sure the neighbors loved me).

I'm going to check my connections (after I do leaves GRRR!!). and see if any of them are burnt, or corroded.
Old 19 Nov 2013, 09:32 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Where can someone get an RKE module, other than the dealer and what's the normal price for a new one, or even used. thanks
Old 20 Nov 2013, 02:37 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by bighowie View Post
Where can someone get an RKE module, other than the dealer and what's the normal price for a new one, or even used. thanks
pt cruiser keyless module | eBay