Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
2002 overheating please help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20 Nov 2013, 06:02 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default 2002 overheating please help

Just bought my first PT finally after wanting one for a long time. It is a 02 limited with a 2.4 and auto. It has 155000 miles on it. It has overheated a couple of times beggar I got it.(it was my sister in laws) . Did it at various times as not regular.once was going on the freeway and once was in traffic. Just puked out about a pint of water.they had the thermostat changed and the radiator changed and it did it again. Water is moving when the engine is running.

Any suggestions? I only paid 300.00$ for the car and it is in AMAZING shape except that.
Old 20 Nov 2013, 06:26 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: 2002 overheating please help

Welcome to the forum.

Since you don't know what maintenance has been done to correct the problem except changing the thermostat, there's quite a few other things that could cause overheating that we've seen on the PT.

Any leak of the coolant will let air into the coolant system and that can cause overheating. The wrong type anti-freeze could cause a reaction with the HOAT anti-freeze that is supposed to be used and that reaction could cause a blockage or partial blockage inside the radiator.

You have a two speed fan and it's notorious for one of the speeds to burn out which could cause overheating and last but not least, there could be a crack in the head gasket (or head) from one of the previous times it overheated.

I didn't mention the water pump as you said water (hope you meant coolant) is moving when the engine is running.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 20 Nov 2013, 08:07 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for the reply.

I will check those as soon as I get the car here in a week or so. I figure the water pump will be replaced with the timing belts but was gonna check for the overheating problem before so if it is more to it like a head gasket then I will probably plan an engine overhaul as the trans was replaced about 7000 miles ago.
Old 20 Nov 2013, 08:20 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

You definitely want to know if you need a head gasket before doing timing belt, because timing belt is labor intensive and the timing belt has to come off to take off the head.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 21 Nov 2013, 04:31 pm
Young Cruiser

Take the radiator cap off and see if you got a lot of bubbles coming up in the coolant. This could be a clue that its the Head gasket or a crack in the head letting compression get by into the cooling system.
Old 21 Nov 2013, 08:55 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for the reply guys . It really helps. I will keep ya posted on the progress. With only paying 300.00$ for the car I have some fix up money !
Old 25 Nov 2013, 06:12 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narrowminded View Post
Thanks for the reply guys . It really helps. I will keep ya posted on the progress. With only paying 300.00$ for the car I have some fix up money !
Not saying that this is what it is but be ready for a head gasket. Mine didn't have bubbles in the coolant, a sniffer didn't tell me, ALL of my hoses lines and radiator were brand new, pressure check was fine, compression test checked out. I looked at every possible fix and was baffled. So I tore it down and found the TINIEST bit of oil mixed with coolant (minuscule) on the head bolt between the #2 and #3 cylinder. Slapped a new head gasket and timing gear and viola.... No more overheating. Hope this isn't your issue because doing it myself still cost around $700 after buying all the motor mounts, fluids vacuum hose you break, the pcv hose that comes off of the valve cover that is rotten. Really its a HUGE P.I.T.A. and will take days if not weeks if you've never done one (took me 3 days) I'm a certified Hyundai dealer tech also (as embarrassing as it sounds) its a mother.