Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
2006 GT Turbo fully loaded

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22 Nov 2013, 07:52 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default 2006 GT Turbo fully loaded

I have a 2006 GT Turbo, every option you can get except convertible. It has a random starting problem but I have found a sort of fix. First let say that the random starting problem is like the battery is dead. I mean DEAD no juice then some times it will have enough to turn on the dash but not start. Other times just barely crank over but not fast enough to start.

This can be 1 day , 3 days or a week in between the concurrences. It has been driving me nuts. Between each of the dead occurrences it starts fine. I changed the battery then I was thinking of changing the alternator but I have been told that the 2006 year they used a generator and all the power goes through the computer and the computer sends the charging power to the battery. I dont know if thats true or not.

Here is the fix sort of.

The only way I can keep it starting 100% of the time and not be an unreliable piece of crap is:
In the fuse box in the engine compartment there is a double fuse covered with a white piece of plastic. I pull this up until its loose but it does not come out all the way. dont try you may ruin the plastic piece that holds the 2 fuses. Anyway its called the shipping fuse. it lets the car only get power when the key is on. After its started you don't get Dome lights, key fob radio, dash radio and may be more. I just know of the ones I mentioned, anyway it will always stay charged and start every day every time while that shipping fuse is pulled.

While the fuse is pulled the dash will say "noFUSE"

Has anyone heard of anything like that?

all stock:
2006 PT Cruiser only 35500 miles on it
Turbo GT 5 speed manual transmission
6 Cd Boston Acoustic Audio system
Heated power seats
High performance suspension
Power sun/moon roof
Old 22 Nov 2013, 09:03 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: 2006 GT Turbo fully loaded

Both the first (00-05) and second (06-10) generation cruiser have this fuse called the IOD (Ignition Off Draw). However, yours being a 2006, the whole electrical system was changed to something called a CAN-BUSS system. Very complicated compared to the earlier models. Your sounds like something is drawing power when your not actually using the car, but you might have already figured that out by pulling the fuse. It's going to take time finding the culprit that's drawing power.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 22 Nov 2013, 12:21 pm
Banned

Welcome to the forum!

If you had every available option you would have the autostick 4 speed transmission, it was almost 1000 dollars more than the standard 5 speed manual

Just sayin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimy View Post
I have a 2006 GT Turbo, every option you can get except convertible. It has a random starting problem but I have found a sort of fix. First let say that the random starting problem is like the battery is dead. I mean DEAD no juice then some times it will have enough to turn on the dash but not start. Other times just barely crank over but not fast enough to start.

This can be 1 day , 3 days or a week in between the concurrences. It has been driving me nuts. Between each of the dead occurrences it starts fine. I changed the battery then I was thinking of changing the alternator but I have been told that the 2006 year they used a generator and all the power goes through the computer and the computer sends the charging power to the battery. I dont know if thats true or not.

Here is the fix sort of.

The only way I can keep it starting 100% of the time and not be an unreliable piece of crap is:
In the fuse box in the engine compartment there is a double fuse covered with a white piece of plastic. I pull this up until its loose but it does not come out all the way. dont try you may ruin the plastic piece that holds the 2 fuses. Anyway its called the shipping fuse. it lets the car only get power when the key is on. After its started you don't get Dome lights, key fob radio, dash radio and may be more. I just know of the ones I mentioned, anyway it will always stay charged and start every day every time while that shipping fuse is pulled.

all stock:
Heated power seats
Power sun/moon roof
Old 22 Nov 2013, 12:32 pm
Senior Cruiser

Buy a digital meter. with the car off and your master fuse in, measure the ignition off draw in milliamps.

Now pull that fuse out and see what the draw is. Now reinstall that fuse and start pulling some of the others, see which circuit is drawing the current to isolate. You probably have something bad, radio, body control module or what ever.

Quote:

Here is the fix sort of.

all stock:
Heated power seats
Power sun/moon roof

86 TurboZ CS 2.2 T2 +20's A555
00 Durango SLT+ 5.9 4x4
02 Grand Cherokee 4.7 4x4
03 PT GT Black 5 sp Stg 1 sold
05 PT GT Silver 5 Spd Conv
06 PT GT Cool Vanilla 5 spd Conv
06 PT Base Marine Blue 40TE Conv
15 Grand Cherokee Overland 5.7 QD2
17 Challenger SRT A8 GoMango
18 JL Wrangler Sahara Punkn
20 JL Wrangler Rubicon Ocean Blue
Old 22 Nov 2013, 06:56 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I tried the multimeter option, never get more then a .03 draw which seems normal for key fob radio and such.

yeah the part about every option, I didn't know about the auto-stick option so for me I thought it was every option. I did not purchase it new, I got it after it was a couple years old and only had 12000 miles on it. It did not start showing this problem until we had it over a year or so.
Old 22 Nov 2013, 07:01 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
I tried the multimeter option, never get more then a .03 draw which seems normal for key fob radio and such.

yeah the part about every option, I didn't know about the auto-stick option so for me I thought it was every option. I did not purchase it new, I got it after it was a couple years old and only had 12000 miles on it. It did not start showing this problem until we had it over a year or so.
Were there anything changed or added at around that time?

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 25 Nov 2013, 08:42 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Nope still the same as when we bought it. Other then the problems that is.

I wonder sometimes if it isn't some kind of short somewhere that's random, or possibly something randomly stays powered after key off when its not supposed to.

Does the 6 CD Boston acoustic audio have a powered sub somewhere that maybe stays on randomly?

Could a bad computer be randomly keeping something powered up after key off, and or not keeping the battery charged like it should? But then it most likely would not work like it does with the fuse pulled.

I have thought about having a new computer put in it but that costs so much to try without knowing for sure if it will fix the problem.
All I know is without finding the power draw, if there is one or detection of the problem I can not trace it down without just replacing parts at random ideas. That's just a too expensive thought for me.
Old 25 Nov 2013, 09:37 pm
Banned

When it's parked just pull the battery cables off and be done with it
Old 30 Nov 2013, 11:36 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

The Boston Acoustic system came with a sub located at the extreme rear of the car on the driver's side. The same space is a storage compartment on most other cruisers without the sub.

2008 Touring -9050 miles (Cash for Clunkers trade-in)
2008 Miata MX5 Vert. 30000 Mi
2000 Astro Con. Van. 58000 Mi (One owner)
2005 HD Sporster 1200, 8000 Mi
Old 01 Dec 2013, 01:20 am
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busa_Powered View Post
Welcome to the forum!

If you had every available option you would have the autostick 4 speed transmission, it was almost 1000 dollars more than the standard 5 speed manual

Just sayin
If I remember right the 5 speed was a $200 option over the autostick on my 05 GT Vert
2004 Dream Cruiser / 5 speed Traded for 12 Veloster
2003 GT / Blue / Auto /sold
2001 Touring/ Silver / 5 speed /sold on E Bay