PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
SKIM problem w/ changing the PCM

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23 Nov 2013, 01:08 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default SKIM problem w/ changing the PCM

Folks, originally, our '01 PT started cutting out while driving, and we got code PO 601, PCM malfunction. So I bought a used PCM from Ebay for $110. When I unplugged the original PCM, I found oil in the fender-side plug. After getting insight from this forum, we changed the oil pressure sending unit, and I believe the oil problem is now fixed. (I do believe the oil getting into the plug was the cause of the PCM malfunction.) So last night I plugged the Ebay computer in. It fired and died 4 times, and then nothing, and a new code: PO1685. So I guess the Ebay computer is unhappy because the "wrong key" for that computer is being used. I put the original PCM back in so we can drive the car (we can get around but as I say, it is cutting out consistently). I called the local Chrysler dealer this morning and they said they have had no success in reprogramming PCMs that have the SKIM feature. If anyone has advice or counsel, I would greatly appreciate it. Do you think there's any way I can use the Ebay computer successfully? Is there perhaps some way to "reset" the computer and/or somehow bypass the SKIM feature?
Old 23 Nov 2013, 02:37 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: SKIM problem w/ changing the PCM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paperback View Post
Folks, originally, our '01 PT started cutting out while driving, and we got code PO 601, PCM malfunction. So I bought a used PCM from Ebay for $110. When I unplugged the original PCM, I found oil in the fender-side plug. After getting insight from this forum, we changed the oil pressure sending unit, and I believe the oil problem is now fixed. (I do believe the oil getting into the plug was the cause of the PCM malfunction.) So last night I plugged the Ebay computer in. It fired and died 4 times, and then nothing, and a new code: PO1685. So I guess the Ebay computer is unhappy because the "wrong key" for that computer is being used. I put the original PCM back in so we can drive the car (we can get around but as I say, it is cutting out consistently). I called the local Chrysler dealer this morning and they said they have had no success in reprogramming PCMs that have the SKIM feature. If anyone has advice or counsel, I would greatly appreciate it. Do you think there's any way I can use the Ebay computer successfully? Is there perhaps some way to "reset" the computer and/or somehow bypass the SKIM feature?
You would need the key for that computer and of course the cylinder for that key. Been better to bought a refurb programmed to your pt.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 23 Nov 2013, 05:23 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Post Re: SKIM problem w/ changing the PCM

Quote:
So I bought a used PCM from Ebay for $110.
Most legit & helpful sellers of PCMs on Ebay will ask several questions,before they will take your order for a replacement PCM,the least of which is Vin#.....But,they normally can't input info for SKIM,or RKE(remote codes).
Quote:
Do you think there's any way I can use the Ebay computer successfully? Is there perhaps some way to "reset" the computer and/or somehow bypass the SKIM feature?
The good news is 'Yes'.....The bad news is,your PCM needs to be 'flashed',this requires the use of a DRB-III scantool,which all Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep/Plymouth dealers have,but very few other shops have(some may!).....Normal price in my area is $70 to 'flash' a PCM(I have heard some dealers don't want 'flash' a PCM that's not purchased from them,trying to cut out the competition);The only other way requires a laptop loaded with certain software,that I have really only heard one member mention recently(392SRT8),he may see this post and offer some suggestion,or you might consider sending him a PM.
It's too late now,but if you had disconnected the SKIM module(located in the steering column),before connecting the new PCM,it probably would have started the car;But once a PCM has been connected,and detects the SKIM module,it stores that information permanently in the memory(unless 'flashed'),by NOT detecting a SKIM,it would have accepted any key,including an 'un-chipped' key.

Last edited by randyincctx; 23 Nov 2013 at 05:28 pm.
Old 23 Nov 2013, 06:44 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

My 2001 PT has the P601 code too. But it runs fine.

I've been taking my time selecting a replacement PCM to get rid of the check engine light and hopefully any issues I haven't detected.. Here's the one I'm seriously thinking of buying. These folks seem to know their stuff. The price is good too:

2001 2002 Chrysler PT Cruiser Engine Computer ECM PCM ECU Replacement | eBay

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 23 Nov 2013 at 06:46 pm.
Old 23 Nov 2013, 10:54 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Folks, thank you for those helpful comments. Randy, let me make sure I understand. So the Ebay computer is now useless, unless it is flashed--correct? Incidentally, Is "flashing" different from "reprogramming"?
Old 24 Nov 2013, 02:42 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Lightbulb Re: SKIM problem w/ changing the PCM

Quote:
Randy, let me make sure I understand. So the Ebay computer is now useless, unless it is flashed--correct? Incidentally, Is "flashing" different from "reprogramming"?
The PCM isn't 'useless',but it is as far as getting your PT to run & drive,at least until it's flashed(which is the term used for re-programming).......Worst case scenario,you'll need to push/pull,or drag it(since you can't drive it) to the nearest dealer that has a DRB-III scantool(see/ask if they can come to you.Some may!);But,you might check around(depending on your locale?),and see if there are any locksmiths(this may be the best idea,because most 'good' ones will come to you,which saves a towing fee;Although they may charge for a 'service call',but definately wouldn't be as much as a tow truck),or check independent auto shops,that may have the neccessary tool(or program) to go into the PCM,and do what's needed,and definately ask for estimates upfront;Just make sure that when you do get it done....Have ALL keys,and ALL remotes with you,so they can be programmed at the same time(to save any extra/future charges or headaches).
Best advice is this;Call around to the some places I've mentioned above,and explain 'in detail' your issue,and what service your in need of.
Man,I really had better news than all of this......But,I'm really trying to give you the best advice possible,to help get you & your PT Cruiser OTR/ASAP.
Old 24 Nov 2013, 02:58 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by randyincctx View Post
The PCM isn't 'useless',but it is as far as getting your PT to run & drive,at least until it's flashed(which is the term used for re-programming).......Worst case scenario,you'll need to push/pull,or drag it(since you can't drive it) to the nearest dealer that has a DRB-III scantool(see/ask if they can come to you.Some may!);But,you might check around(depending on your locale?),and see if there are any locksmiths(this may be the best idea,because most 'good' ones will come to you,which saves a towing fee;Although they may charge for a 'service call',but definately wouldn't be as much as a tow truck),or check independent auto shops,that may have the neccessary tool(or program) to go into the PCM,and do what's needed,and definately ask for estimates upfront;Just make sure that when you do get it done....Have ALL keys,and ALL remotes with you,so they can be programmed at the same time(to save any extra/future charges or headaches).
Best advice is this;Call around to the some places I've mentioned above,and explain 'in detail' your issue,and what service your in need of.
Man,I really had better news than all of this......But,I'm really trying to give you the best advice possible,to help get you & your PT Cruiser OTR/ASAP.
Dealers in general will not program a used pcm. Especially one from a different pt. If you get one to do it. It, with a tow is still cost prohibitive. Cheaper to buy a plug and play remanufactured PCM. Stay away from used ones. These are only good for a core. So not worth much money in my opinion.
randyincctx likes this.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.

badglas.blogspot.com
Old 24 Nov 2013, 03:09 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Lightbulb Re: SKIM problem w/ changing the PCM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busted_PT View Post
Dealers in general will not program a used pcm. Especially one from a different pt.;
Yeah,I told him that 'bad news' in my other post.....They're probably even more so,if they know you got it off Ebay;I've even heard about the ones that won't even program ANY remotes purchased on Ebay.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Busted_PT View Post
Cheaper to buy a plug and play remanufactured PCM.
Only,make sure to disconnect the SKIM module FIRST,and it should work to start & run the car.
Old 24 Nov 2013, 03:20 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by randyincctx View Post
Yeah,I told him that 'bad news' in my other post.....They're probably even more so,if they know you got it off Ebay;I've even heard about the ones that won't even program ANY remotes purchased on Ebay.
Only,make sure to disconnect the SKIM module FIRST,and it should work to start & run the car.
The remanufactured pcm needs no special treatment Other than disconnect battery before installing. Will work with the key that came with the pt. You can't disconnect the skim and get it to run. That feature has to be disabled in the pcm. Unplugging it won't help.
randyincctx likes this.

This Is my project page.

badglas.blogspot.com
Old 24 Nov 2013, 03:27 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Wink Re: SKIM problem w/ changing the PCM

OK...Re-man PCM is 'clean',the main problem here is the PCM was 'used'....So it already had the SKIM code from a different PT stored,hence it doesn't recognize his SKIM,and by default the keys either.....I get it,now.