Advertisements
HID for PT cruiser

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25 Nov 2013, 10:56 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default HID for PT cruiser

Hi all
Want to replace low beams with HID lights- 2 questions come to mind
1. Room for standard ballast in behind headlight housing?

2. Chilton manual shows procedure for horizontal adjustment of lights however there most certainly will be necessity to adjust vertically. How is this done ?

Thanks in advance
Your friendly neighborhood Heckster
Old 26 Nov 2013, 12:10 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Re: HID for PT cruiser

Question 1 I can answer. I went through the fender wells and my boxes fit just fine.

FEBRUARY CRUISER OF THE MONTH
Old 26 Nov 2013, 02:06 am
Fresh Cruiser

You installed behind the door that is normal access to change the headlight bulbs? After conversion were headlights aimed correctly or were they high?
Old 26 Nov 2013, 04:32 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Mine were just like they were with the regular lights. My left light was always a little out. to istall them I had to remove the little metal rings that hold the regular bulbs in place then reinstall them to hold the Hid bulbs in place. There wasnt anything hard about it. I then just zip tied the boxes in place. Just to make sure they don't bang around. I had mine in over a year now.

FEBRUARY CRUISER OF THE MONTH
Old 26 Nov 2013, 08:20 pm
Cool Cruiser

I mounted my ballast (I've got slim digital ballast) inside the bumper support thingy. Had mine since march and all good with me.
I did aim them down a bit from the original position as they put out more light.
Also gonna do hids in the fog lights when I get the money.

The second question I have no clue.
Old 27 Nov 2013, 05:23 pm
Senior Cruiser

factory headlights only have vertical aim adjustment, at least that,s the way they are on my '01 and I doubt Chrysler added that in later years. There is a space where there would be a horizontal adjustment but there is no adjuster in there... they might be adjustable with the headlight assembly removed from the vehicle... not very practical! I have mine aimed a hair low plus the car is lowered so that cuts down alot on blinding oncoming traffic.

I have had DDM hid's in mine for several years now without any issues. I zip tied the ballasts to the inner fender structure and the bulbs were a direct swap.

2001 PT Cruiser 5-speed; 1976 Oldsmobile Cutlass S; 1990 Chevy 454SS; 1995 Caprice Classic woody
www.rcktpwrd.com
Old 27 Nov 2013, 10:13 pm
Banned

I have an '06 Touring Edition and about a year ago I had the headlights replaced since the front bumper skin was also being replaced. The replacement headlight assemblies (Eagle Eyes brand which I got off Amazon for a lot cheaper than OEM) have both a horizontal and vertical adjustment. However, I still have the original stock headlights and these also have both adjustments, see below pics. The horizontal (up/down) adjustment is able to be adjusted from the outside of the vehicle as it is at the lower, turn-signal side of the light. The vertical (left/right) adjustment is accessed from inside the wheel well access hole, however, there is a piece of sheet metal fender structure in the way. I discovered this as the replacement lights were adjusted way to the right. I had to pull the lights back out, take a 1/2" drill bit and notch the structure, then remount the lights. This notch allows for access to the vertical adjustment with a long flat blade screwdriver through the wheel well access hole. I don't understand why Chrysler ever blocked access to the vertical adjustment?

Last edited by rckstein; 27 Nov 2013 at 10:28 pm.