Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
UG~! Heater Vent Control Knob Issue 2008

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27 Nov 2013, 09:40 am
Regular Cruiser

Default UG~! Heater Vent Control Knob Issue 2008

So yesterday, its like 20 degrees, wind chill of -1 and wouldn't you know, I get a malfunctioning vent control knob.

For some odd reason, I can get the 3 furthest settings, (full clockwise.) but when I try to move the knob to full counter clockwise the knob simply springs back. It will not move or engage into the first 2 settings at all,

Where would I need to begin?
The control cable seems to be attacked but is sticking or flexing somehow?
Old 27 Nov 2013, 06:54 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: UG~! Heater Vent Control Knob Issue 2008

I can tell you that someone must have taken the center cover panel off of your PT at some time. I've gotten the cable from the control knob caught up before, actually several times, and you have to take the cover off again and pull it loose, make sure the cable and the vacuum lines are all okay.

To take it off you have two phillips screws in your vents. You turn your vents to where you see the cutout at the bottom - if you look in the vents with a flashlight you'll see the screws. I suggest you get you one of those small magnetic tip rods, that or rub your screwdriver on a magnet so that you can hold the screws. They can fall into the vents and cause a major issue.

Unscrew them, pull out the screws, then the rest of the center console snaps off. Pull up from the bottom first, then one side then the other then the top. It's a bit of a PITA, but not really all that difficult to do. Once you have it off, pull it away a few inches and look at your cables behind the control knobs. You'll see if you have a problem there. That's where it usually has an issue, normally just pinned up behind one of the knobs.
Old 27 Nov 2013, 07:08 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

The purple arrows indicate where the screws are in the vents:

The green squares show you where the clips snap in to hold that center console in place. Note, you don't have to disconnect all the wiring, just lean it forward and look towards the bottom behind the knobs:
Old 27 Jun 2014, 06:44 pm
Regular Cruiser

I finally gave in and opened this thing up,, I really dread messing with plastic dash parts and put this offer for ever.

So,, got it open, and sure enough the cable was kinked pretty bad. The hard part was actually bending it back.
That is some tough cable which has me wondering how it could have kinked that bad in the first place.

Once straightened it now actuates as smooth as silk.

I drew up a picture(forgot to photo). But this is no exaggeration as far as the amount it was bent.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg heatercable.JPG (13.3 KB, 48 views)