Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
check engine light

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30 Nov 2013, 06:49 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default check engine light

Check engine light came on about 5 days ago. I will occassionally blink a few times then stay steady on. Car has been running ok since. Code is P0302. I only comes on when I am idleing in park at the drive thru at the bank or the pharmacy when I go there direct from home ( less than 5 minutes away and engine is cold) This may happen every couple of months or so, I just undo the battery for a couple of minutes to reset the code. Should i be concerned? edscrz
Old 30 Nov 2013, 06:54 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: check engine light

You didn't say if you knew what the code means. It's a misfire on cylinder 2. Could be as simple as a small vacuum leak around that cylinder on the plastic upper manifold seam or where the rectangle rubber gaskets seal the upper and lower manifolds. If your having no problems, maybe it won't get any worse but I would think it would and eventually you will have a rough idle or stumble when driving.
Old 30 Nov 2013, 06:58 pm
Regular Cruiser

Thanks, I did know what the code is. The odd thing is this only happens when at the covered drive thru.
Old 30 Nov 2013, 06:59 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Don't think that has anything to do with it ....but you never know, stranger things have happened. Other things that you can check are the "O" rings on cylinder 2 injector and if possible, have the engine compression checked to see if there's any internal damage.
Old 30 Nov 2013, 07:06 pm
Regular Cruiser

I've had this happen off and on for about a year and a half. Car runs fine and usually idles ok. I don't think will worry about it. I was just wondering if something with the exahust when idleing in the confined area could be causing the problem.
Old 01 Dec 2013, 08:35 pm
Cool Cruiser

I was told that when the engine light blinks on and off then stays on that it was something that had to be fixed. Most of the time when the light stays on it is letting you know you have a problem .