Advertisements
P0601 after pump and belt install

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Handy_Cruiser

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03 Dec 2013, 12:16 pm
Young Cruiser

Default P0601 after pump and belt install

Hi everyone. The water pump went out on my 01 non-turbo last week (about 189K). My father and I tackled the problem over the weekend. The belt had been replaced last year so it was still good.** We got the pump on, and my dad installed the belt himself the next day. To make a long story short, the pulleys were off a smidge and had to be readjusted and are now finally correct. When I started the vehicle the first time (with the pulleys off) it sputtered a bit so I shut it off quickly. I noticed the the CEL was on. I hooked up the reader and it spit out a p0601. I erased the code and the light went off. After 2 quick test drives (with the pulleys fixed) it came back on. This time, I couldn't erase it. The light would blink but then stay on. I disconnected the battery, hooked it back up, and same thing. After 2 quick drives it is back on.

When we pulled it into the shop to start the pump replacement, the light was not on. The car wasn't started again until we thought it was all back together properly.

Does a p0601 always point to a bad pcm, or could there be something else going on here?

Thanks again everyone for all your help!

**It is funny to note that when I told my friends I was changing the timing belt none of them mentioned doing the pump as well. Of course AFTER I finished it, everyone said, "Did you replace the water pump too?"
Old 04 Aug 2014, 09:53 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: P0601 after pump and belt install

I also just got p0601,wont reset,96,000mi
did t-belt,pump last year...
Does any one know of any other causes other than the ecm out????
thanks in advance,Ron
Old 04 Aug 2014, 10:12 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Ron. From an older thread and one of the more knowledgeable persons who used to be on the forum:

P0601 is PCM internal fault. This is the PCM saying dont bother to do any diagnostic. I am bad and therefore need to be replaced. The part number you have is for a re-manufactured PCM hence the R in front of the number. If you are under 8 years and 80,000 miles you can get it replaced at the dealership under emissions warranty. If not then you will still have to deal with a dealership because the PCM will have to be programmed to the car. It will have to have the VIN and SKIM codes burn into it.
Old 04 Aug 2014, 12:04 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

A lot of the 2001 PT's end up with the P0601 code sooner or later. Chrysler's PCM supplier used a supplier for the Flash (EEPROM) within the PCM that had really poor quality control at one point in time. I can't remember the name of the supplier, but I do know that if you were lucky enough to get a PCM with a Texas Instruments EEPROM, then you likely will not get the P0601.

I bought my remanufactured PCM from Auto Computer Exchange. It was only a $143 with free shipping. And it comes with a lifetime warranty. I think the price is now $159 due to Obamacare.

When I bought it, I had to send these good folks the number off of my old PCM and the serial number from the PT. It's those last few digits of your serial number that are used to match your key to the SKIM system and that's all that's needed. Auto Computer Exchange programs that serial number into the PCM before they sent it. So when I got it, it was just plug and play. Everything worked perfectly.

I researched this heavily before I bought mine. And recommend buying from these folks.

Here's a 2001/2002 PCM from them on eBay for $159:

2001 2002 Chrysler PT Cruiser Engine Computer ECM PCM ECU Replacement | eBay

And you can read more about my experience here:

Great Folks at Auto Computer Exchange A+++
boonie2 likes this.