PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Question regarding bumpers

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03 Dec 2013, 08:16 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Question regarding bumpers

My sister has a 2002 PT Cruiser and her bumpers have a weird "discoloration" around the entire bumper about and inch (maybe 2") wide on the front and back bumpers. It goes around the entire bumper on the part where it is actually closest to the car (grille area in the front and hatch area in the rear). Does anyone know what this is? At first she thought something had been attached front and rear but looking at pictures on web most of the 2002s that we saw had this same discoloration (a lighter shade of gray than the bumpers). Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 03 Dec 2013, 08:34 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Re: Question regarding bumpers

https://www.google.com/#q=pt+cruiser+discolored+bumper
Looks like it is/was a very common problem. I think if I had that problem I would just get them painted to match the body color. Looks much better In my opion Good luck.

FEBRUARY CRUISER OF THE MONTH
Old 03 Dec 2013, 08:35 pm
Banned

Handy Dandy has the same issue, maybe he has a write up for it.

Just use plastidip and be done with it, imho

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawagz View Post
My sister has a 2002 PT Cruiser and her bumpers have a weird "discoloration" around the entire bumper about and inch (maybe 2") wide on the front and back bumpers. It goes around the entire bumper on the part where it is actually closest to the car (grille area in the front and hatch area in the rear). Does anyone know what this is? At first she thought something had been attached front and rear but looking at pictures on web most of the 2002s that we saw had this same discoloration (a lighter shade of gray than the bumpers). Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 03 Dec 2013, 08:38 pm
Veteran Cruiser

The discoloration marks the place where masking tape was used when painting the color portion of the bumper cover/ fascias. The heat of paint 'baking' affected the tape adhesive and causes the problem.
The inability of Chrysler to overcome this problem is one reason they began producing PT's with body colored bumper covers.

There are a variety of ways to deal with this phenomena, including repainting.

https://www.google.com/search?q=site...client=firefox
randyincctx likes this.
Old 03 Dec 2013, 08:47 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Lightbulb Re: Question regarding bumpers

Those were caused by masking tape from the factory;Apparently,the masking tape removed the UV inhibitors from the surface,eventually resulting in the discoloration/'tape marks' your referring to......Some owners who had them appear/or noticed them before their 'Bumper-to-Bumper'(no pun intended)warranty ran out,had them repaired by the dealer(free of charge/under warranty);But,most were left out in the cold!........There are 2 common fixes for that issue-#1) Paint the bumper to match the body color;or #2) Re-paint them using a bumper paint designed for plastic bumpers.......My bumpers on my 2003 PT have the same issue,and when I get to working on the exterior,I'm probably going to buy mine from Urethane Supply: Bumper and Cladding Color Coat Aerosol, Jeep Dark Gray Met | Aerosol Colors
That is the stock color for PT Cruisers,but for something different I myself am considering the Honda Black: Bumper and Cladding Color Coat Aerosol, Honda Black | Aerosol Colors
This site also has a testemonial from a PT owner who used their product to fix his bumper,and they also have a color chart with lots of colors,also.
Old 03 Dec 2013, 08:50 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

A sticky in the Exterior section....

Black Bumper Fix
randyincctx likes this.
Old 03 Dec 2013, 08:52 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Question Re: Question regarding bumpers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busa_Powered View Post
Just use plastidip and be done with it, imho
OK;I forgot there is a 3rd option,but I have heard that Plasti-Dip can start peeling off(not applied properly?IDK)....But,for a few dollars more,I'd get the bumper paint(reasonably priced @ $19.99),or paint to match body color(more costly?).
Old 03 Dec 2013, 09:29 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

The easiest/cheapest fix is rubbing with steel wool soaked with WD-40.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 03 Dec 2013, 09:43 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by randyincctx View Post
OK;I forgot there is a 3rd option,but I have heard that Plasti-Dip can start peeling off(not applied properly?IDK)....But,for a few dollars more,I'd get the bumper paint(reasonably priced @ $19.99),or paint to match body color(more costly?).
Plasti-dip will indeed peal no way to prevent that.
randyincctx likes this.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 03 Dec 2013, 09:52 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thank you all for your quick answers, now she won't go nuts trying to figure out if a previous owner had something attached to them! Not that she wasn't nuts to begin with! lol
rob342 likes this.