Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
ETC and ABS light are on.......

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04 Dec 2013, 01:22 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default ETC and ABS light are on.......

Hi all, I don't have a PT but my sister does and it has a problem. Hers is a 2002 and a while back she had, I think, two transmission solenoids replaced. When the trans shop put her car back in service the ETC and ABS lights were on but not the brake light and the brakes work fine (even passed a Texas State Inspection that way). Prior to the transmission repair she had not had any problems. The shop said it might be ABS solenoids but wasn't sure and she didn't have enough money at the time to have them explore. Any ideas?
Old 04 Dec 2013, 02:09 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: ETC and ABS light are on.......

Don't know what an etc light is...
ABS is probably a wheel sensor - a good shop will be able to tell at which wheel.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 04 Dec 2013, 02:31 pm
Fresh Cruiser

ETC is Electronic Traction Control
Old 04 Dec 2013, 06:28 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawagz View Post
ETC is Electronic Traction Control
That comes up as TRAC - same sensors as for ABS.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Old 04 Dec 2013, 06:58 pm
Fresh Cruiser

If it is ABS solenoids, what is the cost to repair?
Old 05 Dec 2013, 11:04 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawagz View Post
If it is ABS solenoids, what is the cost to repair?
Don't know - sensor was around $100 (installed) - I'm sure solenoid is more.

Old 11 Dec 2013, 12:51 pm
Cool Cruiser

Our PT had it's first drive in the snow this last Sunday... parked it. Last night I took it out for a spin after work and when I was out on the highway I heard the dreaded Ding followed by TRAC and ABS lights on the dash.

After reading a multitude of threads here, I'm pretty sure it is one of the wheel sensors. Worst case scenario, it doesn't look like a tough job but I will have to figure out which one is shot before I go replacing them all.

I will be cleaning them all though because after reading in various threads about how the weather seems to affect the operation of the sensors, I'm betting that there may be just too much road grime, dirt or maybe even ice up there for them to operate properly.

I'm also fairly certain that the lights go on only after the number data begins to differentiate over a good amount of miles or time (makes sense). So after I clean them up, I plan to drive it for a while to hopefully get current, correct data back in to the computer which in effect should clear the code.

I doubt one of my sensors just went "bad"... seems like if that happened it would have popped up during the first outing in the weather. The fact that I was just tooling down a smooth highway and got the "Ding" seems more like the computer just finally decided to log in the new info, or finally decided to recognize the differentiation in the numbers.
05 PT GT Vert, Airbox mod, K&N filter, NeedsWings intake pipe, Mopar BOV, MSD wires, Autotecnica Chrome Spears, APC Taillights, Mopar Stage One, UltraGauge, Energy front suspension kit, Moog spherical bushings
Old 11 Dec 2013, 02:06 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanillaVert View Post
Our PT had it's first drive in the snow this last Sunday... parked it. Last night I took it out for a spin after work and when I was out on the highway I heard the dreaded Ding followed by TRAC and ABS lights on the dash.

After reading a multitude of threads here, I'm pretty sure it is one of the wheel sensors. Worst case scenario, it doesn't look like a tough job but I will have to figure out which one is shot before I go replacing them all.

I will be cleaning them all though because after reading in various threads about how the weather seems to affect the operation of the sensors, I'm betting that there may be just too much road grime, dirt or maybe even ice up there for them to operate properly.

I'm also fairly certain that the lights go on only after the number data begins to differentiate over a good amount of miles or time (makes sense). So after I clean them up, I plan to drive it for a while to hopefully get current, correct data back in to the computer which in effect should clear the code.

I doubt one of my sensors just went "bad"... seems like if that happened it would have popped up during the first outing in the weather. The fact that I was just tooling down a smooth highway and got the "Ding" seems more like the computer just finally decided to log in the new info, or finally decided to recognize the differentiation in the numbers.
Was there melted snow on the road? Before my ABS sensor died completely, I would get the ding and the lights when the road was wet, they'd go away when things dried up - eventually never came back...

Old 11 Dec 2013, 04:32 pm
Cool Cruiser

Yep, a mish-mash of melting/re-freezing mess. Wife says the lights are off and on during her commute this morning and this afternoon... maybe hitting it with the pressure washer got some of the gunk out of there last night?
05 PT GT Vert, Airbox mod, K&N filter, NeedsWings intake pipe, Mopar BOV, MSD wires, Autotecnica Chrome Spears, APC Taillights, Mopar Stage One, UltraGauge, Energy front suspension kit, Moog spherical bushings