Advertisements
Below Zero Temps and Unable to Start

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06 Dec 2013, 06:31 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Below Zero Temps and Unable to Start

Hi!

I need help with my 2006 Base PT Cruiser. It has been below zero for 3 days in a row. The first couple of days, my car had a hard time starting. Now on the 3rd day, it just clicks. I have tried to jump it but and the starter is turning over, however, it will not start. While trying to jump it, there was a smell of gas, but I have a 1/2 tank. I am thinking possibly a fuel pump?
I am trying to locate the fuel line and the fuel gauge test port to see if it is the fuel pump, but I can not find a picture online to where it is located and I cant find it looking under the hood myself. Also, would this be happening because its too cold and should I wait it out until it is above zero?
I am no mechanic by any means but would appreciate anyone's help/advice/anything. Once I took the jumper cables off the battery, it just clicks again when I try to start it. Thanks for reading and helping!
Old 06 Dec 2013, 06:36 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Below Zero Temps and Unable to Start

Buy some starting fluid and give a shot in the air intake.
Your battery is low if starter only clicks.
talexander likes this.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 06 Dec 2013, 06:59 pm
Senior Cruiser

New battery for sure, peace ( piece ? ) of mind will follow .
PS Nelson Mandela would have drove a PT , just sayin
talexander likes this.
'03 GT Blue/ autostick.. 160,000KM ( That's 100,000miles for y'all South of the border ) All the options, the heated leather is a must up here in Canada, Love the solid heavy duty feel and obvious Torque.. The Turbo is strong, fast and reliable.. People that don't understand the love of a PT, probably don't deserve to.
Old 06 Dec 2013, 07:03 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by talexander View Post
Hi!......

I am trying to locate the fuel line and the fuel gauge test port to see if it is the fuel pump, but I can not find a picture online to where it is located and I cant find it looking under the hood myself. Also, would this be happening because its too cold and should I wait it out until it is above zero?
I am no mechanic by any means but would appreciate anyone's help/advice/anything. Once I took the jumper cables off the battery, it just clicks again when I try to start it. Thanks for reading and helping!
Here's the schrader valve on the fuel rail under the black cap. But you need to try a fully charged battery first.

Old 06 Dec 2013, 07:08 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Lightbulb Re: Below Zero Temps and Unable to Start

Quote:
I am thinking possibly a fuel pump?
I am trying to locate the fuel line and the fuel gauge test port to see if it is the fuel pump, but I can not find a picture online to where it is located and I cant find it looking under the hood myself.!
The test port/Schrader valve for checking fuel pressure is located on the left end of the fuel rail.(Covered by black plastic cap in photo)

PT_NA_fuel_rail_schrader_valve.jpg

Quote:
Once I took the jumper cables off the battery, it just clicks again when I try to start it. Thanks for reading and helping!
That could mean you still have a battery problem,in addition to fuel....Check the date on the battery,and have it load tesed to be sure of the CCA(cold cranking amps).
talexander likes this.
Old 06 Dec 2013, 07:09 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Wink Re: Below Zero Temps and Unable to Start

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handy_Cruiser View Post
Here's the schrader valve on the fuel rail under the black cap.
Beat me by 5mins,while I was searching for the photo!lol
Old 06 Dec 2013, 07:10 pm
Banned

Quote:
Hi!

I need help with my 2006 Base PT Cruiser. It has been below zero for 3 days in a row. The first couple of days, my car had a hard time starting. Now on the 3rd day, it just clicks. I have tried to jump it but and the starter is turning over, however, it will not start. While trying to jump it, there was a smell of gas, but I have a 1/2 tank. I am thinking possibly a fuel pump?
I am trying to locate the fuel line and the fuel gauge test port to see if it is the fuel pump, but I can not find a picture online to where it is located and I cant find it looking under the hood myself.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Handy_Cruiser View Post
Here's the schrader valve on the fuel rail under the black cap. But you need to try a fully charged battery first.

Handy and Randy, the last of the schrader valves were on the NA 2004 PTs. No PT after that time came OEM with a schrader valve. His is a 2006, so no schrader valve.

Jerry
rob342 and talexander like this.

Last edited by wwpptc; 06 Dec 2013 at 07:54 pm.
Old 06 Dec 2013, 07:13 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwpptc View Post
Handy, the last of the schrader valves were on the NA 2004 PTs. No PT after that time came OEM with a schrader valve. His is a 2006, so no schrader valve.

Jerry
No schrader valve after 2004? What's the world coming to!
talexander likes this.
Old 06 Dec 2013, 07:40 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksilverdon View Post
Buy some starting fluid and give a shot in the air intake.
Your battery is low if starter only clicks.
Thanks for your help, I tried that out but no go. I will be getting a battery tomorrow and try that. Thanks again!
Old 06 Dec 2013, 07:42 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwpptc View Post
Handy, the last of the schrader valves were on the NA 2004 PTs. No PT after that time came OEM with a schrader valve. His is a 2006, so no schrader valve.

Jerry
Awesome thanks so much! Found it, thanks again!

Tags
clicking noise, not starting