PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Water Damage?

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11 Dec 2013, 03:14 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Water Damage?

Saturday morning at about 7 am I had a wreck, due to icey roads in the area.
Theres water inside my car below the seats, and it comes to about the bumper, midway to top of it on the outside, I was wondering the chances of the car still running after I got it out, I couldnt get it out til I picked up my check tomorrow, which is the only reason for it still being there, and its in a 10 ft ditch so cant borrow a truck and rope. need a wrecker. What do you guys think?
Old 11 Dec 2013, 03:51 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Re: Water Damage?

If it is fresh water you have a pretty good chance of saving it. Make sure you check and/or change fluids. Let it dry out relly good before you try to start it. Good luck.

FEBRUARY CRUISER OF THE MONTH
Old 11 Dec 2013, 04:16 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by needmoretoys View Post
If it is fresh water you have a pretty good chance of saving it. Make sure you check and/or change fluids. Let it dry out relly good before you try to start it. Good luck.
It was just rain water. Thank you a bunch
Old 11 Dec 2013, 04:38 am
Fanatic Cruiser

You will need to remove all the carpeting and padding underneath. Otherwise, rust and mold will occur...you may be able to clean and save the carpet but the padding is ruined. There are some electrical connectors under the carpet and in the kick panels that need to be inspected and cleaned otherwise they will be a source of future electrical gremlins.
Old 11 Dec 2013, 08:48 am
Obsessed Cruiser

I had this happen several times. Once, I drove off nose first into a flash flood in a 1981 Pontiac and slid off onto a steep embankment. The right side of the car flooded to the center console. The water stopped just before it got my brand new high-dollar Pioneer KE5100 "digital tuner" stereo. A cassette of .38 Special's "Special Forces" album was playing at the time.

And on several occasions, much more recently, I left the top down on my Sebring convertible during several days of heavy rain. The first time, it flooded to the door seals. But afterwards, I drilled 1/2-inch drain holes in the floor board on both sides the "hillbilly" way. Then the rain just left the seats and carpet wet.

During all these occurrences, I just pulled the seats and carpet and vacuumed the water out of them good with a carwash or shop vac. Then I let them dry and put them back in. I didn't replace anything and I never had issues with rust, mold or gremlins accept for the AMC Gremlin my friend used to drive. He should have driven that car off into a lake and left it.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 11 Dec 2013 at 08:51 am.
Old 11 Dec 2013, 08:58 am
Veteran Cruiser

Lightbulb Re: Water Damage?

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrubz23 View Post
What do you guys think?
When you start the 'rehab' process,be sure to use this site,and feel free to ask questions,there are many members on here ready & willing to help........And my philosophy is: "There are no dumb questions,except the ones you don't ask,before 'screwing' something up!"
Old 11 Dec 2013, 09:02 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl48 View Post
You will need to remove all the carpeting and padding underneath. Otherwise, rust and mold will occur...you may be able to clean and save the carpet but the padding is ruined. There are some electrical connectors under the carpet and in the kick panels that need to be inspected and cleaned otherwise they will be a source of future electrical gremlins.
Actually you can save it. But you will need to either hang the whole thing to dry or use a dehumidifier in a small room or inside the car with the carpets propped up car closed up. This will suck out the water. Also any drive train parts tranny,motor that were in the water will need to be flushed out and new fluids done. Electricals cleaned and blow out any water and spray with silicon spray to displace any moisture. Of course unhook battery as soon as you get a chance. and do not try to turn on anything before you do all the electricals stuff first. Don't run until all that is been gone over.
randyincctx likes this.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 11 Dec 2013, 09:08 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handy_Cruiser View Post
I had this happen several times. Once, I drove off nose first into a flash flood in a 1981 Pontiac and slid off onto a steep embankment. The right side of the car flooded to the center console. The water stopped just before it got my brand new high-dollar Pioneer KE5100 "digital tuner" stereo. A cassette of .38 Special's "Special Forces" album was playing at the time.

And on several occasions, much more recently, I left the top down on my Sebring convertible during several days of heavy rain. The first time, it flooded to the door seals. But afterwards, I drilled 1/2-inch drain holes in the floor board on both sides the "hillbilly" way. Then the rain just left the seats and carpet wet.

During all these occurrences, I just pulled the seats and carpet and vacuumed the water out of them good with a carwash or shop vac. Then I let them dry and put them back in. I didn't replace anything and I never had issues with rust, mold or gremlins accept for the AMC Gremlin my friend used to drive. He should have driven that car off into a lake and left it.
Hey, that was my first project and car. Aside from the rust when I got it was a good car. As long as traction was not important factor.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.

badglas.blogspot.com
Old 11 Dec 2013, 09:40 am
Banned

Exclamation Re: Water Damage?

Hi welcome to the forum

Tell us some things about your pt, perhaps it's year, color, options etc.

Maybe a picture would be nice.

Have you made any modifications to your pt?

Have you joined any local enthusiast's clubs? If not I understand, they tend to be filled with gray heads which smell of old spice.

Anyway, welcome

Hopefully you will stay and be a contributing member and not just leave and never come back when your questions are answered, that's not cool man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrubz23 View Post
Saturday morning at about 7 am I had a wreck, due to icey roads in the area.
Theres water inside my car below the seats, and it comes to about the bumper, midway to top of it on the outside, I was wondering the chances of the car still running after I got it out, I couldnt get it out til I picked up my check tomorrow, which is the only reason for it still being there, and its in a 10 ft ditch so cant borrow a truck and rope. need a wrecker. What do you guys think?
Old 11 Dec 2013, 10:35 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busa_Powered View Post
Hi welcome to the forum

Tell us some things about your pt, perhaps it's year, color, options etc.

Maybe a picture would be nice.

Have you made any modifications to your pt?

Have you joined any local enthusiast's clubs? If not I understand, they tend to be filled with gray heads which smell of old spice.

Anyway, welcome

Hopefully you will stay and be a contributing member and not just leave and never come back when your questions are answered, that's not cool man.
Here I thought you were coming around and was going to give you a like. And then the meds ran out!.

Not to worry folks. Not all so called gray heads wear Old spice. My father did and my young son does. But I wear s.e.x clongne. And yes Busa we still do that to! HE HE HE. Bet you need so more meds thinking about that.

This Is my project page.

badglas.blogspot.com