Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Overhead light problems

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11 Dec 2013, 04:54 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Overhead light problems

I can't really find out what I'm looking for easily because I'm not good with terminology, but my problem is while driving with my headlights on my overhead lights will come on randomly. They won't go off unless I turn my lights off and then turn the switch for brightness down on the dash light/overhead light. Then I turn it back on and it's fine. Only at night or when my lights are on. It's not all the time, but it freaks me out because i feel like Its something serious. If anyone can shed some light on it it would be amazing! Thanks! It's a 2001 if that helps at all.
Old 11 Dec 2013, 05:54 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Overhead light problems

The switch for brightness on the dials in the dashboard is the twist ring on the Multi-function stalk. It also turns the overhead light on and off when fully turned. Doesn't that turn off the overhead light when your driving at night without turning off the headlights? If not, you may have a short in the MFS stalk itself.
Old 11 Dec 2013, 07:51 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: Overhead light problems

It does turn the light off but when I turn it back up it's still on until I turn the headlights and the overhead off. Thanks you for your feedback!!!
Old 11 Dec 2013, 08:39 am
Veteran Cruiser

Lightbulb Re: Overhead light problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beautybreaker View Post
It does turn the light off but when I turn it back up it's still on until I turn the headlights and the overhead off. Thanks you for your feedback!!!
If you turn the 'twist-ring'(rheostat) all the way clockwise(dome light position),it turns on all the interior lighting,so you can see inside the car at night.....Backing it off 1 notch counterclockwise,will set the gauge & dash lights to 'brightest' setting;If you continue to turn the dial 'counterclockwise',the dash lighting will get subsequently dimmer,until the last notch,which turns ALL interior lighting 'off'(gauge,dash,and dome/interior).
When using any other setting other than 'dome' setting,the interior lights will only come on when a door is open(loading/unloading car).
If the switch does anything other than these functions I have listed,more than likely your multi-function switch is faulty,and needs to be replaced,or repaired.
There is also a small chance that there could be a loose ground wire,more than likely located somewhere in the steering column,or dash area.

The following threads mostly cover headlight & fog light issues with the MFS,but are very useful in understanding the inner workings of the MFS:
How to Repair the Multifunction Switch w/ Pictures (Fog Lights)

MF switched repair

The "Handy" Aluminum Can Mod To Fix Fog Lights.

Tags
2001, driving, interior, lights