Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Radiator fluid leaking after car was warmed up

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12 Dec 2013, 10:11 am
Fresh Cruiser

Unhappy Radiator fluid leaking after car was warmed up

Not exactly sure what is wrong with my car but I thought checking here may be a good idea. I have a 2001 PT Limited Edition and I started my car this morning and let it warm up for 25 minutes while I got ready for work. The temperature this morning was 3 degree Fahrenheit so I thought it best to warm it up for a while.

When I went out to leave I noticed radiator fluid dripping from the passenger side underneath the front of the car and was forming a small pool. I checked the overflow? reservoir and it was empty. Once I shut off the car and let it sit for a while the drip stopped. The temperature when I got in the car was not over heated and below the middle.

Does anyone have an idea if this could simply be a radiator leak or something more serious. I didn't drive the car for fear that I may ruin the engine.

The engine and radiator were replaced last year. I know the engine that was use was a used one but am unsure if the radiator was. Bought the car from a bad source last year so I can't really trust what they told me about parts. I am stuck with it though till my payments are up.
Old 12 Dec 2013, 10:19 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Radiator fluid leaking after car was warmed up

Sounds like you need to have someone experienced check over everything to find out where the leak is. They can start off with a coolant pressure check and that will show any leaks. The plastic neck/connection under the radiator cap is a known source for wear and tear and coolant leaks. That would be the side you were seeing the leak from. At that temperature, hopefully your coolant was tested so it didn't freeze up before the winter hit. When water/coolant freezes, it expands and can do nasty things to your engine.

Welcome to the forum.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 12 Dec 2013, 10:26 am
Fresh Cruiser

Smile Re: Radiator fluid leaking after car was warmed up

Thanks for the info. I will have them take a look when I find someone to fix it. I can't say that I had the radiator fluid checked before winter. I honestly did not know that was something I needed to do each year. At my last oil change the levels were fine last month.
Old 12 Dec 2013, 10:32 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynthia0477 View Post
Thanks for the info. I will have them take a look when I find someone to fix it. I can't say that I had the radiator fluid checked before winter. I honestly did not know that was something I needed to do each year. At my last oil change the levels were fine last month.
No, I wasn't talking about the levels. The coolant/anti-freeze itself has to be mixed at the right level to obtain a low freezing point. The coolant is mixed with water and usually it's a 50/50 mixture that gives the best protection against freezing.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 12 Dec 2013, 11:03 am
Fresh Cruiser

Ok I understand now. I use 50/50 for the car by Prestone. Which I believe is ok since it was what my uncle told me to purchase.
Old 12 Dec 2013, 11:58 am
Fresh Cruiser

Please do the following before you start the car again (before taking it to the mechanic):
Wait for the car to cool completely.
Open the "Radiator Cap" which is on top of the neck/connection that crewzin mentioned and check/top off coolant there
Then add coolant to the overflow bottle to about the mid point

Please remember that anytime the overflow is empty, you should check and top off at the radiator cap as well.

-Copernicus
Old 12 Dec 2013, 01:11 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for the advice. It will be ice cold when I get home from work. I don't want to drive it with it leaking and chance it over heating and blowing the engine.
Old 12 Dec 2013, 07:04 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thank you everyone for your ideas. It ended up being the radiator and the thermostat. Not as bad as what I was picturing in my head.
Old 12 Dec 2013, 07:06 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Even though you had the radiator replaced last year? Did it come with any kind of warranty?