DEFEAT auto door lock

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By kctobyjoe

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14 Dec 2013, 10:12 am
Regular Cruiser

Exclamation DEFEAT auto door lock

NO I AM NOT LAZY TO LOOK...
Is there a SIMPLE way/sequence to defeat this automatic door lock? 0 degrees; start car; close door; doors lock; if I didn't have a 2nd key I'd still be out there trying to get it open ;-(

HELP PLEASE

NO FLAMES

kctobyjoe
Handy_Cruiser likes this.
Old 14 Dec 2013, 10:24 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: DEFEAT auto door lock

Do you have an owners manual? There's a paragraph on enabling and disabling the automatic door locks.

If you don't have the manual, here's a free download....

FREE Owners Manual Download

P.S. I'm the lazy one now and don't feel like typing all the instructions for the locks but it's always a good idea to have an owners manual.
Old 14 Dec 2013, 10:40 am
Senior Cruiser

I have had my locks activate by themselves when my battery was low. Sometimes it would happen with the car parked in the garage when it wasn't even running. The locks would also unlock and then lock again rapidly at times. I had a lot of experience with it because I had an undersized race battery and the ignition off draw could pull the battery down if my Cruiser sat for 5 or 6 days. The low battery issues seem to have a little different effect with each car. This cold weather is probably stressing the battery more than usual.

Nobody wants to be locked out of the car with the key inside. I don't have a manual handy to research if there is a way to program the locks to never activate automatically. There are a couple of ways they can be set. But maybe the better answer is to cure the cause, the battery power and not just treat the symptoms, the door locks.
Old 14 Dec 2013, 10:51 am
Regular Cruiser

I'm the lazy one now and don't feel like typing all the instructions for the locks but it's always a good idea to have an owners manual.

I DO have the original manual and the aftermarket book from HAYNES; I will investigate later today watching the 8" of snow fall here in the North East

Damn rear hatch key slot doesn't work either; I assume COLD WEATHER has gotten the better of it for now; key goes in; NO movement.
I guess there is NO 'hatch release' thing a ma jig on this 2006 is there?

kctobyjoe
Old 14 Dec 2013, 11:08 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Not familiar with the new generation but they (Chrysler/Fiat) did away with the key slot for a money saving feature in the first generation so wouldn't be surprised if a lot of things are missing in the Gen II.
Old 14 Dec 2013, 12:05 pm
Regular Cruiser

But maybe the better answer is to cure the cause, the battery power and not just treat the symptoms, the door locks

battery is fine; it is an annoying CHRYSLER <ahem> security feature

The car was RUNNING/warming; I closed the doors; after x seconds; cha-chunk; locked doors

NO second key; AAA or your wits...luckily I have key #2 and will have 3 & 4 soon enough...

kc
Old 14 Dec 2013, 12:18 pm
Cool Cruiser

I'm surprised your doors locked. My 01 will not lock with the key in the ignition.

Even when I had my 98 Durango (older tech) it was the same way.

Many, if not all, manufacturers done away with the trunk/hatch lock tumbler, as well as the passenger door. With the popularity if the key fob, it was "determined" not needed.
It also made the stylist more happy, being they did not have to figure out how to make the key "fit" the looks of the rear of the vehicle.

A cost save ( more profit maker) for all....except for us.

Think about it, now many times have you actually used your keys to unlock the doors (if you have a fob).
Red tint tails, chrome trimmed grille, custom towel rack buttonless flamed shifter, auto dimming rear view, Homelink remote transmitter, driver seat drawer, MOPAR sub, lowered 1" rear, MOPAR/Borla dual tipped exhaust, chrome trimmed GT gauge/airbag surround, front 35% tint, and the ever so important Fuzzy Dice
Old 14 Dec 2013, 03:01 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by kctobyjoe View Post
But maybe the better answer is to cure the cause, the battery power and not just treat the symptoms, the door locks

battery is fine; it is an annoying CHRYSLER <ahem> security feature

The car was RUNNING/warming; I closed the doors; after x seconds; cha-chunk; locked doors

NO second key; AAA or your wits...luckily I have key #2 and will have 3 & 4 soon enough...
It might not be the battery. I'm saying it may be a power to the PCM/BCM problem. So that includes the alternator and any possible power hairballs or drains in between. It's definitely not a "Chrysler security feature" to lock you out of the car with the key in it. something is triggering the locks. If it's not one of my suggestions then more trouble shooting is needed. Reprograming the auto locks may be a band aide, work around but if there is an underlying problem something more may be needed.

Sometimes electronic glitches get in the system, maybe caused by static for example. Disconnecting the battery and activating something such as the brake lights for a minute or two to completely drain all the reserve power can often clear out unwanted gremlins. It's similar to rebooting a computer. It costs nothing to try except losing your clock and radio programming.