Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
I hit something in the road :(

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14 Dec 2013, 11:16 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default I hit something in the road :(

I was going down the Interstate @ 70mph when I hit a piece of steel in the middle of the highway. It appeared to be about 3 ft long and 4-5 inches tall. I hit it all on the drivers side only. It took out two tires and wheels (taco'd two stock rims on my '06) It was pulling hard to the right by the time I pulled over. I changed the front tire (which went flat, back did not go flat) and tried limping home on the donut. Things were ok until I had to turn and it started making bad grinding noises, straighten out and noise goes away.
I am thinking this took out my half shaft / transaxel but have not crawled under yet this morning. What are some things I should be looking for? The hit was so hard that it cracked my windshield that had some pits in it and I hit my head on the ceiling.
Old 14 Dec 2013, 11:19 am
Banned

Exclamation Re: I hit something in the road :(

File it on your insurance and dont worry about it.
Thats why you have full coverage right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptgreg View Post
I was going down the Interstate @ 70mph when I hit a piece of steel in the middle of the highway. It appeared to be about 3 ft long and 4-5 inches tall. I hit it all on the drivers side only. It took out two tires and wheels (taco'd two stock rims on my '06) It was pulling hard to the right by the time I pulled over. I changed the front tire (which went flat, back did not go flat) and tried limping home on the donut. Things were ok until I had to turn and it started making bad grinding noises, straighten out and noise goes away.
I am thinking this took out my half shaft / transaxel but have not crawled under yet this morning. What are some things I should be looking for? The hit was so hard that it cracked my windshield that had some pits in it and I hit my head on the ceiling.
Old 14 Dec 2013, 11:24 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: I hit something in the road :(

I worry about everything with my cruiser LOL. I have filed with Insurance but they cannot get it towed until Monday. I'm just impatient and want to know now.
Old 14 Dec 2013, 11:26 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Look for tire rub and see what looks like it might be bent. Tie rod, ball joint, lower control arm, and even the hub knuckle the the tie rod connects too. Pick of the damages including windshield would help.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 14 Dec 2013, 03:11 pm
Senior Cruiser

It could be a lot of things and you may not find them all with the first visual inspection. I feel your pain. I once hit a truck tire thread about the size of an alligator in the fetal position. I had a damaged bumper fascia, wiped out fog light and a "repositioned" intercooler that turned out okay. I also had a braided fuel return line that was hanging down because the zip ties were history. It could have been really bad for either of us. I'm glad you're okay.
Old 14 Dec 2013, 06:04 pm
Banned

Ha!

http://tinyurl.com/mtgmsjc

[/QUOTE=2step;502790] I feel your pain.[/QUOTE]

Last edited by Busa_Powered; 14 Dec 2013 at 06:09 pm.
Old 15 Dec 2013, 12:21 am
Veteran Cruiser

Wink Re: I hit something in the road :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2step View Post
I once hit a truck tire thread about the size of an alligator in the fetal position.
That's actually what they're referred to as 'Road Gators' by truckers! Urban Dictionary: road gator
Old 16 Dec 2013, 11:47 pm
Fresh Cruiser

got word from the shop today, 2 rims, 2 tires, bent lower control arm, shattered wheel bearing and windshield. That's what they need to be able to drive it to see how the gearbox is. Hopefully that is all since they are at $2800 and I don't want this thing totaled. Chrysler wants 800+ for each rim. I just put a timing belt in it
Just waiting for the insurance adjuster to approve the repairs so far.
Old 17 Dec 2013, 01:40 am
Banned

Lightbulb Re: I hit something in the road :(

Hopefully your gt is paid for.

They do their estimate and write you a check you can do with it whatever you want.

If it's not paid for you might have to negotiate more with them, then they will make a check out to you and the bodyshop.
Old 17 Dec 2013, 06:32 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptgreg View Post
got word from the shop today, 2 rims, 2 tires, bent lower control arm, shattered wheel bearing and windshield. That's what they need to be able to drive it to see how the gearbox is. Hopefully that is all since they are at $2800 and I don't want this thing totaled. Chrysler wants 800+ for each rim. I just put a timing belt in it
Just waiting for the insurance adjuster to approve the repairs so far.
I'm sorry but this cant happen unless the axle was ripped clean out. Not to say it couldn't be damaged and fail some time in the future. But you couldn
t see or hear it for a while. There again the trany without any leaks from a crack and no axle damage mentioned is ok. Your hand probably flew into the windshield when you impacted. Tie rod still could be bent as well as the knuckle were the tie rod connects, with the wheels being distroyed.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com