PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Um, so I got in an Accident, I was wondering about repair costs...

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14 Dec 2013, 10:09 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Um, so I got in an Accident, I was wondering about repair costs...

So here is my story. Today my wife, 9 month old daughter, and myself set off to my in-laws for an early, 30+ people, family Christmas. Snow was so bad, 30 minutes later I'm off in a ditch. Everyone is ok, except for that stupid sign I demolished. You can see where I hit it in the pics. What I am wondering is how much would it cost to fix, and if it is left like this (because of lack of funds) should I expect problems further down the road?

Lastly, when the nice kind stranger in the truck pulled me out of the ditch, the stupid sign was snagged/trapped underneath the body. We had to jack the car up just to pull the sign out. I (nervously) drove it home and then downtown to a lube shop so they can look underneath and see if anything looks off. They said I was lucky because the only damage underneath was that the frame the radiator sits on was bent down and backwards, but my radiator was in one piece (no pics of this, sorry). My last question is this, how much would that cost to fix, and if it wasn't fixed, what problems should I expect?

And yes, the car drives normally, so its should be ok. No fluids were leaking either. I know this is a lengthy post, but I appeal to then fans of the PT Cruiser, because if anyone should know its repair costs, it should be you guys, right?

Thanks in advance,
Josh
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1509.jpg (92.2 KB, 65 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1510.jpg (91.2 KB, 57 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1512.jpg (94.9 KB, 49 views)
Old 14 Dec 2013, 11:12 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Lightbulb Re: Um, so I got in an Accident, I was wondering about repair costs...

It's really not too bad.....Mainly looks like the only parts damaged are: Front Fascia(bumper cover),Air Dam,and the Foam Bumper Insert/core.
If your using all new MFG parts,total is approximately $500+ (for parts ONLY!).
As far as paint & installation.....That depends on how much you plan to DIY,and what rates your local body shops charge.
Depending on how good you are at 'wrenching',and using 'used' parts from a local salvage yard,or even Ebay....You can save ALOT of $$$.
The best thing is if you could find the Front Fascia at a local salvage yard,and if your really lucky you might find one the same color(so NO painting!)
Here's a good site for finding out part names & part #'s:
Fascia, Front. Fits: 2008 CHRYSLER PT CRUISER 2.4L 4 Cyl DOHC 16V HO Turbo, 5-Speed HD Manual | FACTORY CHRYSLER PARTS
But,they are the VERY last place I'd even consider buying ANY parts from;Their prices on some things are OK,but when you get to the S/H part,it's outrageous!
Here's an example I found on Ebay($178-free s/h):
2006 2011 Chrysler PT Cruiser Front Bumper Cover Factory 3 | eBay
And here's the Foam Bumper Core for a 2002-2007,I think 2008 is the same fit as '07($69.99-free s/h): 2002 2007 PT Cruiser Front Bumper Cover Shock Impact Absorber Cushion Foam Pad | eBay
Anyway;you get the idea.
Old 15 Dec 2013, 02:13 am
Banned

Default Re: Um, so I got in an Accident, I was wondering about repair costs...

Just file it on your insurance
Old 15 Dec 2013, 10:45 am
Veteran Cruiser

Cool Re: Um, so I got in an Accident, I was wondering about repair costs...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busa_Powered View Post
Just file it on your insurance
Alot of drivers have $500,or $1,000 deductible on insurance policies.....Which doesn't make it worth it having an accident on your insurance record;If you have too many claims (your fault,or not) on file,they can consider you a 'high risk',and you end up having to pay more for your insurance.......Most of us already pay more (accidents,or not) simply because we're male drivers.(women pay less!....go figure?)
Busted_PT likes this.
Old 15 Dec 2013, 01:19 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by randyincctx View Post
Alot of drivers have $500,or $1,000 deductible on insurance policies.....Which doesn't make it worth it having an accident on your insurance record;If you have too many claims (your fault,or not) on file,they can consider you a 'high risk',and you end up having to pay more for your insurance.......Most of us already pay more (accidents,or not) simply because we're male drivers.(women pay less!....go figure?)
Well said. There was no other car on the road when the accident happened. It was a gradual turn to the left, before I could even get to the turn I put on my brakes to slow myself down. The back end went to the left, the car went 1 o'clock right into the sign (i think it was a powerslide). Looking back, I believe I pushed to hard on the brakes. So technically, its my fault.

It doesn't help that I was raised and lived in Michigan except for the past 5 years, which was spent in rainy/sunny Florida. I'm relearning how to drive in MI, but I've never driven on the backroads before. So it's a new experience for me....:/
Old 15 Dec 2013, 02:07 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

No need to go oem here. You can go aftermarket way cheaper with free shipping as well. You can even order pre painted. Compare to local painting.

Painted Front Bumper Cover Chrysler PT Cruiser 06 09 | eBay

New Bumper Absorber Front Chrysler PT Cruiser 2008 2007 CH1070122 5288790AB | eBay

Chrysler PT Cruiser 06 10 Front Bumper Cover New | eBay

New Air Dam Deflector Valance Front Primered PT Cruiser CH1092111 5116157AA | eBay

2001 2005 PT Cruiser Radiator Support Crossember Lower Tie Bar New Steel Primed | eBay

I would straighten this last peace.
Motorhead likes this.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 15 Dec 2013, 02:17 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Last month, my wife ran over the tread that came off of a big truck tire while going down the freeway. The damage to our 2012 Chrylser 300S included:

Damaged front facia
Damaged left fog light
Damaged fog light bezel
Black mark down left front fender
Black mark on OEM 20-inch left front rim.

With our Shelter insurance, our part was only $250. But the entire bill through the body shop at the Chrysler dealership where we bought the car new was only around $1350. That included a new OEM facia, new OEM fog light assembly and all painting and body work. Before we took it to them, I priced the parts online myself. It would have cost me half that much just to get the parts.

Your damage looks very similar to that on our 300S:

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 15 Dec 2013 at 02:22 pm.
Old 15 Dec 2013, 02:44 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Appears just cosmetic.
My son had a "beater" car that had a lower lip hang-down like your front end - I cut a length of threaded rod and pulled it up so it wouldn't bottom.
Just an idea...

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 31 Dec 2013, 10:02 am
Fresh Cruiser

So the car is a-ok, nothing bad with it except cosmetic. I was wondering (yet again), can I install the bumper and the foam underneath on my own, or does a professional car mechanic need to install it? It looks pretty straightforward if i do it myself....
Old 31 Dec 2013, 10:32 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeontestpilot View Post
So the car is a-ok, nothing bad with it except cosmetic. I was wondering (yet again), can I install the bumper and the foam underneath on my own, or does a professional car mechanic need to install it? It looks pretty straightforward if i do it myself....
I've done this on similar cars. And it's actually pretty easy to do. I believe there are a couple of bolts on the PT bumper cover that are kind of hard to get to. Other than than, it's straight forward and you can do it right in your driveway without getting very dirty..