Advertisements
REAR HATCH PROBLEMS

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16 Dec 2013, 10:54 am
Regular Cruiser

Angry REAR HATCH PROBLEMS

YES all caps; I am frustrated

When I got the car; the owner opened the rear hatch w/o a hitch and put the temp tag in the window

NOW the key goes in but DOES NOT MOVE ;-(

I looked in the glove box for a button as a release; nothing

Am I missing something here???

ALOS (may be unrelated) There is an odd black in color elliptically shaped panel on the driver visor with 3 buttons in it. One has an arrow on it... What is THAT for ???

kctobyjoe

Last edited by CREWZIN; 16 Dec 2013 at 11:55 am.
Old 16 Dec 2013, 11:39 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: RAER HACTH PROBLEMS

All caps and HATCH spelled wrong.

Does the hatch open if you hit the unlock button twice? Some cruisers (like mine) do. Either button on the drivers door or the remote, hit it twice for all doors including the hatch.

The black elliptically shaped panel on most cars is an option to open the garage door and turn on some house lights when properly configured. Shouldn't have anything to do with the hatch.
mityqwik likes this.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 16 Dec 2013, 11:47 am
Banned

Actually

1. all caps
2. raer = rear
3. hacth = hatch

Jerry
mityqwik likes this.
Old 16 Dec 2013, 11:55 am
Obsessed Cruiser

OK, missed that. I'll see if I can re-do the "hole" title.
mityqwik likes this.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 16 Dec 2013, 02:40 pm
Regular Cruiser

All caps and HATCH spelled wrong.
YES they are

Does the hatch open if you hit the unlock button twice? NO

Some cruisers (like mine) do. Either button on the drivers door or the remote, hit it twice for all doors including the hatch.

It appears there is a membrane switch inside the rear 'latch' behind the CHRYSLER logo; I had it open twice today; regardless the key inserted does NOT MOVE; is it supposed to or is it a signal to the switch to allow entry ?!?!?

This is ALL a learning curve to me; please NO FLAMES; I ask out of ignorance

The black elliptically shaped panel on most cars is an option to open the garage door and turn on some house lights when properly configured.

IC; center button has a picture or ICON of what appears to be a house

Shouldn't have anything to do with the hatch ...OK Unfamiliar

Sometimes I type like a DEMON incorrectly; please forgive me

kctobyjoe
Old 16 Dec 2013, 02:51 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: REAR HATCH PROBLEMS

Has it been awhile since you got the car where he opened it up with the key to place your temp tag on? If just a little while, how about taking it back and explaining the problem to him. The key (on mine) turns without any problem whatsoever, hardly any resistance at all so I guess the mechanism inside the lock has rusted or froze to the point of not working.

Old 16 Dec 2013, 05:10 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Are you in a cold weather area? Could the lock be frozen?
Hitting the door unlock button should free the hatch - if the pad doesn't work then you have an electrical problem.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 16 Dec 2013, 05:45 pm
Regular Cruiser

Has it been awhile since you got the car where he opened it up with the key to place your temp tag on?

YES; I had a 65 chevelle; 71 Torino; 68 ford wagon; 87 Buick leSabre; 92 Riviera. 97 Taurus. Temp tag/plate openings in all cars just like this one is accessible from outside and need not open a hatch or trunk door. Usually 2 - 5 predrilled holes for 1/4" screws

ALL them had a lock mechanism that turned; NONE had a hatch back tho. It APPEARS there is some type membrane switch inside the lip to open that hatch; but again the key goes in lock and DOES NOT MOVE

The key (on mine) turns without any problem whatsoever, hardly any resistance at all so I guess the mechanism inside the lock has rusted or froze to the point of not working
As good as a reason to blame.

When I get it inside my garage I will try and wiggle; spray WD-40; then maybe take the rear hatch inner molding off and look at the mechanism; lubricate where necessary...other doors are worry free.
Old 16 Dec 2013, 06:01 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Lightbulb Re: REAR HATCH PROBLEMS

If the key turns OK....It's probably working correctly,that's the good news;The bad news is...Even if your key is 'unlocking' the mechanism,your momentary switch is 'kaput'(or almost),and it probably needs,or will need to be replaced,because it is an electrical switch(and know to go bad),and is the only way to get the liftgate to open.
Here is an exellent thread to give you the idea,what I'm talking about,and at least 1 possible solution(the others being dealer,or used/salvage yard parts).
Liftgate touchpad replacement
Old 16 Dec 2013, 06:08 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Randy, you read that wrong. He was quoting what I said. HIS key goes IN but does not/will not move at all. It won't turn.