Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Picture of clutch fluid reservoir cap ?

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18 Dec 2013, 09:03 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Smile Picture of clutch fluid reservoir cap ?

Does somebody have a picture (or can take one and post it here) of their clutch fluid reservoir cap?

Mine has had a plastic "thingie" ( I believe is called a diaphragm), and I just had my clutch replaced, and now, I can swear that the diaphragm is bigger than the one it used to have, but I would like to confirm.

If you can take one and post it here I would really appreciate it, below is the picture of my diaphragm semi-inside of the reservoir tank.

2003 PT Cruiser Turbo - ~96,000 Miles
Bought it in March 2010 with 49K miles.
DIY Work: Put in a K&N Cold Air Intake Kit the year I bought it. Brakes, upper and lower engine mounts (struts) replaced. Knock sensor replaced. Camshaft position sensor replaced.
Mechanic work: Replaced the timing belt at 90K miles. Replaced the engine at 95K miles (stripped spark plug hole, even the heli coil stripped after a week).
Old 18 Dec 2013, 09:24 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Question Re: Picture of clutch fluid reservoir cap ?

Have you just been stalking the forum for the past 4+ years?lol......I think that may be illegal in California!j/k
Well,better late than never I say........Welcome to the forum!
BTW,my PT has an ATX so I can't help,other than posting a pic,but I will say that something doesn't look right in your photo?

CAP.jpg
Old 18 Dec 2013, 09:42 pm
Banned

Default Re: Picture of clutch fluid reservoir cap ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rasec8711 View Post
Does somebody have a picture (or can take one and post it here) of their clutch fluid reservoir cap?

Mine has had a plastic "thingie" ( I believe is called a diaphragm), and I just had my clutch replaced, and now, I can swear that the diaphragm is bigger than the one it used to have, but I would like to confirm.

If you can take one and post it here I would really appreciate it, below is the picture of my diaphragm semi-inside of the reservoir tank.

If that is indeed the original diaphram, you simply need to place two fingers on either side of it just below the top ring and push upward to pop it back into its original shape. Old style master cylinder diaphrams used to do this all time when the fluid got to low. We just popped them back up into their original shape.

That being said, the mechanic that replaced your clutch might have misplaced your original and used one off of something else, but I doubt it. On the bright side for you, you did get another problem thread posted into this site.

Jerry
Old 18 Dec 2013, 10:41 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Power Steering fluid will do this to brake parts.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 19 Dec 2013, 07:16 am
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busted_PT View Post
Power Steering fluid will do this to brake parts.

I had considered that as a possability but dismissed it when I noticed the LARGE formed protuberance that appears to be part of the bottom of the diaphram in the above posted line drawing. The part that looks like a prophylactic hanging down. It does take some imagination, but I can picture the top portion of the diaphram just popping back up into the cap like we did in the old days. This phenomenon may have occurred during the bleeding of the system as part of the clutch install process, as in they let the fluid get low enough to pull the diaphram down like our old master cylinders used to do.

Just flinging my stuff against the wall to see what sticks. Like I said above, this is just a possability and the op may indeed need a new diaphram.

Jerry

Last edited by wwpptc; 19 Dec 2013 at 07:32 am.
Old 19 Dec 2013, 07:19 am
Banned

double post

Jerry
Old 19 Dec 2013, 08:32 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwpptc View Post
I had considered that as a possability but dismissed it when I noticed the LARGE formed protuberance that appears to be part of the bottom of the diaphram in the above posted line drawing. The part that looks like a prophylactic hanging down. It does take some imagination, but I can picture the top portion of the diaphram just popping back up into the cap like we did in the old days. This phenomenon may have occurred during the bleeding of the system as part of the clutch install process, as in they let the fluid get low enough to pull the diaphram down like our old master cylinders used to do.

Just flinging my stuff against the wall to see what sticks. Like I said above, this is just a possability and the op may indeed need a new diaphram.

Jerry
I was looking at it ,and it looked like it was oversized? Like it's swelled up? Like happens when you mix the fluids.

I hope that other thing you mentioned don't do that!

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 19 Dec 2013, 08:40 am
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rasec8711 View Post

That looks like it but as mentioned did the mechanic fill it with brake fluid?

I have taken that part the Rubber(no pun intended) out of the reservoir once a year and use turkey baster to remove the fluid and fill it with fresh bake fluid.

The top portion OD should match the OD of the reservoir and the cover should thread over it.

How much did they charge you to do the clutch?

Whos clutch did you use and did you buy a new flywheel since these things are modular?

Also did you have the slave cylinder replaced?

I ask because I have 3 stick GT's and at some point will have to change the clutches and not sure if I should go mopar or after market?

89 Shadow ES 2.5 T2 +20's A555 sold
86 TurboZ CS 2.2 T2 +20's A555
90 Daytona ES 2.5 T1 A523
90 Datyona Shelby VNT needs work
00 Durango SLT+ 5.9 4x4
02 Grand Cherokee 4.7 4x4
03 PT GT Black 5 sp Stg 1
05 PT GT Silver 5 Spd Conv
06 PT GT Cool Vanilla 5 spd Conv
06 PT Base Marine Blue 40TE Conv
15 Grand Cherokee Overland 5.7 QD2
Old 19 Dec 2013, 02:10 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwpptc View Post
I HAD CONSIDERED THAT AS A POSSABILITY, but dismissed it when I noticed the LARGE formed protuberance that appears to be part of the bottom of the diaphram in the above posted line drawing. The part that looks like a prophylactic hanging down. It does take some imagination, but I can picture the top portion of the diaphram just popping back up into the cap like we did in the old days. This phenomenon may have occurred during the bleeding of the system as part of the clutch install process, as in they let the fluid get low enough to pull the diaphram down like our old master cylinders used to do.

Jerry

Yep, as I said in the above post, I had considered the use of the wrong fluid as a possability. I've ran into that situation several times over the years. Unfortunantly the first time was with a Sunbeam Tiger that went through the shop around 1968. Those little buggers would move right along, even in stock form but you couldn't stop that one til we replaced the diaphram.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Jerry

Last edited by wwpptc; 19 Dec 2013 at 02:13 pm.
Old 19 Dec 2013, 02:18 pm
Banned

Of course we'll never know if it was something simple or not until we get a reply from rasec after he goes out and checks into it. Hope he goes out soon before this simple little problem becomes a 20 page epic.

Jerry

Tags
diaphragm