Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Cruiser won't crank

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29 Dec 2013, 11:56 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Cruiser won't crank

So a couple years ago I replaced the 5 speed in my cruiser (original had a leaky axle seal and basically killed the trans...) and in that process i unknowingly pinched a wire between the bellhousing and the engine. At that time the engine would not crank and I went into diagnostic mode tracing my steps. I found the pinched wire and was able to pull it outfrom between the block and transmission. The engine would now crank over and started right away. I knew that the pinched wire was probably compromised and eventually would fail.

Fast forward to about 3 weeks ago...parked the Cruiser and a few days later went to start it. No crank. It is acting just like the pinched wire scenario. Before I try and rewire stuff on the backside of the engine in the middle of winter...can someone explain to me what that wire is? Some sort of starter override when the clutch isn't engaged? Can I jumper and bypass this at the starter relay just to see if this is my issue 100%?
Old 29 Dec 2013, 12:33 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: Cruiser won't crank

You are going to need to get the manual (it's sometime available for download here) and troubleshoot.

Your big advantage over someone trying to find a bad wire is that you know about where wire was damaged.

You could bypass the wire, if that's what it is. I do understand everyone went to CanBus at some point; I'm not sure starting system is part of this-
Old 29 Dec 2013, 08:39 pm
Veteran Cruiser

If your referring to what I think you are,funny thing is it's actually called a 'Clutch Start Switch',but that is actually located behind the clutch pedal,and sends the signal directly to the PCM,which relays the signal to the PDC,and then allows for starting in the usual way.......Before just assuming it's 'the wire scenario',have you checked all of the normal 'no start' possibilities?....Also,the 'wire' you are referring to are you positive it's not the engine ground on the bellhousing,or the wire to the starter solenoid?
Just for sh*ts & giggles,since I recently had a 'No Start' issue,have someone try to start the car,while you use a piece of wood & a hammer to bang on the top of the starter solenoid,to hopefully get the 'plunger' to come out,as they can be particularly 'sticky' in cold weather,or after sitting for a while.Other than that,like Uptown said;Since you know exactly which wire you think it is,you would be the best to repair,or bypass/jump it.
Old 21 Jan 2014, 04:04 pm
Fresh Cruiser

So I spent a little time working on the non-cranking Cruiser this last weekend (it isn't my DD so it's getting neglected) and was able to pinpoint that the starter wasn't receiving the PCM controlled ground. I jumpered the starter relay ground to the fuel pump ground but that one is also a PCM controlled ground. I can get the fuel pump relay and starter relay on thier own grounds and run the car like this but I am suspecting that the PCM is fried. I did have a fuze blow on the cigarette socket at the same time the car stopped working.

I replaced the cig fuse and checked the others and they all look good so I'm thinking the voltage spike from the fuse blowing might have done the PCM in.

Is there a way to test PCM functionality? Would a regular code reader be able to see a bad PCM or do I need to bring the whole PCM into a dealership?
Old 24 Jan 2014, 05:53 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Does anyone know if there is a fail-safe method for testing the PCM?
Old 27 Feb 2014, 12:16 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Well I bought a reprogrammed PCM thinking that the internals were fried. Still no start.

This is what I am facing;

*All headlights, horn, dome lights work
*When car is in start position, I do not hear the fuel pump
*Starter can be jumped to work when I bypass the PCM ground

Questions:
1) What is the start sequence for the PT? In other words, will the PCM not allow the starter relay to engage if the the fuel pump is not working?

2)Is the fuel pump relay ground also PCM controlled?

3)Can I bypass the PCM controlled ground all together and just ground the relays to the chassis?
Old 27 Feb 2014, 02:34 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Perhaps these will help. Your PCM is likely either missing an imput or has a bad ground.

Last edited by sanatanadharma; 09 Nov 2016 at 09:58 am.
Old 27 Feb 2014, 03:53 pm
Fresh Cruiser

So what does the PCM need to see from the 'safe start' circuitry? There must be a way to bypass or fake the PCM signal...

Any ideas?
Old 27 Feb 2014, 07:22 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Back to the beginning.
It would help A LOT to know the color (and relative) gage of the pinched wire.
I'd like to know where the two ends of this wire are. The wire may have been yanked (compromised) at a connector.

Have you GUARANTEED that the ignition switch is OK?

From the shop manual:
"The PCM requires only three inputs and a good ground to operate the fuel pump relay. The three inputs are: Ignition voltage, Crankshaft Position (CKP) sensor, Camshaft Position (CMP) sensor"

"The PCM module utilizes four wiring harness connectors
as described:
Connector Cavity A is for Power & Ground (Black)
Connector Cavity B is for Engine Side (Orange)
Connector Cavity C is for Headlamp & Dash (White)
Connector Cavity D is for (Auto) Transmission (Green) If equipped
NOTE: Connector Cavities A, B, C, And D must be connected prior to battery connection and ignition key on to avoid setting erroneous controller fault codes. It is also recommended that cavity A connector is made prior to any other connectors."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neen View Post
So a couple years ago I ... pinched a wire between the bellhousing and the engine. At that time the engine would not crank ... I found the pinched wire and was able to pull it outfrom between the block and transmission. The engine would now crank over and started right away. ... about 3 weeks ago......It is acting just like the pinched wire scenario. ...
Old 06 Mar 2014, 11:21 pm
Fresh Cruiser

More pieces of the puzzle...my ODB II port no longer works. I'm thinking I have a grounding issue somewhere. I'm thinking when the cigarette lighter fuse blew, I may have overheated the circuit and 'broke' the ground in that circuit which I am going to guess ties into the ODBII circuitry. I'm going to try and splice/run a new ground to the ODBII plug and see if that changes anything.