PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Help with belt

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29 Dec 2013, 10:21 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Help with belt

Hi, I'm new to PT forum and not sure what to do. I have a 2001 PT with 25000 miles on the clock. For the life of the car it has been used for shows and weekend drive only. Over the past nine or so months I have been using it as a daily driver. Have not had any issue until a month ago first belt on my whipple supercharger went and now I am on #3 don't have any ideas why all of the sudden belt won't stay on pulley. Contacted Whipple but all they want to do is sell me a $450 up-grade. I can't believe no one has come up with a fix that does not require days in a shop to repair.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (96.7 KB, 31 views)
Old 29 Dec 2013, 11:19 pm
Banned

Default Re: Help with belt

The bikes are nice but I want to see a picture of the Supercharger!
Old 29 Dec 2013, 11:48 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGS63 View Post
Hi, I'm new to PT forum and not sure what to do. I have a 2001 PT with 25000 miles on the clock. For the life of the car it has been used for shows and weekend drive only. Over the past nine or so months I have been using it as a daily driver. Have not had any issue until a month ago first belt on my whipple supercharger went and now I am on #3 don't have any ideas why all of the sudden belt won't stay on pulley. Contacted Whipple but all they want to do is sell me a $450 up-grade. I can't believe no one has come up with a fix that does not require days in a shop to repair.
Welcome to the forum from the great sovereign state of Arkansas. In Arkansas the age of consent is seventeen. But do not fear. You can still marry a fourteen year-old as long as you have the permission of one parent or legal guardian.

There's several older threads on this forum about Whipple superchargers. Today, a $4,000 add-on is likely not a feasible option for a PT Cruiser now worth less than $3,000. So there's not much talk of them nowadays. But there are some members that seem to have had dealings with them in the past.

As far as vendors go, these folks here seem to still sale Whipples for PT Cruisers and may be able to help you with your belt issues:

Whipple Supercharger For PT Cruiser

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 29 Dec 2013 at 11:50 pm.
Old 30 Dec 2013, 01:25 am
Banned

Lightbulb Re: Help with belt

Might want to brush up on your useless Arkansas info.

A simple google search says Consent is 16, not 17.

And it goes on to say Males under the age of seventeen (17) and females under (16) cannot marry without a court order.

Not sure where you came up with 14?????

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handy_Cruiser View Post
Welcome to the forum from the great sovereign state of Arkansas. In Arkansas the age of consent is seventeen. But do not fear. You can still marry a fourteen year-old as long as you have the permission of one parent or legal guardian.

There's several older threads on this forum about Whipple superchargers. Today, a $4,000 add-on is likely not a feasible option for a PT Cruiser now worth less than $3,000. So there's not much talk of them nowadays. But there are some members that seem to have had dealings with them in the past.

As far as vendors go, these folks here seem to still sale Whipples for PT Cruisers and may be able to help you with your belt issues:

Whipple Supercharger For PT Cruiser

Last edited by Busa_Powered; 30 Dec 2013 at 01:31 am.
Old 30 Dec 2013, 11:27 am
Fresh Cruiser

Here you go pics of supercharger and I believe I have a bad tensioner that is causing all my issues
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (94.7 KB, 22 views)
Busa_Powered likes this.
Old 30 Dec 2013, 01:47 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Could be. Does the supercharger run off the OEM tensioner or is that also an add-on from Whipple?

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 30 Dec 2013 at 02:05 pm.
Old 30 Dec 2013, 03:17 pm
Fresh Cruiser

It was a complete unit from Whipple. I just started have these issues and have been in contact with whipple, They believe like I do the tensioner mite be going bad. They also send me diagrams of the up-grades. I guess there has been two change to the system. I am waiting for a cost on up-grades.

Last edited by TGS63; 30 Dec 2013 at 03:26 pm.
Old 31 Dec 2013, 11:13 am
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
It was a complete unit from Whipple. I just started have these issues and have been in contact with whipple, They believe like I do the tensioner mite be going bad. They also send me diagrams of the up-grades. I guess there has been two change to the system. I am waiting for a cost on up-grades.
Those diagrams of the upgrades pretty much indicate that there were problems and attempts to fix them from Whipple. Do you know which set up, as it sits, is in your car now?
Old 31 Dec 2013, 01:07 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I have the 1st. design, but I found out through Whipple that a pinch weld on the innerfender needed to be flatened. I have attached the info Whipple sent me. Before I drop $450 for the up-grades I going to see if this was done. I trust the shop doing the work and gave this information to them, Friday it goes in and I will post up-dates as I get them from the shop. One last thing the shop also believes the original belt was a 1/4 to 1/2 of an inch to long and as it came around the power steering pulley it would stretch just enough to catch the pinch weld, the shop is going to replace the belt with a smaller diameter belt. The original belt was a Gates KO40233 4 Rib 23.3" belt, Gates has a belt about 3/8 short we are going to try this out. Sorry about the attachment its not very clear but it can be read.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen shot 2013-12-31 at 11.53.13 AM.jpg (20.8 KB, 9 views)

Last edited by TGS63; 31 Dec 2013 at 01:10 pm. Reason: was not finished
Old 31 Dec 2013, 06:08 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
I have the 1st. design, but I found out through Whipple that a pinch weld on the innerfender needed to be flatened. I have attached the info Whipple sent me. Before I drop $450 for the up-grades I going to see if this was done. I trust the shop doing the work and gave this information to them, Friday it goes in and I will post up-dates as I get them from the shop. One last thing the shop also believes the original belt was a 1/4 to 1/2 of an inch to long and as it came around the power steering pulley it would stretch just enough to catch the pinch weld, the shop is going to replace the belt with a smaller diameter belt. The original belt was a Gates KO40233 4 Rib 23.3" belt, Gates has a belt about 3/8 short we are going to try this out. Sorry about the attachment its not very clear but it can be read.
Fabreezai Is running one of these on mater. He may have some Ideas on the belt.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com