Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
PO601/refurbished computer puzzle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 31 Dec 2013, 03:31 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default PO601/refurbished computer puzzle

A couple months ago, our '01 PT started cutting out frequently and the PO601 code indicated computer malfunction. After trying a used Ebay computer which didn't work (because it wouldn't recognize the original key/SKIM system), I purchased a refurbished computer from Auto Computer Exchange (and they programmed it for my VIN). I installed the computer myself (this was about 3 weeks ago) and things seemed great--no more cutting out, it seemed to be running just great. (However, one thing that did puzzle me was that the PO601 code did not go away, it has remained there all along.) (Oh, I forgot to mention that when I originally unplugged our original computer, there was oil in the plug, so we replaced the oil pressure sending unit which seemed to solve that problem. This was solved before I installed the Auto Computer Exchange computer.) SO like I said, everything was going great, but yesterday, it acted up a few times (it cut out a few times). I just checked the codes an hour ago at auto parts store just to see what would show, and the only code was PO601. So, I am disappointed and puzzled. I believed that the original computer problem was caused by oil getting up into that plug, but I just checked the plugs a little while ago: no oil in there. So it seems strange to me that the same (?) problem appears to be returning. Any thoughts/suggestions would be super-welcome. Thank you!!
Old 31 Dec 2013, 04:25 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: PO601/refurbished computer puzzle

I would swap the reburbed PCM for another one if everything else checks out good.

While Auto Computer Exchange performs a whole list of tests on each PCM they refurbish, they may not replace the memory chip if no error is given during testing. If I remember right, it was only the first year or so of PT's that had this problem. So there is likely no reason to change the memory of a PCM that tests out good on the bench. But of course, these early memory chips could fail at any time. So you may have gotten a reburb with a ready-to-fail memory chip.

If everything else checks out and you are sure there is no oil in the plug or wiring harness to the plug, then swapping the PCM is a reasonable next step. I just swapped out my PCM yesterday. And the P601 code is gone.
Old 31 Dec 2013, 06:02 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Lightbulb Re: PO601/refurbished computer puzzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by paperback View Post
I purchased a refurbished computer from Auto Computer Exchange
Call them;They are pretty good at making things right,they may send you a new refurbished one for free,and even send you a pre-paid shipping label to send that one back to them.....So,you really won't be out anything more than your removal & re-install time.