Advertisements
Hood Latch Won't close

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Handy_Cruiser

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02 Jan 2014, 10:45 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Hood Latch Won't close

Hey guys, I'm here with another problem! I searched Google and the forums, couldn't find anything that was dead on relevant. I'm at work so no pics yet. Stay with me, I'll give you all relevant information so you guys can get an idea on whats going instead on me saying "it won't latch!" and expecting the correct answer.

Ok, I live in MI. Every day I travel from country roads (which I've discover the cruiser dislikes) to Lansing. If you're up-to-date with the weather, its been real fun with all the snow. This morning was 9 degrees F. Anyway, i ran out of washer fluid so I needed to pop the hood to refill it except the lever in the cabin wouldn't budge. My neighbor came over to help and his first attempt snapped the plastic in half. His second attempt actually popped the hood open, hooray!

He put wd-40 on the latch, refilled the washer fluid, and tried to shut the hood, its a no go. You guys probably know that the car has two hood latches. The first one is opened from the cabin. The second one is the lever in front on the car, where you put your hand into to open it. The second one latches, the first latch does not.

We popped the hood and thinking it may be frozen, took a hair-dryer to it. It still didn't shut. We played with the latch, it moves in the correct way (at least i think it does). But for some reason it won't close! On a hutch, my neighbor played with the cabin latch and none on the mechanisms inside the latch moved, so the cable might be broken as well. But the hood should shut, right? Even if the cable is broken?

I know this is long, but if anyone has any questions or need clarification, just ask.

As always, thanks in advance,
Josh
Old 02 Jan 2014, 10:59 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Hood Latch Won't close

Watch this video:

While this video is about opening a stuck hood latch, it may also help you. If your latch is stuck in the close position (possibly due to a broken or frozen cable), this video shows how to get it into the open position.
randyincctx likes this.
Old 02 Jan 2014, 11:00 am
Veteran Cruiser

Lightbulb Re: Hood Latch Won't close

You should be able to check the operation of the primary & secondary hood latch mechanisms @ the latch plate itself using a Phillips head screwdriver in place of the hood 'pin/catch'.....
Old 02 Jan 2014, 11:17 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handy_Cruiser View Post
If your latch is stuck in the close position (possibly due to a broken or frozen cable), this video shows how to get it into the open position.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but shouldn't the hood still close even if the the cable is frozen (it makes sense, but then again each car is different.). Also, does the release cable run underneath the car body? If so, there might be ice encased on it....

Quote:
Originally Posted by randyincctx View Post
You should be able to check the operation of the primary & secondary hood latch mechanisms @ the latch plate itself using a Phillips head screwdriver in place of the hood 'pin/catch'.....
I know the secondary latch does work, its springy (at least as of yesterday). The primary one, I'm not sure. I go to lunch soon and I'll test it out. Thankfully my neighbor forgot a screwdriver yesterday and he left it in my car.
Old 02 Jan 2014, 12:18 pm
Senior Cruiser

it runs through the firewall. If it is infact rusted/frozen, it may be stuck in the open position. Mine does this occasionally.
FS: '03 GT Elec Blue w/rear suicide doors or '03 auto PCM, S3 turbofold, WGA, 3.5" o2 & 3" DP - make offer
Old 02 Jan 2014, 12:21 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by OurPTGT View Post
it runs through the firewall. If it is infact rusted/frozen, it may be stuck in the open position. Mine does this occasionally.
Yeah, I just checked it. It indeed seems to be stuck in the open position. Which explains why it wouldn't "lock". The bottom spring seems slightly stretched but I can still poke it and bend it with a screwdriver.

Did you figure out a way to make it lock again, or is the answer going to be bungee cords?

Tags
hood, hood latch, latch