PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Insurance Options for An Aging PT Cruiser?

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04 Jan 2014, 10:54 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Question Insurance Options for An Aging PT Cruiser?

I searched the forum and found that all the threads on insurance were several years old. Conditions have changes a lot since then as our PT Cruisers get older. So I want to start a new discussion.

As of today January 4th, 2014, in my ZIP code, my 2001 Limited in Good Condition is worth $2,730 according to Kelly Blueboook if selling it myself. And strangely, the trade-in value is much less at only $1,717. I figure that's the wholesale value. Of course, I could not replace this car for that price with all the accessories and new parts I've added.

Normally I only run liability insurance on older vehicles with add-ons for medical and uninsured motorist. As long as someone hits me, I'm covered. But if I hit someone else or some thing, then the damage I cause to others is paid for but not my PT. Since I'm middle-aged and own lots of insured cars and an insured home, this only costs me right at $100 every six months for the PT through Shelter.

So what are good options for full coverage insurance on an old PT Cruiser? Do most of you carry full coverage that won't really pay the cost of replacing your modified PT? Or do you just pay for liability and then just plan on buying another PT and starting over if you hit something?

And are there companies that sell decently priced "hot rod" true replacement insurance for a PT Cruiser that is only 13 years old?

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 04 Jan 2014 at 11:11 am.
Old 04 Jan 2014, 12:07 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: Insurance Options for An Aging PT Cruiser?

check with Hagerty Grundy for hot rod insurance. be sure to ask the replacement value of your mods. be specific with your questions, some insurance companies can be misleading with their answers.
Old 04 Jan 2014, 02:13 pm
Banned

I have a customization form for my PT GT valued at 5000 dollars.

Insurance knows of my mods and has my receipts but then again all of my parts are new, and not taken from a junk yard.
Old 04 Jan 2014, 04:43 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Cool Re: Insurance Options for An Aging PT Cruiser?

Of course I am Ret military.....but, with USSA, all you have to do is get your basic vehicle insurance and keep receipts for the mods.
Of course, unless you are going to "race"!

When I have two PTs like I do now, in order to keep the wiffie from complaining, I just significantly up the deductible on comprehensive; and slightly increase collision deductible. That makes the insurance about the same as one with complete coverage.

2011 GWE Dodge Challenger SRT8 as Show Car
2003 PT Cruiser GT Panel Van Conversion as new day driver.

Have now owned 6 PT Cruisers = Me PT Crazy!
Old 04 Jan 2014, 06:40 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by soonercruiser View Post
Of course I am Ret military.....but, with USSA, all you have to do is get your basic vehicle insurance and keep receipts for the mods.
Of course, unless you are going to "race"!

When I have two PTs like I do now, in order to keep the wiffie from complaining, I just significantly up the deductible on comprehensive; and slightly increase collision deductible. That makes the insurance about the same as one with complete coverage.
I used to be in the US Army Reserve and I have a USAA membership. I will check this out with them to see what kind of deal they can come up with. Thanks.
Old 04 Jan 2014, 07:28 pm
Banned

Sooner has USSA insurance, I think that is different

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handy_Cruiser View Post
I used to be in the US Army Reserve and I have a USAA membership. I will check this out with them to see what kind of deal they can come up with. Thanks.
Old 04 Jan 2014, 07:41 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Cool Re: Insurance Options for An Aging PT Cruiser?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busa_Powered View Post
Sooner has USSA insurance, I think that is different
Nope!
If he is currently a USAA member (bank, whatever..) he qualifies to by their insurance.
I've never been disappointed by USAA....even when soonercruiser needed $6,800 to repair hail damage.

2011 GWE Dodge Challenger SRT8 as Show Car
2003 PT Cruiser GT Panel Van Conversion as new day driver.

Have now owned 6 PT Cruisers = Me PT Crazy!
Old 04 Jan 2014, 09:03 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Exclamation Re: Insurance Options for An Aging PT Cruiser?

Here in Texas liability coverage is about 98% of a full coverage policy,and here in Texas....If you don't carry 'unisured/underinsured' coverage,it's like bringing a knife to a gun-fight;Texas has TOO many 'people' running around,driving like idiots,with no-insurance(Hell most don't even have a license!).
oldthom likes this.
Old 04 Jan 2014, 11:03 pm
Banned

I was just repeating what sooner originally had said

Quote:
Originally Posted by soonercruiser View Post
Nope!
If he is currently a USAA member (bank, whatever..) he qualifies to by their insurance.
I've never been disappointed by USAA....even when soonercruiser needed $6,800 to repair hail damage.
Old 05 Jan 2014, 09:52 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by randyincctx View Post
Here in Texas liability coverage is about 98% of a full coverage policy,and here in Texas....If you don't carry 'unisured/underinsured' coverage,it's like bringing a knife to a gun-fight;Texas has TOO many 'people' running around,driving like idiots,with no-insurance(Hell most don't even have a license!).
Same here for the number of folks with no insurance and no license. Most with no license are either undocumented immigrants or those that have DUI's and either had their licenses taken away or could not afford the SR22 insurance required to get them back. But those that just don't have insurance of any type seem to run the entire spectrum. Uninsured motorists is pretty well a must here too. Also, the state only requires $25,000 in liability, but most folks carry at least $50,000. And I'm not even sure that's enough.