Advertisements
Temperature Gauge Problem

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04 Jan 2014, 08:01 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Send a message via MSN to Trinity Send a message via Yahoo to Trinity
Default Temperature Gauge Problem

My cruiser is a 2003 Touring edition with 63,000 miles. I had my car in the shop and had work on it that included new thermostat, sensor, thermostat housing, thermostat cap, fan, coolant flush and new coolant. The shop used Chrysler parts. I got the car back yesterday. I've been watching the needle on the temperature gauge and it tends to wobble at bit between normal and just slightly below. Tonight the needle started going up and got just about to the mark past normal then went back down to normal. The reason I took my car in was because it was starting to overheat. Any ideas as to what could be causing this?
Old 04 Jan 2014, 08:18 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Lightbulb Re: Temperature Gauge Problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trinity View Post
The reason I took my car in was because it was starting to overheat. Any ideas as to what could be causing this?
Yeah....They probably didn't do something right;Could be as simple as not bleeding all the air out properly.
Most states require shops to give at least a 30-90 day gaurantee;I say take it back to the shop,and tell them it's still running hot.
Old 05 Jan 2014, 11:42 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: Temperature Gauge Problem

As much as I have had changed within the last two weeks what else could be left to cause a problem like this.
Old 05 Jan 2014, 11:53 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trinity View Post
As much as I have had changed within the last two weeks what else could be left to cause a problem like this.
Randyincctx's answer is probably the answer and there won't be any "what else?" Well there is one "what else" if you badly overheated the engine in the first place that was the reason you took it to the dealer, you could have a warped head, blown head gasket and subsequent leak.

But it's very common in Cruisers for the fluid fill to need a bit of monitoring at first. So, have you opened the radiator cap with the engine cool and checked the level? Is the fluid in the recovery tank at the "Hot" mark when the system is hot and at the "Cold" mark when the system has cooled down?

The system works like this: If the system is totally full it resists boiling when it's sealed and under pressure. If there are any pockets of trapped air, those pockets will become pockets of expanding steam that will push more fluid into the recovery tank, over filling it and dumping the excess on the ground. Then when the system cools back down it will draw the fluid back in from the recovery tank but there won't be enough so more air will be drawn in and the next heat up cycle you get more steam, more dumping, etc. The first response is to top off the radiator and the recovery tank to the mark, then check it all again after the next heat up/cool down cycle. And perhaps one or two more times after that. Only after you have done that do you go looking for other problems.
Old 06 Jan 2014, 09:06 am
Fresh Cruiser

I have not opened the radiator cap and checked when the engine is cool. When my husband was checking something else for me I looked at the coolant container and it looked like the level was still showing in the hot area even after the car had sat for over an hour. Thanks for the info. I'm taking it in this morning as asking them about it.

Edited to add: Just got back from the shop. The mechanic seems to think the sensor is faulty. He told me if the heater was blowing continuous hot air then there isn't air in the system. He's going to check it over again to make sure he didn't miss anything.

Last edited by Trinity; 06 Jan 2014 at 09:51 am. Reason: Adding
Old 06 Jan 2014, 10:38 am
Senior Cruiser

It's possible it's the sensor. They can get a bit wacky from age and after being exposed to higher than normal temps. It's just that in the case of any abnormalities right after a cooling system service, the first thing I suspect is a less than complete fill.

Please don't think I was being harsh or brushing you off with my earlier post. You are actually doing the right thing by being aware and asking questions here. Hopefully your mechanic will sort it all out.

The temp gauge in the Cruisers is controlled by the main computer and the needle display is actually an average of the temp over a few minutes. This is purposely so the gauge changes slowly without rapid spikes which might tend to make some people nervous. That's good that people don't get excited about "normal" fluctuations but not so good, in a way, if you don't see an "abnormal" spike until a while after the event.
Old 06 Jan 2014, 10:43 am
Obsessed Cruiser

This sounds more like the initial problem was not diagnosed correctly. Reading the first post instead of the shop not doing installs od parts and procedures wrong.

quote from Trinity post 1: "The reason I took my car in was because it was starting to overheat."
Old 07 Jan 2014, 12:32 am
Fresh Cruiser

My dh was the one who changed the thermostat and sensor out initially. The car developed a coolant leak right after these parts were changed thus the overheating problem. The needle moving around slightly, except for when it went to the mark above normal, is very slow and gradual and not rapid. The mechanic thought the extreme cold weather we are having is causing it even though I have never known of it to happen in the 10 years I have had this car. I admit to becoming a bit paranoid as I don't want to break down alone or with my child in the cold.

You guys have been a lot of help and given me good information.
Old 11 Jan 2014, 05:45 pm
Regular Cruiser

More of a question than a problem along these lines. My 01 has come close to overheating on me twice in the last year or so. First time the fan went out around March of 2013, thankfully still spring in Arizona. The second time was 12/26/2013, and wound up being a water pump (I know, I should've taken the warning & replaced at 70k, but held off) and they replaced the thermostat at the same time. I'm noticing now that my PT is always right at the midway mark or a hair above/below depending on the temperature, speed, highway vs. freeway etc. Before the thermostat was changed sometimes on cold (40 F) mornings at freeway speeds the gauge would only register up to the first hash above the blue cold mark. Has anyone else seen their PT report very low/cool operating temperatures in cold weather?

Oogway - Aquamarine 2001 PT Cruiser Limited
Alpine iDA-X200 DMR headunit w/ Sirius Satellite Radio
Old 11 Jan 2014, 06:24 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxPT View Post
More of a question than a problem along these lines. My 01 has come close to overheating on me twice in the last year or so. First time the fan went out around March of 2013, thankfully still spring in Arizona. The second time was 12/26/2013, and wound up being a water pump (I know, I should've taken the warning & replaced at 70k, but held off) and they replaced the thermostat at the same time. I'm noticing now that my PT is always right at the midway mark or a hair above/below depending on the temperature, speed, highway vs. freeway etc. Before the thermostat was changed sometimes on cold (40 F) mornings at freeway speeds the gauge would only register up to the first hash above the blue cold mark. Has anyone else seen their PT report very low/cool operating temperatures in cold weather?
The way your gauge is now is normal.
I have driven my PT in temps well below zero, and after 10 miles, the needle is around halfway and stays there - independent of outside temperature.
wwpptc likes this.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles